PS3 IBM Cell equivelant?

Just wonderung really... as far as on paper specs it is a monster compared to desktop chips from the 05/07 era.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Just wonderung really... as far as on paper specs it is a monster compared to desktop chips from the 05/07 era.

That's hard to say, but i've heard this before: "the best answer I can give you is that the cell processor can encode video around 6x faster than a Q9650."

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

It is a beast of a CPU. Technically it had 9 cores 10 threads @ 3.2GHz. But not all of that was usable. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

It's a beast even by todays standards! I remember how amazed I was when the PS3 was released. :)

It is a beast of a CPU. Technically it had 9 cores 10 threads @ 3.2GHz. But not all of that was usable. 

It was kinda a bottleneck for the GPU, which was basically a GT7800, so the CPU was way more powerful than the GPU xD.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

It was kinda a bottleneck for the GPU, which was basically a GT7800, so the CPU was way more powerful than the GPU xD.

Actually it was an underclocked GT8800.

I think the problem with it was (and this is just an assumption) that its single-threaded performance wasn't as good as the 360. Since the 360 only has 3 cores, most games were built to use three cores. To optimize a game fully for the PS3, you really couldn't use the same engine architecture as you did for every other platform. (Again, this is completely just an assumption and I haven't done much research)

Also, the segmented RAM didn't help.

I think the problem with it was (and this is just an assumption) that its single-threaded performance wasn't as good as the 360. Since the 360 only has 3 cores, most games were built to use three cores. To optimize a game fully for the PS3, you really couldn't use the same engine architecture as you did for every other platform. (Again, this is completely just an assumption and I haven't done much research)

Also, the segmented RAM didn't help.

The cores on the PS3 and Xbox 360 were similar, which was not the point of the Cell CPU.

Sony had designed it so that it was different from the Xbox and Devs would have to just make their game for PS3. (Basically locking devs out of making a game for both platforms)

But because of corporate espionage, microsoft got the cell design from Toshiba and IBM, and made their CPU the same. Basically making the point of the PS3s Cell processor useless.

But when all the cores were used the PS3 was a much better system. Those 3 cores die when playing quad split-screen Black Ops II.