Need a Zune (Subscription-Based Music) Alternative

Looking around for my dad, not for me. 

Since Zune discontinued their service, my dad, who's been using their Subscription service for years, is now up the creek without a paddle, unless there's an alternative out there that I'm missing. Thousands of songs he can no longer play etc etc... yadda yadda... kind of left in the dirt with the rest of the zunies, but that's not my point. 

Are there any similar subscription-based music services out there at the moment that don't require a smartphone or internet connection?

Here are some notes:

• His main use is for cycling. Cell service is shoddy, thus: no streaming, no data plans, just a regular MP3 player.
  • The service would ideally need to have good sized catalog that's still being updated.
  • My dad neither has nor wants a smartphone.
  • Would need to have it's own proprietary device, or be able to run on 1st gen iPod Touch (only other mobile device he owns)
  • He does not want to pay for a data plan, or stream music, no Spotify. 

I have a feeling he's kind of screwed tbh, technology seems to have assed him on by without, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Looking around for my dad, not for me. 

Since Zune discontinued their service, my dad, who's been using their Subscription service for years, is now up the creek without a paddle, unless there's an alternative out there that I'm missing. Thousands of songs he can no longer play etc etc... yadda yadda... kind of left in the dirt with the rest of the zunies, but that's not my point. 

Are there any similar subscription-based music services out there at the moment that don't require a smartphone or internet connection?

Here are some notes:

• His main use is for cycling. Cell service is shoddy, thus: no streaming, no data plans, just a regular MP3 player.
  • The service would ideally need to have good sized catalog that's still being updated.
  • My dad neither has nor wants a smartphone.
  • Would need to have it's own proprietary device, or be able to run on 1st gen iPod Touch (only other mobile device he owns)
  • He does not want to pay for a data plan, or stream music, no Spotify. 

I have a feeling he's kind of screwed tbh, technology seems to have assed him on by without, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Google play music. You can download it to the device or stream (android). I have used it for a long while and it's pretty great for $10/mo

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Google play music. You can download it to the device or stream (android). I have used it for a long while and it's pretty great for $10/mo

Don't forget that comes with youtube offline listening, listening in the background too. Personally I think it's super good value for what it is. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Don't forget that comes with youtube offline listening, listening in the background too. Personally I think it's super good value for what it is. 

Yep. Plus it unlocks ad-free music on youtube.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Spotify. (yes I know you said "No Spotify", but let me explain).

If you are a student (collegiate) you can get their premium for $5 a month.

It does not only stream music - you can make playlists and have them available for offline use. So for example, I make <Playlist A> with 50 songs and I press the 'Available Offline' button while I'm connected to WiFi; it will begin to download all of that music and I won't have to stream it.

You'll need to check and see if the app is compatible with the OS version, though, or see about upgrading the OS if possible.

Spotify. (yes I know you said "No Spotify", but let me explain).

If you are a student (collegiate) you can get their premium for $5 a month.

It does not only stream music - you can make playlists and have them available for offline use. So for example, I make <Playlist A> with 50 songs and I press the 'Available Offline Button' while I'm connected to WiFi; it will begin to download all of that music and I won't have to stream it.

You'll need to check and see if the app is compatible with the OS version, though, or see about upgrading the OS if possible.

He said it's for his dad.

He said it's for his dad.

I was wondering why the last point said 'He' to begin with. I need to learn2read.

I usually skip to the points, if any, because the backstories on some of these topics are almost always useless.

I was wondering why the last point said 'He' to begin with. I need to learn2read.

It's all good :) There are many worse than you, with your one minor slip

He could get a Moto E (chose the device because it costs so little, $129) and pay the $10/mo for Google Play Music All Access (I believe the Zune service was the same price?), I personally think it's absolutely fantastic. He will not be able to run it on the iPod Touch, as it requires iOS 7 and up. The others have outlined the upsides of the service, including being able to download any music you want to the device from the service.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's all good :) There are many worse than you, with your one minor slip

No slips, my dad actually a student right now haha.

Will consider both now, Google Play completely skipped my mind.

Sounds very promising. I'd even get it for myself. Always wanted a way to save long-form videos like WASD, WAN Show, Tek etc.. and listen to it on the train without having my data get sucked down the tubes.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set