HELP!!!! windows 8 black screen on boot

i had a working installation of windows 8 64bit for months on my rig:

p8z77-i deluxe 

8gb crucial ballistix elite 1866mhz ram

xfx 6870

h100i

wd 1tb blue and random 500gb drive 

ocz 550w psu

suddenly whenever i booted the windows logo would show with circle animation followed by a black screen which just stayed forever, with no cursor or anything, had to hard reset pc. did this every time. if i reset the pc a number of times eventually automatic repair starts, however this always failed. i tried a different graphics card (an old 9500gt) and it did the same thing. the pc doesnt do this if i remove the graphics card and use intel integrated graphics, and it doesnt do it if i boot into safe mode. thinking it was a driver issue or something i did a clean install of windows 8 and it did exactly the same thing even with all latest drivers. i also installed windows 7 on my other drive and everything works absolutely fine. im thinking it must be a problem with windows 8 and my motherboard or something 

any help would be amazing thanks

Have you installed any drivers when you reinstalled Windows 8?

there is only one pcie slot, its an itx motherboard, and yes ive tried installing the drivers whilst in safe mode on new install

Something similar happened to me, also on windows 8. The problem was that I had a vga connected to the igp and a dvi connected to the graphics card, using the same monitor. when I disconnected the vga from behind the motherboard, it showed the desktop.  If your doing this to, it could be the problem.

no unfortunately i only have one dvi connected to gpu, also tried its hdmi connection 

no unfortunately i only have one dvi connected to gpu, also tried its hdmi connection 

So only 1 connection to the monitor?

I have ran into this problem a few times as well when my computer goes to sleep or hibernates but i don't know if that is related to me messing up windows 8 with amd's driver uninstall utility that made it so i could no longer change my advanced power options or my time on my computer <_<

So only 1 connection to the monitor?

yeah