Keyboard Height?

Hell all I check the forum search and it seems there hasn't been a topic on it yet so i thought id bring it up because I was curios.So my question to you guys is do you like using the flip up stands on the bottom of your keyboard or do you run it stock flat on your desk. I would also like to here your opinion as to why you like it the way you have it. Thanks and I hope to spark some conversation!

Corsair 650d, Core i5 3570k, H100, Galaxy gtx670, Asus z77 vDeluxe Mobo, 16g kingston hyper x memory.

I like it flat because having it higher forces my wrists to bend further back which makes the strain on them greater when I type for extended periods.

It's more comfortable as well. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I was planning to make this thread though. People will think I'm strange. You should make this as a poll. I want to see the result :P

I tested on flipping those feet up and down. As a result, elevated keyboard will make me type faster. There is reason why organ keyboards have 1 set of keys up and 1 set down and have an elevated looking.

I keep mine down. I hear that raising your keyboard (as well as using wrist rests) are not very healthy so I don't use them. 

My mom also broke the feet of my keyboard so even if I did want to use them, I can't. :P

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

My mom also broke the feet of my keyboard so even if I did want to use them, I can't. :P

Mechanical keyboard?

I was planning to make this thread though. People will think I'm strange. You should make this as a poll. I want to see the result :P

I tested on flipping those feet up and down. As a result, elevated keyboard will make me type faster. There is reason why organ keyboards have 1 set of keys up and 1 set down and have an elevated looking.

I shall definitely make it a pole!

Corsair 650d, Core i5 3570k, H100, Galaxy gtx670, Asus z77 vDeluxe Mobo, 16g kingston hyper x memory.

Mechanical keyboard?

No, it's just a cheap membrane keyboard that I'm using for now. If it was a mechanical keyboard then I'd be pretty pissed at my mom.

I'm getting my first mechanical soon though! Very excited.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

No, it's just a cheap membrane keyboard that I'm using for now. If it was a mechanical keyboard then I'd be pretty pissed at my mom.

I'm getting my first mechanical soon though! Very excited.

Mechanical keyboard leg stand should be strong. Otherwise, sue the company for selling an expensive mechanical keyboard with a cheap leg stand. :D

I have them raised up. Even with laptops I have to angle them to type comfortably

This has to be the shortest post on this forum, but thank you for sharing your thoughts!

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I use a Ducky wrist rest and i use my Ducky flat. Just feel comfortable that way.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Actually the feet at the bottom of the board isn't for comfort. Its for people who can't touch type and have to look at the keyboard. It allows them to see the letters easier and actually is supposed to be less ergonomical and having the board flat is better for your wrists.

Current Keyboards: Ergodox w/ clears, Poker 2 w/ clears, Ducky G2 Pro w/ Blues

Usually i prefer the flatter the better meaning feet up/in not down/out. I also always use a wrist rest with all my keyboards which I can nearly no longer live without when typing for extended periods. After switching keycaps on a few of my keyboards that arnt adjustable in height I have noticed that the angle/profile of the keycap really determines how flat or not I want the keyboard most because I couldnt just go and adjust this.

I remember a poll on GeekHack way back that threw a wrist rest into the mix as well. If I remember the results correctly the majority was split between feet in/up with wrist rest and feet out/down no wrist rest.

Actually the feet at the bottom of the board isn't for comfort. Its for people who can't touch type and have to look at the keyboard. It allows them to see the letters easier and actually is supposed to be less ergonomical and having the board flat is better for your wrists.

this is actually not true at all just look at laptops for a simple example. And in the past it was though that hiogher angle was more ergonomic. this was also back when keyboards came with warnings on them about prolonged useage. The feet are basically to adjust the angle of keyboard to your preferance for the angled keycaps. Early boards Like Model F and Model M sometimes had adjustable or multiple feet. One such board today that has multiple feet is the Happy Hacking Keyboard.

I recently switched to flat, because when it's raised you can develop RSI. I even found it more comfortable after I got used to it.

I've just recently switched to keeping it flat, and it actually does feel a lot better to type on once you get used to it.

Having the back raised really doesn't make sense at all when you think about it. :lol:

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I've just recently switched to keeping it flat, and it actually does feel a lot better to type on once you get used to it.

Having the back raised really doesn't make sense at all when you think about it. :lol:

get a decent wrist rest as well and you might see another comfort improvement as well. I prefer rests 4.25in in width but their very uncommon retail. I have use a 3.5in one and just spaced it a bit from the keyboard. Elite Keyboards have nice leather ones for just about any size keyboard. Otherwise on GeekHack there should be at least one person making custom ones to order. 

get a decent wrist rest as well and you might see another comfort improvement as well. I prefer rests 4.25in in width but their very uncommon retail. I have use a 3.5in one and just spaced it a bit from the keyboard. Elite Keyboards have nice leather ones for just about any size keyboard. Otherwise on GeekHack there should be at least one person making custom ones to order. 

The Trigger comes with a very nice rubberized wrist rest, and I'm certainly enjoying it.  It makes typing feel that much more fluid.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

The Trigger comes with a very nice rubberized wrist rest, and I'm certainly enjoying it.  It makes typing feel that much more fluid.

gotcha I had no clue which board you had and I assumed it didnt come wit one as I have had a board come with one since my 7G (like when it launched) o and a POS Xarmor wireless mechanical board which never made it on because it was like a inch wide and flimsy as hell like the rest of the board.

• 3 years later...

Often, for keyboard height, I will use an angled aluminum case on my keyboards, however, if I don't have an angled case on the board, I will simply run it flat.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)