Linksys WRT1900AC

ddeuel
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Netgear nighthawk (or whatever their ac3200 version is) is excellent.

Asus has some impressive new stuff coming too

So I recently upgraded to gigabit internet, and I now need a router than can handle this speed. My current router is a shit apple extreme, and the primary clients would be my iPhone 6 and 2014 mbp which both support 802.11 ac. I was just watching the garage sale after the WAN show and Linus put this router up for offer but as I was doing research on it, someone else bought it :( so is this still my best bet and I should just suck it up and pay the $212 off amazon or should I buy is there a better option. I watched Linus' review and read this PCWorld article on the subject and this seems to be the fastest available at the moment.

tl;dr tell me what to buy because I don't want to waste my money

Either get the Linksys WRT1900AC or Asus 68U (AC1900). 

There is also Asus AC87U (AC2400) , which is the newer one. 

Or even the Newgear Nighthawk 6 (AC3200) - Which can do 1.3 Gbps on 5Ghz network. (Total of 3.2Gbps)

Remember, you will need need a dongle/ Wireless NIC to support these speeds. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Netgear nighthawk (or whatever their ac3200 version is) is excellent.

Asus has some impressive new stuff coming too

HE SPOKE

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

The firmware is pretty awful and the only thing it's faster in compared to other routers in is if your plugging a external HDD into it. Get a R7000/R7500, the Asus routers are good but lack in routing performance compared to the Nighthawks or if your comfortable with configuring everything through CLI a ERLite-3 will destroy every thing on the consumer market.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!