Various smallest possible 970 builds

zeedee-h

I want to build the smallest possible machine I can with a GTX 970, either full sized or one like the small Asus 970 DC Mini. I will be using it for medium gaming, perhaps elite dangerous with the rift if it can handle it. I also do graphic design work but it should be able to hand that fine.

I have access to a 3D printer and plan on using that to make a custom case to mount everything as the layouts are pretty weird.

Modelled some layouts of all the possibilities I can think of, heres a rundown:

#1 Mini ITX board, with the DC Mini placed underneath and connected with a PCIE ribbon. This would most likely have terrible airflow as the fan is facing the board. Standard small 400w psu and ssd, and some kind of low profile cooler. Anyone tried something like this?

#2 The smallest design I could come up with, like #1 but using a tiny psu like this and some kind of really low profile cpu cooler.

#3 Placing the 970 on top of the board with a pcie ribbon, and cooling with cpu with the Seidon 120M. Radiator and fan placed under the board. Standard small psu. I think this build could work pretty well, there is about 1cm space under the board and space for more storage.

#4 After making #3 I realised It could pretty much fit a full size 970 with a bit of moving around and a slimmer radiator fan.

#5 Smallest I could come up with using a standard psu and no pcie ribbon. Uses the seidon 120m and standard 120mm fan.

#6 Previous design but with the tiny Athena Power psu and ssd placed under the radiator, saves a tiny bit of space but is more expensive.

#7 Control. Smallest standard mini itx design. This could also be done with the DC mini to save a bit of space.

Am I crazy? Should I just buy a laptop or a mac pro? I'd prefer the possibility to upgrade!

Which design do you guys think is the best? notice any problems? Cheers

jROrEQr.jpg

Yeah I checked that out its a few mm bigger than the asus ;)Would there be much performance difference?  doesn't look like there would be.

wow i had a concept like this but external psu and no 120mm rad mount. I hope someone brings something like this to market.

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

wow i had a concept like this but external psu and no 120mm rad mount. I hope someone brings something like this to market.

Will be tough to use an external PSU in this situation. Could be a nice idea for OP though. 

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

The one withvthe seidon seems like the best one as it will prevent the inside tenps for rising too much due to cpu ccoolers hot air. That together with a rear exauhsting gpu would be ideal for something this small.

My rig. Case & psu: evga hadron air. Cpu: Intel i5 4690k. Gpu: MSI gtx970 4gd5 OC. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z97n gaming 3. Ram: 2x4gb Crucial Balistics Tactical @ 1866mhz. Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B se2. Ssd: Crucial mx100 512gb.