Unexpected performence drop ....! i7 4790K

Go to solution Solved by Priller,

i can totally understand what you are saying and its logical . if its stable on the voltage for 3+ hours on a stress test even then giving more voltage is an option ?

Just increase the voltage slightly and see if your render times drop. If they do then you have the answer. It may stress the CPU differently then the stress testing you have done.

Hi mates

i'm having some unexpected performance drop

so it starts like this i have always do 3 way OC test . after OCing i do a 30 mints stress test on Aida64 or XTU.

Then 2 hours of gaming

Then render a 7 hours 1080p project

if both passed then i put system on 12 hours stress test on Aida 64 or XTU

Problem: On 4.5ghz (1.1270v) the same project is giving me render time 1 hours and 30 mints

On 4.7ghz (1.2100v) the same project is giving me render time 2 hours and 15 mints

My Rig: Ram OC 2133(1.60v) timings (10-11-10-30/RC2) Corsair

Cooling :H100i stock fans

Plz advice

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Did you monitor the temps during the rendering? looks like throttling to me

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Did you monitor the temps during the rendering? looks like throttling to me

yeah when its was on 4.5ghz temps were 59C tops on 4.7ghz 65C tops .no change in fan speed or temp. ambient time 11C.

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

yeah when its was on 4.5ghz temps were 59C tops on 4.7ghz 65C tops .no change in fan speed or temp. ambient time 11C.

Strange.

i_build_nanosuits maybe you could shed some light on this?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

sounds like your 4.7 is on one/two core, not all four cores.

its on sync all core and  CPUz is showing 4698ghz . while rendering . Cpu meter is showing all core and HT on full load .

Sometimes more GHz does not mean more power. Perhaps just your processor doesn't benefit from a higher frequency and actually makes it worse. It could be also that the voltage is not enough to provide stable power for the processor to run properly. I have seen results in Cinebench rise by quite a bit just from an additional bump of the voltages so give that a try as well. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Sometimes more GHz does not mean more power. Perhaps just your processor doesn't benefit from a higher frequency and actually makes it worse. It could be also that the voltage is not enough to provide stable power for the processor to run properly. I have seen results in Cinebench rise by quite a bit just from an additional bump of the voltages so give that a try as well. 

i can totally understand what you are saying and its logical . if its stable on the voltage for 3+ hours on a stress test even then giving more voltage is an option ?

Just increase the voltage slightly and see if your render times drop. If they do then you have the answer. It may stress the CPU differently then the stress testing you have done.