Hey, i did not so long ago a thread about my planning build but i was misunderstood, so i'm here to be clearer

I want to build my own pc (for the first time) so i choose some pieces based on what i will need and what I visualy liked (f.e the case) :

CPU: INTEL Quad Core i7-4790K

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI PLUS

RAM: KINGSTON HyperX Fury blue [2x8GB]

GPU: MSI GTX980 GAMING 4G PCIe

WiFi: ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless-N300 PCI Express

SSD: 120 GB 2.5" SATA SAMSUNG 840 Evo Series

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 2 To

DVD ± RW :ASUS DRW-24F1ST / BLK / G / AS Black

PSU: 550W CORSAIR RM550 80 PLUS Gold

Case: CORSAIR Graphite 230T Battleship Grey

What I want to know is : Is it all compatible ? I checked most of the stuff, like cpu socket, pcie lanes etc.. but i wanted to have an experimented though to be sure.

Thanks

i have the same cpu cooler, it is actually not that quiet even on ulna, it is not dead silent like my be quiet fans. (if your case is under desk or >3feet/90cm away then it dont matter)

other than that seems good

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Yes. It'll all work together

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1) you need a better psu like a G2

2) why not daul 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

amd sucks.

no it doesnt. I have a 290x and I love it. also it is equal or more powerful than a 970

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

amd sucks.

No it doesn't

Running a 8350 and dual 7770s

I get quite nice performance

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Should work together fine.

no it doesnt. I have a 290x and I love it. also it is equal or more powerful than a 970

You might like amd but i have only had problems with them.

amd sucks

Really? Since when is getting two 290x's for the price of a 980 and absolutely destroying it in performance sucking? 

Drivers? Fixed

Heat? Not a big deal, put a fan in your case.

Power? A couple cents/dollars a month, you just spent possibly a couple grand on your computer, it doesn't really matter for most people.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Wat about Noctuas new cpu cooler nh-d15 instead of the one you choosed?

Why not, I'll check it

My only recommendation is you might think about a bigger PSU if plan to do SLI in the future....650-700 watts.

Really? Since when is getting two 290x's for the price of a 980 and absolutely destroying it in performance sucking? 

Drivers? Fixed

Heat? Not a big deal, put a fan in your case.

Power? A couple cents/dollars a month, you just spent possibly a couple grand on your computer, it doesn't really matter for most people.

Since the day it takes two to beat one. Since the day it took AMD a whole year to fix one of the problems you mentioned(drivers), but not the other two. Since the day 275w(amd) can't compete with 165w(nvidia). Since the day it would require a larger PSU, much larger considering your argument is for two(275 * 2 = 550w tdp vs 165w tdp). And since the day budgets mattered(aka: the dawn of currency), and since the day you failed at math and research(current lowest price for r9 290x = 299, current lowest price for GTX980 = 549) with one GTX 980 being $50 US less than two r9 290Xs. Pricing courtesy of Newegg.

And especially since the day the OP has obviously made up his mind. I fully support the OP's position on the issue at hand. AMD sucks.

Since the day it takes two to beat one. Since the day it took AMD a whole year to fix one of the problems you mentioned(drivers), but not the other two. Since the day 275w(amd) can't compete with 165w(nvidia). Since the day it would require a larger PSU, much larger considering your argument is for two(275 * 2 = 550w tdp vs 165w tdp). And since the day budgets mattered(aka: the dawn of currency), and since the day you failed at math and research(current lowest price for r9 290x = 299, current lowest price for GTX980 = 549) with one GTX 980 being $50 US less than two r9 290Xs. Pricing courtesy of Newegg.

And especially since the day the OP has obviously made up his mind. I fully support the OP's position on the issue at hand. AMD sucks.

AMD does NOT suck. While I almost always recommend 970s in my builds, I have to admit that AMD has a lot of perks going for it, in regards to raw price / performance ratio. Currently, a 290x offers just as much, if not more, than a 970, for a lower price. And just a bit under 980 performance, for almos half the price.

