CPU, Motherboard and RAM!

Hello so I've decided to upgrade my PC. I'm gonna be puting in Intel i7 4790K in my system. My rig right now is:

MSI 760GM-P21

AMD FX 6100

ASUS Strix GTX 970

Plextor 8GB of 1333Mhz of RAM (don't know the timings tho)

WD Caviar Green 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache

Corsair RM 750

Cooler Master TX3

Fractal Design Define R4

Bottlenecking is too much for me to wait for broadwell or skylake. In ARMA 3 my CPU throttles while my VGA is around 40-50ish %. Rendering a 4 minutes 1080p60fps video .mp4 takes up about 20ish minutes. It's time for this CPU to go.

My goals are:

Overclocking

SLI (maybe)

Silence

Quality 1080p gaming

Streaming (maybe)

Rendering

Capturing in-game videos

So I want to spend another 200-250bucks for a motherboard. I want quality motherboard that could really benefit my needs.

I heard ASUS Maximus VII Hero is very good. But what are other options?

Next thing is RAM. I'm gonna be gaming and rendering videos and I want good RAM. I may overclock those if CPU multiplier won't get me where I want since messimg around with base clock also means that I am overclocking or declocking my PCI-E, RAM and other stuff. So what RAM should I get? And what timing and frequency RAM would benefit my needs? I'm gonna be putting 16GB of those bad boys and ofcourse I'm switching to SSD only. It's going to be Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. I'm also considering a GTX 980 Classified or (if AMD 300 series are going to beat that I'm gonna consider one of those) 390x or whatever it's going to be called. And the next thing is going to be 2x8GB Bones or 4x4GB bones? I know z97 only supports dual channel and I heard that some boards makes 4 bones to be 2 dual channels.

Thanks for your opinios and sorry for a long post. :)

No wonder you're having issues, I wouldn't have touched that mobo with a 10 foot barge pole.

iirc, and correct me if i'm wrong but your current mobo has a 3+1 VRM. I wouldn't have put an FX 6000 in anything less than a quality 970 board, ideally 990fx.

That is probably the source of your problems.

That said, the fx will bottleneck the gtx 970 in some games so you may as well upgrade.

If you want a ROG board get the ranger as there is no point in getting more expensive ones unless you want the features. Intel chips dont require the VRMs that the FX does and you don't need an expensive board.

Overlocking RAM isn't really going to get you any noticable benefits imo, but if you want to do it by all means do. May aswell get 2x8gb and give yourself upgrade space, even though 16 is more than sufficient.

Also the 970 is still a good card, what res are you using? because if it is 1080p don't bother to upgrade, it should still be fine at 1440p for the most part.

Good luck.

Thanks man. But are there any other options besides ROG? Or the ROG is the best to go with? There should be mobos that does compete woth it right?

Thanks man. But are there any other options besides ROG? Or the ROG is the best to go with? There should be mobos that does compete woth it right?

MSI Gaming and Gigabyte Gaming boards are just as good as ROG with a lower price tag. I got a MaximusVII Hero and imo the extra features are worthless. I would get a better cooler if you're going to OC to the max.

What about RAM? Do I need 1866 CL 9 or more freq. or less freq. and better timings?

What about RAM? Do I need 1866 CL 9 or more freq. or less freq. and better timings?

You'll want a higher freq. for video rendering, so I'd get 1866, CL9 is fine.