21:9 vs 144Hz

MrSushi

Hello.

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsghZL

Which monitor is going to be better for me: RoG Swift or AOC U3477Pqu. I have read this article http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-monitors and i think that the AOC one looks better. But, is it true that 144Hz and 1ms response can give me any in game advantage? 

Games i would like to play on the monitor: The Crew, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, League of Legends, CS:GO, Guild Wars 2, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Shadow of Mordor, AC: Unity, COD: Advanced Warfare, Watch Dogs, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, Walking Dead (Telltale), The Witcher 3

Which monitor of those two mentioned will deliver better gaming experience? If there is anyone who has experience with both types of monitors.

PS: Will that VRAM issue with GTX970 cause some frame drops with high res like 3440x1440? Are two cards needed for 3440x1440?

Thank you very much for replying.

if you're serious about gaming, then go for the swift, it sure is nice to have g-sync

but i can't see much difference from 60hz and 144hz

if you're casual gamer, i'm sure you'll be better of with the AOC or LG 21:9 and gpu should be fine, but some games will probably struggle if max settings

personally i haven't seen any 21:9 monitor in person yet :(, but i think it would be awesome

also, consider the games hud position and if it supports that kind of resolution, i heard it's quite a hassle to get games that don't support it, to run at 3440x1440

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Hello.

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsghZL

PS: Will that VRAM issue with GTX970 cause some frame drops with high res like 3440x1440? Are two cards needed for 3440x1440?

Thank you very much for replying.

two cards are needed for 3440x1440. The 3.5gb issue wont be a problem but in a couple games that have ridiculous vram requirements anyway. I have a 21:9 monitor and I will never be going back to 16:9 if I can help it.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

two cards are needed for 3440x1440. The 3.5gb issue wont be a problem but in a couple games that have ridiculous vram requirements anyway. I have a 21:9 monitor and I will never be going back to 16:9 if I can help it.

What about Battlefield 4 and Shadow of Mordor and Witcher 3?

You will get a more consistent experience on the RoG monitor. but with that said 21:9 is really really amazing when it works. IMO if you are ok editing ini files and are Ok playing with black bars on the side when a rare game does not work @ 21:9 (mainly old games), go for the 21:9.

with all that said. if you have a working monitor and can wait a bit longer some pretty amazing monitors will be coming out this year. mainly 21:9 monitors with free sync.

When it works? I can't think of a game I have played other than mgs ground zeros that didn't support 21:9 or flawless widescreen couldn't force support with a single click. 

As for the witcher 3 I can't really say but I don't see why not, the devs for that game are pretty good at their jobs. Shadow of mordor should work fine as long as you don't use ultra textures, they call for 6gb of vram even at 1080p. And as for battlefield that works at even 4k. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

for that at 3440x1440 you'll most likely either have to turn the settings way down, or get 2nd gpu yes

my 780 runs shadow of mordor at 60-ish fps at max settings  at 1980x1080

but if no g-sync and dipping under 60, you'll see some anomalies in game :D

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

When it works? I can't think of a game I have played other than mgs ground zeros that didn't support 21:9 or flawless widescreen couldn't force support with a single click. 

As for the witcher 3 I can't really say but I don't see why not, the devs for that game are pretty good at their jobs. Shadow of mordor should work fine as long as you don't use ultra textures, they call for 6gb of vram even at 1080p. And as for battlefield that works at even 4k. 

is it posiable to disable that slow 0,5GB ?

is it posiable to disable that slow 0,5GB ?

I don't think so. But there is no reason to do that anyway. It does not actually cause stutter or terrible frame rates. The issue in shadow of mordor was he was using 3.5gb of vram when the requirement for the ultra texture pack is 6gb.

choosing is for chumps...

acer xr341ck

choosing is for chumps...

acer xr341ck

yeah but i thats soo far away and my pc would not even be able to drive it would it? 

yeah but i thats soo far away and my pc would not even be able to drive it would it? 

2x 970s... lol...  what do you consider "driving"... so that the absolute MIN FPS is 144 at that res on maxed crysis3?

i would get that monitor even if i had a 750... and i would enjoy the fuck out of source games