If you add a second 290x, ofc it will be more expensive than if you compare to single 970/80. But the performance level is just soooo different, that you have to factor in a second 970 or 980 to make it a fair comparison. Yes, you will need a better PSU; but for nvidia, you'll need to pay extra on the mobo for the SLI certification, a thing that won't bother you when going crossfire. So in a sense, those 2 average each other out.

There's also the fact that those GPUs are very old, and that a completely new lineup is just around the corner. If we were talking about AMD cpus, yeah, they totally suck. But as far as GPUs go, they are very fine products.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

AMD does NOT suck. While I almost always recommend 970s in my builds, I have to admit that AMD has a lot of perks going for it, in regards to raw price / performance ratio. Currently, a 290x offers just as much, if not more, than a 970, for a lower price. And just a bit under 980 performance, for almos half the price.

If you add a second 290x, ofc it will be more expensive than if you compare to single 970/80. But the performance level is just soooo different, that you have to factor in a second 970 or 980 to make it a fair comparison. Yes, you will need a better PSU; but for nvidia, you'll need to pay extra on the mobo for the SLI certification, a thing that won't bother you when going crossfire. So in a sense, those 2 average each other out.

There's also the fact that those GPUs are very old, and that a completely new lineup is just around the corner. If we were talking about AMD cpus, yeah, they totally suck. But as far as GPUs go, they are very fine products.

So funny...you had to bring in the lower gtx970's to compare....when nobody was even talking about them. Where are you guys checking pricing at? SLI certified boards are not expensive. Mine was $129(I bought it last week). And nobody's talking about AMD's new lineup either. The context was 1xGTX980 vs 2xR9 290X. No talk about GTX970, no talk about R9 3XX. No talk about SLI. If you're going to go that far off point, don't bother to quote(it just shows that you weren't paying attention to the post you were replying to in the first place,) Even so, your argument supports my point - so thanks.

So funny...you had to bring in the lower gtx970's to compare....when nobody was even talking about them. Where are you guys checking pricing at? SLI certified boards are not expensive. Mine was $129(I bought it last week). And nobody's talking about AMD's new lineup either. The context was 1xGTX980 vs 2xR9 290X. No talk about GTX970, no talk about R9 3XX. No talk about SLI. If you're going to go that far off point, don't bother to quote(it just shows that you weren't paying attention to the post you were replying to in the first place,) Even so, your argument supports my point - so thanks.

V

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Hey, i did not so long ago a thread about my planning build but i was misunderstood, so i'm here to be clearer

I want to build my own pc (for the first time) so i choose some pieces based on what i will need and what I visualy liked (f.e the case) :

CPU: INTEL Quad Core i7-4790K

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI PLUS

RAM: KINGSTON HyperX Fury blue [2x8GB]

GPU: MSI GTX980 GAMING 4G PCIe

WiFi: ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless-N300 PCI Express

SSD: 120 GB 2.5" SATA SAMSUNG 840 Evo Series

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 2 To

DVD ± RW :ASUS DRW-24F1ST / BLK / G / AS Black

PSU: 550W CORSAIR RM550 80 PLUS Gold

Case: CORSAIR Graphite 230T Battleship Grey

What I want to know is : Is it all compatible ? I checked most of the stuff, like cpu socket, pcie lanes etc.. but i wanted to have an experimented though to be sure.

Thanks

It would have been useful if the list was in pcpartpicker, even if the prices had to be ignored.

The NH-U12P SE2 has been discontinued. The NH-U12S is its replacement. Both are compatible with the motherboard. Have no issues with memory. And, will fit in the case.

The memory should be fine. But without knowing the speed and timings of the kit it is not possible to comment in its suitability.

In most markets there are much better quality 550W psu available at prices competitive with the RM-550. The RM series is at best "average".

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.