Is Intel 730 Series still worthwhile?

CostcoSamples

Intel is having their big rebates on 730 series SSDs this weekend, and I'm thinking of getting the 480 GB version.  My biggest thing is stability.  This will be for my main desktop, and stability is important as I use it for work and I've had a lot of problems with my OCZ Vector.  I know there are faster drives out there, so what do you guys think?  are they still relevant in the market?  Is the price premium worth while for what you get?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Intel is having their big rebates on 730 series SSDs this weekend, and I'm thinking of getting the 480 GB version.  My biggest thing is stability.  This will be for my main desktop, and stability is important as I use it for work and I've had a lot of problems with my OCZ Vector.  I know there are faster drives out there, so what do you guys think?  are they still relevant in the market?  Is the price premium worth while for what you get?

Honestly, now that the 850 Evo is out, I would (and did) go that route.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Intel makes very reliable SSDs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Intel makes very reliable SSDs.

But still very expensive for what you get.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

From what I've read, their 730 drives are pretty much the only consumer SSDs that have power loss protection (based on a study of consumer drives that claim to have it, theirs was the only one to actually work)

I know its not a common thing, but it happened to me so now I'm paranoid about it.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Even the Samsung 850 Pro with its 10 year warranty doesn't have power loss protection.

PC Build

Desk Build

But still very expensive for what you get.

If you need that extra reliability factor, the extra cost isn't necessarily that bad.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes, I have one. I love it, it's very fast. Although I got it for $180 around black friday, don't know how much they are now.

I have 2 of them in my system in raid0. Very satisfied with the performance. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

It was never really worth it, it always carried a price premium. If it met your use case (high performance consistency and power protection) then it made sense. If you just need fast storage then a more budget-oriented drive makes more sense.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Sale is starting tomorrow? Thanks for the information. If the price is good, I'll probably get a second 480GB for my home server VMs.

Sale is starting tomorrow? Thanks for the information. If the price is good, I'll probably get a second 480GB for my home server VMs.

Yes, and some places already have the rebate starting today!

PC Build

Desk Build