Mayflower Fostex T50RP V1 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs SoundMAGIC HP150 ?

Jackowol

Title says it all. Which one of them would you recommend, and why?

Also, if you know another pair of good headphones, post it!

Thanks!

I like modded Fostex the most however I'm not a fan of the Shure pads that are on the V1. The M50x is overpriced so don't get that. There are a lot of other choices as well. What kind of headphone are you looking for?

I like modded Fostex the most however I'm not a fan of the Shure pads that are on the V1. The M50x is overpriced so don't get that. There are a lot of other choices as well. What kind of headphone are you looking for?

Great quality closed headphones, that are under $215.

What nannerbeans said, or Sony MDR 1R, Sony 7506, Shure SHR440 w/840 pads, V-MODA Crossfade LP, or ATH M40x. The Beyer COP is a tiny bit over your budget but still worth consideration, same for the DT 770 Pro.

What nannerbeans said, or Sony MDR 1R, Sony 7506, Shure SHR440 w/840 pads, V-MODA Crossfade LP, or ATH M40x. The Beyer COP is a tiny bit over your budget but still worth consideration, same for the DT 770 Pro.

Which one is the best, according to you?

There is no best headphone. You could love or hate any of them, but I wouldn't recommend something that I didn't think was worth owning.

Sony MDR1R can be had for fairly cheap used so that would be a good option. That's my favorite for under $200 other than the modded Fostex which are not closed but semi open. 

You probably could find used dt770 in headfi, would recommend them along with modded fostex t50rp

I just got a pair of Beyerdynamic COPs and they sound pretty damn good. The adjustable bass ports in the back are really fun to play with. They do require a ton of burn in to really bring out the soundstage though but well worth my money imo. Really good value since you can change the soundstage from anything from flat, to "fun sounding" to bass heavy if you're a bass head using the adjustable bass ports.

I also own a pair of ATH M50s and they sound very similar to the Beyerdynamics when the bass ports are at about slightly less than half open. While the M50s do sound good, I think the Beyerdynamics win solely because of the customizability it offers.

CPU: 4670k 4.2GHz @ 1.25v | MotherBoard: Asus Z87i-Deluxe m-ITX | Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz | GPU: Sapphire HD7970 GHz Vapor-x @1190Mhz/1625Mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White) | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 240GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic 650W G Series 80+ Gold | Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23" | Heatsink: Corsair H100i with SP120 PWM Performance | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red), Corsair K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Corsair M95

And here we go.

I just got a pair of Beyerdynamic COPs and they sound pretty damn good. The adjustable bass ports in the back are really fun to play with. They do require a ton of burn in to really bring out the soundstage though but well worth my money imo. Really good value since you can change the soundstage from anything from flat, to "fun sounding" to bass heavy if you're a bass head using the adjustable bass ports.

I also own a pair of ATH M50s and they sound very similar to the Beyerdynamics when the bass ports are at about slightly less than half open. While the M50s do sound good, I think the Beyerdynamics win solely because of the customizability it offers.

1. Burn-in is dumb:

Shure Here’s something we hear pretty often – that headphones require a ‘burn in period’.  What about it?

Yuri Shulman This is more myth than fact.  Some people make the argument that the driver’s suspension could be a little unsettled when the headphones are brand new.

At Shure we don’t subscribe to that thinking – again, what could be true for some loudspeakers (where there can be a 100-hour or so burn-in period) doesn’t directly apply here.  It’s a matter of perception.  Shure headphones sound the same a year after using them as they did brand new.

http://blog.shure.com/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/

2. Frequency response != soundstage

And here we go.

1. Burn-in is dumb:

2. Frequency response != soundstage

Actually I've read before that burning in is a myth and mostly agreed but this time I decided to test it myself with these pair of cans as a lot of people are claiming this to be the case with these specific pair of headphones. I listened to a few songs with it right out of the box and set it down on the side for a day letting them just play songs and came back to them to listen to the same songs again. I did notice a big difference in not the frequency response but the general "vibe" I get from listening to my music. The sound was noticeably muddier out of the box. I don't use these are my daily drivers but everytime I come back to them I hear certain parts more clearly or a certain frequency "pops out" a little bit better and resonates a little more with my ears. I do not believe I am under the impression of a placebo effect as I used my M50s for comparison also.

tl;dr Also believed that burning in is a myth but took testing into my own hands and concluded that it does have some effect with these specific pair of headphones. 

CPU: 4670k 4.2GHz @ 1.25v | MotherBoard: Asus Z87i-Deluxe m-ITX | Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz | GPU: Sapphire HD7970 GHz Vapor-x @1190Mhz/1625Mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White) | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 240GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic 650W G Series 80+ Gold | Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23" | Heatsink: Corsair H100i with SP120 PWM Performance | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red), Corsair K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Corsair M95

Actually I've read before that burning in is a myth and mostly agreed but this time I decided to test it myself with these pair of cans as a lot of people are claiming this to be the case with these specific pair of headphones. I listened to a few songs with it right out of the box and set it down on the side for a day letting them just play songs and came back to them to listen to the same songs again. I did notice a big difference in not the frequency response but the general "vibe" I get from listening to my music. The sound was noticeably muddier out of the box. I don't use these are my daily drivers but everytime I come back to them I hear certain parts more clearly or a certain frequency "pops out" a little bit better and resonates a little more with my ears. I do not believe I am under the impression of a placebo effect as I used my M50s for comparison also.

tl;dr Also believed that burning in is a myth but took testing into my own hands and concluded that it does have some effect with these specific pair of headphones. 

Human auditory memory lasts about 0.2 seconds; there's no way for you to know that what you hear isn't confirmation bias. Also, how would it sound less muddy if the frequency response didn't change?

Human auditory memory lasts about 0.2 seconds; there's no way for you to know that what you hear isn't confirmation bias. Also, how would it sound less muddy if the frequency response didn't change?

Where is your bases for coming up 0.2 seconds? I still remember exactly how my Sennheiser CX300 v2s sounded from when I broke them over a year ago. I've listened to some of my favourite songs enough to pick it apart like meat from crab legs. My use of a the term "muddier" is just describing what the feeling of the music is producing in my head. The best way I can describe my experience is that they went from sounding very 2 dimensional to having the different frequencies sound like they are layered on top of one another. I have noticed that in a few of my songs, there is a certain bass frequency that didn't resonate with me until very recently and I don't have an explanation as to why so I'm just going to chalk it up to burning in.

Anyway I'm not going to sit here and argue about if burning in is a myth or not. Bottom line is the Beyerdynamic COPs sound great out of the box and even greater over time imho. You can choose to agree or disagree with me but take it with a grain of salt. I am simply stating my experience, not trying to convince the world that aliens exist. Sound quality is subjective.

Where is your basis for coming up 0.2 seconds?

Science. See the "What we hear" link in my sig.

Sound quality is subjective.

It isn't. Accuracy of sound reproduction can be objectively and empirically measured.

Bottom line is the Beyerdynamic COPs sound great out of the box

Then leave it at that and avoid making unfounded claims that confuse newcomers.

Thank you guys for all your replies, I think I'll finally go with the Beyer COP.

But I got one more question: do the size of drivers and resistance matters? Basically, is bigger better?

Thank you guys for all your replies, I think I'll finally go with the Beyer COP.

But I got one more question: do the size of drivers and resistance matters? Basically, is bigger better?

"That's what" - She

And no, it doesnt matter