Great new modding idea

asim1999

Since the Big Bang Fair is 19 days away (the place where people can get sponsored for uni and other stuff), i was thinking about taking my idea to the next level (getting sponsored to build the ultimate modded and watercooled PC). I was thinking, instead of using a controller to control the RGB LED strips inside the computer, why not control them via your phone/tablet or even through the PC using software, and also make them react to music and other stuff.

Is this a good idea, and can it be done?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Since the Big Bang Fair is 19 days away (the place where people can get sponsored for uni and other stuff), i was thinking about taking my idea to the next level (getting sponsored to build the ultimate modded and watercooled PC). I was thinking, instead of using a controller to control the RGB LED strips inside the computer, why not control them via your phone/tablet or even through the PC using software, and also make them react to music and other stuff.

Is this a good idea, and can it be done?

It can be done , I thought about the same thing but it will be too complex and need some electronic devices like arduino and some programming skill - I suggets not doing that if you are not skilled in electronics - is not easy / you will have to develop and app for phones to controll those light ( start a whole company )

BTW have you get sponsored by any manufcture company?

It can be done , I thought about the same thing but it will be too complex and need some electronic devices like arduino and some programming skill - I suggets not doing that if you are not skilled in electronics - is not easy / you will have to develop and app for phones to controll those light ( start a whole company )

Or just buy the predone controller from eBay for $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Wireless-RGB-Wifi-LED-Controller-WIFI370-Music-By-Android-IOS-DC12V-/251628964748?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3a96414b8c

It says music in the title... but I don't think this is the one that will beat to the music, I know they exist though.

Or just buy the predone controller from eBay for $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Wireless-RGB-Wifi-LED-Controller-WIFI370-Music-By-Android-IOS-DC12V-/251628964748?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3a96414b8c

It says music in the title... but I don't think this is the one that will beat to the music, I know they exist though.

ok right , i  didnt know they excist but you will be focus only on adroid users and it can only be controlled and sync with music -which for me is nothing

Looks neat, might get one for my room as well as PC. What other hardware do i need aside from this, and the LEDs and a device to control them with 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

@Scheer, thanks for the suggestion, will look into it, however, what other hardware will i need in order to run it inside a computer aside from a phone and stripping off the end of an LED strip and connecting the bare wires 

ok right , i  didnt know they excist but you will be focus only on adroid users and it can only be controlled and sync with music -which for me is nothing

There are several variants, ones that have an embedded web server so you just browse to the IP, ones with Android and iOS apps, etc.

@Scheer, thanks for the suggestion, will look into it, however, what other hardware will i need in order to run it inside a computer aside from a phone and stripping off the end of an LED strip and connecting the bare wires 

Just a way to power it, that one looks like it has screw terminals so a male molex with pigtails is all that you would need. You can just buy a molex to sata adapter and cut off the sata plug along with one of the black wires and one red wire leaving you with a +12V (yellow) and return (black). Some use a 5.5x2.1mm barrel plug, in which case you would need to adapt a male molex to one.

There are several variants, ones that have an embedded web server so you just browse to the IP, ones with Android and iOS apps, etc.

Just a way to power it, that one looks like it has screw terminals so a male molex with pigtails is all that you would need. You can just buy a molex to sata adapter and cut off the sata plug along with one of the black wires and one red wire leaving you with a +12V (yellow) and return (black). Some use a 5.5x2.1mm barrel plug, in which case you would need to adapt a male molex to one.

Or could i just use a SATA to floppy adapter and cut off the Floppy end?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390343840781?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Yep

Thanks, might add 2 if i am using a 900D as i can hook them up to the same network 

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to impress, you gotta make the whole thing be functional.. Wireless power buttons, rgb led strips at you fingertips ,volume control, mute, reset everything.