Looking for Joysticks/hotas

drewjn

Ok, so I do sometimes enjoy sims, but my main interest in this case is more towards star citizen and maybe elite: dangerous (if they add more to it).

I do understand that the thrustmaster warthog hotas is absolutely beautiful, but I am not willing to spend 420 usd (+ 100 to 200 for pedals) on one at this moment. Before I make such an investment I would like to go with something cheaper and serviceable for a year or so. It has been years since I truly made/owned a decent gaming rig, so it is also the first time getting into a decent set of gaming peripherals, since the late 90s, early 2000's. Rather than a full fledged warthog (plus cost of pedals), which I may not use often enough to warrant it; I could get a second 970 for sli with an extra ssd, two extra 27" 1440p monitors, or even buy 20 or so games. This fact alone makes me cringe from spending that much on a control set up that I am not experienced enough in.

From what I hear, the saitech x52 pro is a good choice, at times, even with the stick being too easy to move. That can be forgivable, but I'd rather hear my options. I also don't want to go the x6_ route where the stick doesn't move at all. The x55 I've not heard a single fully positive review since there are many minor issues that make it undesirable in some way.

What I want is a decent joystick or hotas with a thrust combination with decent switches and hats. Any suggestions?

Minor edit/ps: Please no fights on mouse v joystick/hotas v gamepad schemes or preferences. I already have a decent gaming mouse and I don't plan to use a gamepad (even though I have one I already can plug in). Thread is only about finding a joystick/hotas that I can get used to and enjoy.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

i have the x65f and the only complante i have is the the stick dusent move(force sensing )

the only other ones i know of that are hotas are the warthog x55 x52 x52pro tho u mite find more useful answers on this thread

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/57614/ultimate-list-of-fan-recommended-joysticks-and-hotas/p1

also if anyone knows duse the warthog have twist rudder i havent seen anything about it 

@drewjn

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

also if anyone knows duse the warthog have twist rudder i havent seen anything about it 

@drewjn

The warthog does not have a twist to the joystick, so rudders might be needed for yaw. This allows the stick to be far more solid and more correct in regards to sim and feel. This just means that the overall cost to making it a decent peripheral is increased; however, build quality, precision and control is of the utmost with the warthog hotas. The price is truly the real detriment (and the software it originally comes with, from what I've read).

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro