Windows 8.1 serial

omricn
Go to solution Solved by insayan,

Thanks for the info buddy, but isn't my key a windows 8.1 key now? I believe what you have done is enter the key you received when you bought the win8 upgrade offer, which is indeed a windows 8 key, but the key I have now is a windows 8.1 key..

Can you please enter your key in the key verifier website? http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx, and tell me what version of windows it shows? if it shows 'windows 8' then you have a windows 8 key. when I enter my key it says 'windows 8.1".

It says "Win 8 RTM Professional Retail"

Hi guys,

I have a conundrum for you..

Say I have a brand new laptop that came with an activated windows 8.1 OEM. 

Say I found a way to get the serial key (it didn't come with any document\sticker which provides the serial number).

Say I wrote down the serial - reminding you the serial says "windows 8.1 pro 64bit (the '.1' being the important part).

Say I formatted the HDD and installed win7 ent and sent it away.

Say I am now in the future, 6 months from now. I bought a new pc for myself. I want to install windows 8.1. I download it, install it and enter the serial key I got from the above.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I download windows 8 or windows 8.1 for the serial above?

2. Will the activation work (reminding you the serial key is OEM)

3. Does formatting the original HDD with the 8.1 installation "release" the serial to be used on another computer?

Some info:

The above is not by any stretch illegal, the laptops that came with win 8.1 were bought as is by the company I work at as the main IT technician, and the licence would have just been wasted if I hadn't taken it.

Also - this was done, of course, with the knowledge and permission of my supervisors.

Also important to mention - the reason I'm having this debate is that I purchased windows 8 upgrade offer about 2 years ago for 15$, basically as soon as it was available. since then I upgraded to 8.1, also - I've lost the email with the serial key provided to me when I purchased win 8. (Really.. I deleted all of the emails that were under the 'promotions' tab in my Gmail account..) and to be honest I don't know if that serial I got from Microsoft when I purchased win8 would have worked on another PC for a couple of reasons, first - in the invoice Microsoft sent me after purchasing win8 it says the OS can only be installed on the PC from which I placed the order.. Second - the upgrade offer was for windows 8 and not 8.1 so if for some reason it would have worked I would need to install win8 > enter the serial > upgrade to win8.1 and eventually to win10, which I'd hate to do to my brand new SSD. Third - it's an upgrade offer, I have no CD, the serial I got was for an upgrade and not for an installation, who knows if it'll work..  

Come on experts :)

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Hi guys,

I have a conundrum for you..

Say I have a brand new laptop that came with an activated windows 8.1 OEM. 

Say I found a way to get the serial key (it didn't come with any document\sticker which provides the serial number).

Say I wrote down the serial - reminding you the serial says "windows 8.1 pro 64bit (the '.1' being the important part).

Say I formatted the HDD and installed win7 ent and sent it away.

Say I am now in the future, 6 months from now. I bought a new pc for myself. I want to install windows 8.1. I download it, install it and enter the serial key I got from the above.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I download windows 8 or windows 8.1 for the serial above?

2. Will the activation work (reminding you the serial key is OEM)

3. Does formatting the original HDD with the 8.1 installation "release" the serial to be used on another computer?

Some info:

The above is not by any stretch illegal, the laptops that came with win 8.1 were bought as is by the company I work at as the main IT technician, and the licence would have just been wasted if I hadn't taken it.

Also - this was done, of course, with the knowledge and permission of my supervisors.

Also important to mention - the reason I'm having this debate is that I purchased windows 8 upgrade offer about 2 years ago for 15$, basically as soon as it was available. since then I upgraded to 8.1, also - I've lost the email with the serial key provided to me when I purchased win 8. (Really.. I deleted all of the emails that were under the 'promotions' tab in my Gmail account..) and to be honest I don't know if that serial I got from Microsoft when I purchased win8 would have worked on another PC for a couple of reasons, first - in the invoice Microsoft sent me after purchasing win8 it says the OS can only be installed on the PC from which I placed the order.. Second - the upgrade offer was for windows 8 and not 8.1 so if for some reason it would have worked I would need to install win8 > enter the serial > upgrade to win8.1 and eventually to win10, which I'd hate to do to my brand new SSD. Third - it's an upgrade offer, I have no CD, the serial I got was for an upgrade and not for an installation, who knows if it'll work..  

Come on experts :)

My understanding is that with 8.1 OEM the key will only work with that motherboard, I could be wrong but be careful, I'm sure someone else will know more than me but that's what I've heard somewhere.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

^^

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

I guess you guys are correct.. OEM keys are useless in that scenario.. guess I'll try and find my purchased upgrade licence key by using Belarc Advisor. hope it'll get me somewhere since I'm running win 8.1 now but the original purchase was for win 8. confusing stuff..

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

OK, I have a followup question:

I have now discovered my 8.1 key using BelarcAdvisor.

I do not know if it is the same key I received when I purchased my win8 upgrade offer. never the less, when I enter my key in this key verifier website - http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx I get a "win 8.1 retail" verification which leads me to believe I have a valid 8.1 licence key.

After some research I discovered that I should be able to re-use this licence key AFTER I format\release the key on my current machine. some say I can only use this key to activate windows twice.

I need someone who went through the exact process I described and with the same variables (bought win8 upgrade offer, updated to 8.1, built a new PC, deleted the current OS and reinstalled it using his\her current win 8.1 licence key.).

•  

OK, I have a followup question:

I have now discovered my 8.1 key using BelarcAdvisor.

I do not know if it is the same key I received when I purchased my win8 upgrade offer. never the less, when I enter my key in this key verifier website - http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx I get a "win 8.1 retail" verification which leads me to believe I have a valid 8.1 licence key.

After some research I discovered that I should be able to re-use this licence key AFTER I format\release the key on my current machine. some say I can only use this key to activate windows twice.

I need someone who went through the exact process I described and with the same variables (bought win8 upgrade offer, updated to 8.1, built a new PC, deleted the current OS and reinstalled it using his\her current win 8.1 licence key.).

I have done that exact thing before and it worked just fine, you do however have to download the windows 8 ISO and then download the 8.1 update (it won't let you download the 8.1 file with a windows 8 key). http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only more information there.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I have done that exact thing before and it worked just fine, you do however have to download the windows 8 ISO and then download the 8.1 update (it won't let you download the 8.1 file with a windows 8 key). http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only more information there.

Thanks for the info buddy, but isn't my key a windows 8.1 key now? I believe what you have done is enter the key you received when you bought the win8 upgrade offer, which is indeed a windows 8 key, but the key I have now is a windows 8.1 key..

Can you please enter your key in the key verifier website? http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx, and tell me what version of windows it shows? if it shows 'windows 8' then you have a windows 8 key. when I enter my key it says 'windows 8.1".

•  

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

:) great, so this assures me that I have a windows 8.1 key since my result is "Win 8.1 pro Retail", so all I need to do is download a windows 8.1 iso from HERE and I'm set :) Thank's allot buddy!

•  

*Marked solved for now, will update when I build a new PC and attempt to install

•