So im a complete noob at programing? Where can i learn everything?

So im a complete noob at programming and i would like to know where i can learn basically everything. I am very familiar with computer parts and had to start somewhere but i would also like to know how/what programming is and what its used for? Can anyone help me out?

CPUi7 4790k (4.0 Ghz)| MotherboardMSI Z97 Gaming-5 ATX LGA1150| RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro(DDR3-1600, Red 4x4Gb)GPUEVGA GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0| CaseFractal Design Define R5 (Black with Window)| StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB and Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD| PSUCorsair HX750i 80+ Platinum| Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" CoolingCorsair H100i GTX| Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB| MouseRazer Deathadder Chroma|

First you need to ask yourself what exactly it is you want to program. Is it games, websites, desktop applications or whatever. Then you need to find out what language you need to learn. I suggest starting with html, css and javascript for websites. java and c# for simple desktop applications and games.

EDIT

w3schools is a good source for everything web related http://www.w3schools.com/html/

you can take a simple tutorial course here http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web

c# will be a bit more boring, you can find out more here http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx

java is a bit easier in my opinion than c#, a good place to start would be here http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/

keep in mind that there are tons of more places where you will need to go if you want to actually get any good. And there's no way you will be able to learn all of it. Become good at breaking down problems into smaller pieces and solving them individually is a great way to go about things.

EDIT2:

Definetly don't give up if you don't exceed at the beginning. The learning curve is steep but very rewarding. Code the things you want to code and good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

I suggest taking on C++, you can make anything with that. As for where you can learn it, just google it, and you'll find a number of sites devoted to teaching C++ to the masses.

First you need to ask yourself what exactly it is you want to program. Is it games, websites, desktop applications or whatever. Then you need to find out what language you need to learn. I suggest starting with html, css and javascript for websites. java and c# for simple desktop applications and games.

EDIT

w3schools is a good source for everything web related http://www.w3schools.com/html/

you can take a simple tutorial course here http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web

c# will be a bit more boring, you can find out more here http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx

java is a bit easier in my opinion than c#, a good place to start would be here http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/

keep in mind that there are tons of more places where you will need to go if you want to actually get any good. And there's no way you will be able to learn all of it. Become good at breaking down problems into smaller pieces and solving them individually is a great way to go about things.

EDIT2:

Definetly don't give up if you don't exceed at the beginning. The learning curve is steep but very rewarding. Code the things you want to code and good luck.

Well i was mainly thinking of using it to program games once i get my pc put together and get some software like Cryengine, and than i was thinking of learning how to program characters and stuff like that and possibly programs after that. Is there any place you could direct me that would teach me about game programming?

CPUi7 4790k (4.0 Ghz)| MotherboardMSI Z97 Gaming-5 ATX LGA1150| RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro(DDR3-1600, Red 4x4Gb)GPUEVGA GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0| CaseFractal Design Define R5 (Black with Window)| StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB and Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD| PSUCorsair HX750i 80+ Platinum| Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" CoolingCorsair H100i GTX| Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB| MouseRazer Deathadder Chroma|

First, you cannot ever truly learn everything. Also you have to decide what you want to make / program. I, myself, make websites and for that you need HTML, CSS, and maybe some javascript. If you want to make apps or programs, learn java. 

Some good places that are free are youtube and of course, Google. I find that Stackoverflow is a truly amazing site with almost any question, with an answer. 

A good paid service is Lynda.com

I'd just find what I wanted to make and seach on youtube to get started. And after you have started any problems you encounter, go to stackoverflow.

If you want to learn to program, the internet.

If you want to learn to write good software and get a job, try the internet, but you'll have a better chance if you go to school and get an internship.

Well i was mainly thinking of using it to program games once i get my pc put together and get some software like Cryengine, and than i was thinking of learning how to program characters and stuff like that and possibly programs after that. Is there any place you could direct me that would teach me about game programming?

Games is the last thing you learn. Learn to code normal things first. Try starting out with a calculator or something.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

codecademy.com has EXCELLENT tutorials for HTML&CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, Ruby, and Python, if you would like to give web programming a try. If you want to go more "desktop" application programming or game programming, I'd find some Java or C++/C# Tutorials on there. 

PC SETUP: | i5-4440 3.1 GHz | MSI Z97s Krait | EVGA GTX 970 | G.Skill Value 8GB | WDC Blue 500GB | NZXT S340

MOBILE SETUP: | Apple iPhone 6 | iOS 10b4 | Apple Watch Stainless Steel w/ Black Sport Band | WatchOS 3b4

Steam: chargerjake | Origin: chargerjake

Don't learn a language, learn to program. You're going about at this completely wrong, what do you want to do? Script games? Make useful tools? Do game development? What language you learn won't matter, the better you can program and make algorythms and pattern your program and structure it the more useful your program will be.

You know what, don't listen to what anyone tells you is important to learn, learn Lua, learn Python, learn VBS6 if you really want to (programmers will kill you for doing that though).

Do you play minecraft? If so learn Lua, install the mod computercraft and just interact with minecraft with Lua.

Do you play Garry's Mod? Learn GLua, make some simple scripts to calculate stuff or give you helpful things ingame.

Do you like mucking around with Linux? Make some command line tools for Linux in C++ then, no matter what people say if you want to learn you will learn, command line tools are always helpful in the future as well.

Do you like stories? Practice making an ai in a text game using whatever language you can pick out of a hat.

Don't go out learning to code in a language, go out wanting to program something.

