Sons friend

Griffscavern

My sons friend asked for my help with his build. He's 13. I am not familiar with AMD so I need some help. He has a $500 budget. He plans on using steamos for his system. I need to know if these 2 setups will work

Of the 2 which would be best? Will there be any bottlenecks from the processor and the GPU?

Here they are:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheGreatDudeofDudia/saved/pqfRsY

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheGreatDudeofDudia/saved/hRtH99

Please help me help him. There really not much difference between the 2 except for ram and HDD.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

apu is bad choice considering other parts m8

ur welcome m8

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

My sons friend asked for my help with his build. He's 13. I am not familiar with AMD so I need some help. He has a $500 budget. He plans on using steamos for his system. I need to know if these 2 setups will work

Of the 2 which would be best? Will there be any bottlenecks from the processor and the GPU?

Here they are:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheGreatDudeofDudia/saved/pqfRsY

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheGreatDudeofDudia/saved/hRtH99

Please help me help him. There really not much difference between the 2 except for ram and HDD.

this is what I would go with...if you remove the OS it fits the budget. This is a much more powerful build compared to the ones up there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($104.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 350 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $521.78

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 01:03 EST-0500

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Get this instead, more power, same price. And yes, it will run SteamOS. R9 270 can easily be overclocked to the performance of an R9 270X, which is a solid 1080p card.

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $432.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 01:05 EST-0500

Thanks folks. Can the integrated graphics be disabled? Or would it be best to just get the apu without the graphics card? Can he play games at good fps withe apu? If we got one without the integrated graphics, what would you suggest?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Will look into all the suggestions right now.

Thank you all very much.

Thanks folks. Can the integrated graphics be disabled? Or would it be best to just get the apu without the graphics card? Can he play games at good fps withe apu? If we got one without the integrated graphics, what would you suggest?

it can i was surprised with what it could run, i had a old A-8 4 core. the 270, 750/ ti, 260  are much better and they will get a longer life span out of the system. please don't get the apu of you get a gpu.

You'll want an i3/i5 and better graphics solution for playing games.

Ramamataz's suggested build is a good improvement.

you can easily game on a pentium/athlon, i3 or i5 is more for mid-range to high-end builds. If we're talking 750ti/270/260X territory, there's no need for an i3 and most certainly not for an i5.

you can easily game on a pentium/athlon, i3 or i5 is more for mid-range to high-end builds. If we're talking 750ti/270/260X territory, there's no need for an i3 and most certainly not for an i5.

what about games that require four cores or more ? Well then the kid is screwed....Also the kid isn't going to be overclocking either...so its better to go with an i3. As the G3258 is pretty bad by itself when its not overclocked.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

A much better Steam box:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($60.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($18.19 @ OutletPC)
Total: $474.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 01:24 EST-0500

what about games that require four cores or more ? Well then the kid is screwed....Also the kid isn't going to be overclocking either...so its better to go with an i3. As the G3258 is pretty bad by itself when its not overclocked.

while not that many games won't run on 2 cores, that it true. Which still leaves the Athlon.

while not that many games won't run on 2 cores, that it true. Which still leaves the Athlon.

I rather have the kid play with intel seeing that it will last him a pretty long time. It fits the budget so go with intel. Compared to AMD which is good somewhat...but seeing that most gaming benchmarks show how an i3 can nearly smash every FX chip. The kid should go with intel

The i3 is a better solution, over the Pentium... and well...let's not talk about the Athlon.  We will have to start grabbing benches.  Athlon is not a good option in the current market.

Sorry, I meant A6, not Athlon:

http://benchmarks-tests.com/reviews/processors/intel_core_i3-4130/hitman_absolution.php

They have different games on that bench list too.

You will find the same results just about anywhere else as well...

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/2/

I rather have the kid play with intel seeing that it will last him a pretty long time. It fits the budget so go with intel. Compared to AMD which is good somewhat...but seeing that most gaming benchmarks show how an i3 can nearly smash every FX chip. The kid should go with intel

Every FX chip? No.

Anyways, I prefer Intel as well, but I won't recommend getting an unbalanced system just for the sake of the CPU potentially allowing for future upgrades. The way I understand this, it needs to be sub-$500 and be ITX. Its hard to fit an i3 in there without cutting too much on the GPU. An 860K with an R9 270 will heavily outperform an i3 with an R7 260X in gaming, and as a steambox, that's what this rig is for. This or the pentium (although you're right about the dual core-problem) is what I would go with:

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $451.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 01:30 EST-0500

Every FX chip? No.

Anyways, I prefer Intel as well, but I won't recommend getting an unbalanced system just for the sake of the CPU potentially allowing for future upgrades. The way I understand this, it needs to be sub-$500 and be ITX. Its hard to fit an i3 in there without cutting too much on the GPU. An 860K with an R9 270 will heavily outperform an i3 with an R7 260X in gaming, and as a steambox, that's what this rig is for. This or the pentium (although you're right about the dual core-problem) is what I would go with:

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $451.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-16 01:30 EST-0500

There a simple edit taking your case and PSU and the GPU my build is cheaper and balanced

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($133.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $442.77

There a simple edit taking your case and PSU and the GPU my build is cheaper and balanced

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $442.77

That's a microATX board in an ITX case. The listed total also includes rebates and since you didn't post it in BBcode I can't see how high the price is excluding rebates.

That's a microATX board in an ITX case. The listed total also includes rebates and since you didn't post it in BBcode I can't see how high the price is excluding rebates.

Oops am a dummy......I can't post from PCPartPicker servers are down T~T

Oops am a dummy......I can't post from PCPartPicker servers are down T~T didn't know he wanted a ITX board....didn't seem like he would need one

Its a steambox, so I assume its probably going to sit next to the TV and needs to be ITX. And yeah, pcpartpicker is down... great timing :D

I am trying to find direct comparisons between the i3 4130 and the 860K... wtf... it is harder than it sounds...

No cherry picking, straight numbers.

I am trying to find direct comparisons between the i3 4130 and the 860K... wtf... it is harder than it sounds...

No cherry picking, straight numbers.

The 860k didn't get much fuss when it launched but you have remember while there is no need for an apu when you're getting a separate gpu. The APU and Athlon are the same on the cpu side. There is a wealth of benchmarks out there on the A10 7850k for comparisons.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-7850K+APU&id=2133A10

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+860K+Quad+Core&id=2362860k

Within the margin of error of each other. 

Still not the best benchmarks as it is against one of the more expensive I3s. Can probably leverage an idea out of it though. And I'm also skeptical with a title like the article's.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/177677-dual-graphics-dud-intel-clobbers-amds-apus-in-budget-gaming/2 odd... The link is broken yet it isn't on my end. Try directly pasting it into your browser. 

The 860k didn't get much fuss when it launched but you have remember while there is no need for an apu when you're getting a separate gpu. The APU and Athlon are the same on the cpu side. There is a wealth of benchmarks out there on the A10 7850k for comparisons.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-7850K+APU&id=2133A10

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+860K+Quad+Core&id=2362860k

Within the margin of error of each other. 

Still not the best benchmarks as it is against one of the more expensive I3s. Can probably leverage an idea out of it though. And I'm also skeptical with a title like the article's.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/177677-dual-graphics-dud-intel-clobbers-amds-apus-in-budget-gaming/2 odd... The link is broken yet it isn't on my end.

Thanks, but got anything strictly gaming?  The i3 is a little devil at $100.  Some great gaming benchmarks.