R9 280 or GTX 960

Tetters
Go to solution Solved by TechnoNerd,

I just got a Sapphire R9 280x TOXIC and it is the best GPU Ive ever had. My last GPU was a Gigabyte GTX960 G1 gaming, but it developed coil whine. The 280x is more powerful too.

Folks

I was saving some cash towards to a 970, but with prices going through the roof here in Canada and the reality I probably wont need a highend card I am weighing up the R9 280 and the GTX 960. The only games I play are EVE and World of Tanks, with a little BF4 and Tomb Raider to change things up once in a while.

I would really value some thoughts from you guys, both cards are fine for what they do, but I am torn between them. If I manage to add another $150 to the war fund I would most likely go for the 970 but I just dont think its worth it for me anymore

Cheers

T

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

r9 280 defenitely

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

The GTX960 and R9 280 don´t give and take much from each other... I´d try to save some dollars more towards the R9 280X. But if you choose between the R9 280X and the GTX960 for the games you play I´d go for the R9 280 because of the 3GB VRAM.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The GTX960 and R9 280 don´t give and take much from each other... I´d try to save some dollars more towards the R9 280X. But if you choose between the R9 280X and the GTX960 for the games you play I´d go for the R9 280 because of the 3GB VRAM.

Just looking at a 280x right now! Thanks for the advice, I might well go for this card if I can find one locally

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Just looking at a 280x right now! Thanks for the advice, I might well go for this card if I can find one locally

You are welcome :). The R9 280X would be the best choice without any doubt.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

960 beats 280, but then again 285 slaps 960 and cost the same mostly.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it

280x. Much more heat but a little more power. I love both AMD and Nvidia but AMD is a clear winner here. If you say *hurr not an option durr* Then fine. 280. Thats cool tooo.

-Specs on my profile-

I just got a Sapphire R9 280x TOXIC and it is the best GPU Ive ever had. My last GPU was a Gigabyte GTX960 G1 gaming, but it developed coil whine. The 280x is more powerful too.

-Specs on my profile-

The very card I am looking at on Amazon .... thanks for the update, this is the card I am going to get

The very card I am looking at on Amazon .... thanks for the update, this is the card I am going to get

aW glad to help :D

Remember, 2 8Pin power connecters, very VERY long card, 650+ Watt PSU, anddd thats about it. Its a very hot card, so if you get a bad one, either RMA or replace thermal paste. My card is just fine though.

-Specs on my profile-

aW glad to help :D

Remember, 2 8Pin power connecters, very VERY long card, 650+ Watt PSU, anddd thats about it. Its a very hot card, so if you get a bad one, either RMA or replace thermal paste. My card is just fine though.

I have a Corsair 750d so there will be plenty of room, and lots of airflow so that should help with the temps .... thanks for the heads up though!

Get the 280 only if you're willing to overclock to get the most out of it. Then it's a beast.

Otherwise get the R9 285 or the Geforce 960.