Lastly, Google is your friend, use Google to find your answers, ask at stackoverflow, just ask in forums or just find people like me who want to help, there are heaps of them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jubjub727

If anyone ever wants help just add me on steam and just ask for help. (Make sure your profile isn't private or I will not accept you due to the bots out there currently)

This is something I posted on another thread.

Don't go out trying to program in a language, go learn to program first of all. Personally I would recommend Lua, it's very forgiving yet still rage inducing like most languages, however that's a personal preference. I would suggest that you never listen to anyone who says to learn C++ first, frankly they are an idiot when it comes to programming, also don't go learn Java because it's used with businesses, or C# because it's popular in general. Ideally something without classes helps but it doesn't matter too much, you just would need to be very dedicated. Lastly, what do you want to do with your skill? Get a job? If you wanna get a job then you need to buckle down and get on tutorials and really try hard. Maybe you want to do it as a hobby? Just learn something that is relevant to you then, it won't matter.

Some more stuff on why I personally prefer Lua as a first language:

• No classes
  • Close enough to english but still powerful
  • Tables in Lua, Lua Tables are so powerful, for this reason I find it to be the most versatile and powerful scripting language
  • Dynamic variables, this makes it a lot easier to work with
  • Large simple libraries

You can learn as many languages as you want, there's no restriction.

What do I use now?

I use many languages, I'd be listing them off however C# I prefer because it fits in with the way I do things very well

Do I recommend YOU to learn Lua?

I don't care, it's a personal preference, I have no idea what you are like, learn whatever you want

Languages you shouldn't learn first:

C++

Assembly Code

C

So im a complete noob at programming and i would like to know where i can learn basically everything. I am very familiar with computer parts and had to start somewhere but i would also like to know how/what programming is and what its used for? Can anyone help me out?

As a whole, it's a difficult question to answer. There is no one place to learn everything, and without knowing the sort of programming you want to do (scripting, GUI applications, web dev), it will be hard to find something specific to your needs. I suggest to pick up a language like Java, C# or Python, and learn not only the fundamentals of the language itself, but the fundamentals, ideas and practices of programming as a whole. Learn the principles behind Object Oriented Programming. Don't stick to just tutorials or guides, try to code something yourself, and refer to the documentation or google searches for specific things when you get stuck. When you first start, you're not just learning a language, but the way of programming. When you have a firm understanding of programming fundamentals and practices, that will be transferable to most other languages, as you will then be learning the language, and keeping your prior knowledge. Hope this helps a little

-nom-

I definitely agree with Lua. I forgot about it in my answer (also sorry for no multi-quote, haven't worked out how to do it in the new mobile version of the site). Lua was the first language I learned, funny enough, through a mod for Minecraft. That gave me a good foundation, and I then moved to other languages. I love the tables in Lua, and it saddens me that they aren't as powerful in other languages

I definitely agree with Lua. I forgot about it in my answer (also sorry for no multi-quote, haven't worked out how to do it in the new mobile version of the site). Lua was the first language I learned, funny enough, through a mod for Minecraft. That gave me a good foundation, and I then moved to other languages. I love the tables in Lua, and it saddens me that they aren't as powerful in other languages

Same, I learnt Lua at the age of 10 through computercraft without even knowing what Lua was and ended up in programming.

"Best way to get better at coding is to keep practising, make websites, small games etc and eventually you will become an expert." -Luke 2014

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

First I must warn you, so you would'nt flatter yourself when starting out. Programming game engines (not even talking about modern ones) ain't easy, your skill not only have to be of programming, but of mathematics (mostly linear algebra), physics, algorythm science and many more. You will discover a sense of scale for projects like this when learning, this is no one man's job. I tried making an engine in my mid-teens, ofcourse I failed to do anything nice, got stuck at loading and drawing complex models, with no physics and such. The sciences involved are university level and beyond and I had to study that stuff on my own and try to figure out. Designing an engine is already hard enough (you should get into software design when you learn a language or two, it you want to tie your future with programming it is an important thing). But it was an awesome learning experience, and when learning programing, you wil have to get used to the fact that you have to learn everything yourself (if you don't have a mentor), but for one thing I'm certain - when you figure that figure that stuff out and develop the specific thought process and gain a little experience, it all pays off. The thinking you aquire can help in studies a great deal (to an extent though), it pushed me from a total math and physics noob to a being able to score good grades easily (I still don't enjoy maths to this day though, lmao). Anyway, everyone has told enough about what and where to learn. My message is more like "Learn programming! It's hard but it's worth it!". Good luck!

But programming involves a lot of other stuff. Systems programming, application programming, game programming? I mean, you probably will never have the ability to do all of them 100%; it's simply so much information and will take years. 

You need to learn programming fundamentals. You can't just jump into it. Gotta learn simple if, for, while, loops. Along with how they work.

There is so much. So don't expect yourself to become a good programmer overnight, or even in a year. You need to constantly work at it, think about the programs at hand and what you want them to do vs what is actually happening, and go from there.

First, you cannot ever truly learn everything. Also you have to decide what you want to make / program. I, myself, make websites and for that you need HTML, CSS, and maybe some javascript. If you want to make apps or programs, learn java. 

You can make apps in just HTML 5 and JS but you don't get the performance, you can also xamarin to code iOS and android apps from c#.

I would suggest c# the as the IDE is much nicer than eclipse, they are actually pretty close in terms of how it is written

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´