HELP! i7-4790k Overheating!

Go to solution Solved by zonahbear,

Yea okay so i opened up bios and got the same thing ! So yea i ripped the side off this sucker and started pushing on the actual cooler to press it firmly on the cpu and the temps dropped alot. They also shot up when i let it go because apparently this stock cooler has terrible mounting legs. There plastic and small .. But even when i press on it for awhile the temps dont go below 70.. think thats because of the contact?

Have you pushed them down and turned them clockwise to lock them down?

Okay so ive got a Intel I7-4790k that i picked up at micro center. It seems to be running fine I havnt noticed any real issues. I started looking at the temps on cpuid and real temp to see what temps i was reaching were and It was high! Ive got the stock cooler attached and its deffantaly fully attached so i dont think thats the problem. I made sure i installed it correctly, this isnt my first build. Ive got the Asus maximus vii formula Motherboard and i dont currently have a graphics card in my system so im not sure if the cpu is getting hot due to it processing the gpu end of the build for now. But the idle temps rest around 75C and both programs say that the highest temp while i was playing CSGO was 100C ... now from my understanding thats way too hot. Its not shutting down tho and it doesnt seem to be reacting to it. Idk Im a bit confused. I plan on water cooling in the future but im still waiting. Either way the thing idles at 75C when im not playing any games. Its at 75 right now while i type this .. Ive heard of bad batches of 4790k's but is that true? All help and Any Comments would be greatful! Thanks In advance!

Also when i stick my hand in the case it doesnt feel hot at all ive got a corsair 760t so its got lots of air!

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

@dnkgaming

75C idle is way too high.  Something is absolutely wrong with your mounting.  Plus, you live in Michigan, its freaking cold up north.

Maybe use HWiNFO to monitor your temps, perhaps its just a bad sensor or something?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Stock cooler is not all that great. Try an aftermarket cooler for lower temps

Yea but his cpu should not be idling at 75c even with the stock cooler

Okay so i downloaded HWiNFO and its telling me the same thing the others did.

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Okay so i downloaded HWiNFO and its telling me the same thing the others did.

Please check your temps in the bios

Yea but his cpu should not be idling at 75c even with the stock cooler

I must be tired, I thought he was OCing it. With a stock clock that IS no Bueno. If HWinfo confirms those temps, then try reseating the cooler.

Yea okay so i opened up bios and got the same thing ! So yea i ripped the side off this sucker and started pushing on the actual cooler to press it firmly on the cpu and the temps dropped alot. They also shot up when i let it go because apparently this stock cooler has terrible mounting legs. There plastic and small .. But even when i press on it for awhile the temps dont go below 70.. think thats because of the contact?

Also when i booted into my bios the megatrends Warning came up and said my cpu was overheating :( thats not good!

Should i go get some thermal paste and fix what there and see if that helps solve the problem for now?

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Zonahbear! That was it! As soon as i flipped those tabs clockwise and re-pressed the tabs the Heatsink clicked in better. Two of them wernt clockwise. Two were and I originally had clicked them all in place.. thats why it just recently started to Overheat! Guess im still an amature ! Thanks for that Tho Temps are resting at 39-41C. Its funny becuase whenever I moved my mouse curser around on the screen my processor was making loud little clicks really fast I guess thats the noise of processing... and now it stopped. So im glad I found that !

Zonahbear! That was it! As soon as i flipped those tabs clockwise and re-pressed the tabs the Heatsink clicked in better. Two of them wernt clockwise. Two were and I originally had clicked them all in place.. thats why it just recently started to Overheat! Guess im still an amature ! Thanks for that Tho Temps are resting at 39-41C. Its funny becuase whenever I moved my mouse curser around on the screen my processor was making loud little clicks really fast I guess thats the noise of processing... and now it stopped. So im glad I found that !

I had this issue when I built my PC too. Glad to help! :)

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

Hows that for a low cpu temp and a high cpu temp ! Lol

CAM00669

Much better, but not great.  Invest in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO at least.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Im planning on going with a fully custom EK water loop soon. Im just gonna wait it out. I just need 2 970s and the water cooling stuff! Then ill be done.. i think.. oh yea and some of those custom sleeved cables eventually! I dont think i could put a beast like that in my case lol Im going for the looks.

Much better. :D

Dell Inspiron 3147

Nice! Pretty good temps for the stock cooler.I recommend you get a Hyper 212 EVO. Nothing but great things to say about it. And best price to performance IMO.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

Nice! Pretty good temps for the stock cooler.I recommend you get a Hyper 212 EVO. Nothing but great things to say about it. And best price to performance IMO.

^^

can speak from experience

Dell Inspiron 3147