CPU Z wrong

Krash

So I just built a new H2O rig and did a small over clock. Initially CPU Z, EVGA's E LEET and AIDA's monitoring/ reporting showed the correct o-clock values, 4.0 Ghz on the CPU and all but very soon, like less than 30 sec they all changed to something like 1263 Mhz. So, you know I go back into the bios and everything looks good, 4.0 Ghz just like it should. Come back out, check CPU Z again and sure enough it switches in almost no time. Very weird. Just wondering if this is normal?

I got the 5960X up to almost 4.9 Ghz but with a voltage at 1.39 - 41 I just knew it would burn, even with water, so I backed it down.

EVGA X99 Classified (latest bios flashed to 1.14 so it's brand new)

Intel 5960X

GSkill 16MB DDR4

2 X MSI 970 Gaming in SLI

EVGA 1000 watt

"I'd rather have a mind open to wonder than one closed by beliefs." (Sartre)

When you dont use it it drops to save energy and stay cool

Yes. That's normal. If you don't want the clock to reduce, set Windows to High Performance mode.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Its called EIST or Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology. It basically auto downclocks your multiplier to 8x when your system is idle to keep temps down and save power.

You can disable it in UEFI if you wish.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Very good, thanks guys.

"I'd rather have a mind open to wonder than one closed by beliefs." (Sartre)

Yes. That's normal. If you don't want the clock to reduce, set Windows to High Performance mode.

I always wondered why my clock speed was at a constant 4.4 in CPU-Z. Didn't realize performance mode did that.