Data usage for F@H

I'm considering doing some folding on my home PC. The issue I have is that where I live the only internet connection I can get is through my cell phone, which has a 20GB/Month data cap (This is the largest plan my carrier provides for mobile users). What I want to know is how much data does the folding use? (Daily or weekly or monthly I can extrapolate from there) 

tl;dr Can anyone tell me how much data usage F@H uses?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't say more then 50-100 megabytes per month if you did it like 24/7

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

First welcome to the forum. Folding is a great way to use extra computing power. According to this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/891744/data-usage-when-folding The data usage per work unit is very small. Depending on how good your computer and how hard you decide to fold will determine how many work units you do per day. From the forum thread the size seems to have an average of around 50mb to download it and 50mb to upload it. I usually do about 4 wu per day so that would be 400mb per day and over a month that would be about 12 gigabytes. So therefore it may not be a good idea for you to fold, at least not all of the time. I am sorry that you are not able to get a wired internet connection with a higher cap or no cap at all.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll try it out. Also does this require an always on connection? Could I be disconnected while folding, then connect to synchronize the WU?

I'll mostly be doing it when I'm doing low-yield tasks like browsing the net or watching a movie. 

My system is this: 

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RAM

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll try it out. Also does this require an always on connection? Could I be disconnected while folding, then connect to synchronize the WU?

I'll mostly be doing it when I'm doing low-yield tasks like browsing the net or watching a movie. 

My system is this: 

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RAM

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti

Absolutely. Once the Work Unit  is downloaded and your computer is folding you can disconnect from the internet and it will keep folding and once it is finished it will need to connect to the internet again to upload the results and download a new work unit

no that is about the amount per wu see http://www.overclock.net/t/891744/data-usage-when-folding

Well thank you. I stand corrected.

You have to remember those threads are mentioning bigadv aswell, those are absurdly big

compared to normal wu's. A couple of the people are simply speculating while a few provide

some actual information. SMP wu's are what you want to look at, because you aren't going

to get in contact with bigadv at all. Also remember that the difference between bits and bytes

(mb - mB, gb - gB) is big and indeed important when speaking about data usage.

A 9201 for example will be less than 2 MB to download and around 8 in upload. Amounts to 

around 10MB all in all. with a 970 and a 1.91 min TPF, That is 3.1833 hours to complete,

Amounts to 2.11 GB/M, now that is one specific wu and one specific gpu, assuming it runs

24/7 flawlessly, transitions perfectly and never bump into any issues whatsoever. your mileage

will vary, this isn't a very accurate estimation. A normal cpu wu is significantly smaller.

It depends on his normal data usage, but folding shouldn't make a massive impact on his 20GB 

data cap, but it will be slightly noticeable when running it 24/7.

-snip-

For me general use would use up much more data bandwidth. I'll check later with my stuff how much each WU is for me.

For me general use would use up much more data bandwidth. I'll check later with my stuff how much each WU is for me.

the data 24/7 folding would use would be the equivalent to a few hours of netflix on medium quality.

I have a 100GB data cap, i struggle with the data cap on regular usage. That regular usage not 

including a single download because i simply don't have the data to spare on anything that isn't

happening in realtime.. 

But i would definitely go out of my way to spare some data for folding, when it doesn't take all that

much and the benefit is great (personal benefit that is, because ideology wise it's pretty awesome)