Servador

Windows 7 32-Bit 

MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming

Intel i5-4690K @3.5GHz

R9 280x Graphics Card

750W Power Supply

500GB Hard Drive 

Stock BIOS

My computer will randomly switch to a display of Red and White, Blue and White, White and Brown vertical stripes. I am unable to identify what is causing the issue, and I'm unable to recreate the error. post-183156-0-64106200-1423199713_thumb.

Downclock the gpu on both core and mem (100-200 MHz) and see if the issue becomes less frequent. If it does appear less frequently contact the manufacturer for an RMA.  

• 9 months later...

I sent the Graphics card to XFX and they told me it was the BIOS in the graphics card. They updated it and sent it back and it didn't happen for a while, but it started happening again recently. One example is when I was gaming and it happened, and another is when I was copying notes onto paper from a Word doc. These 2 thing seem to be unrelated, but it still happened both times. Sometimes it happens for a quick flash, and I can see what I'm doing again. I thought maybe it was the power supply doing weird things, so I replaced it with an 850 watt and looked for changes. Nothing changed and it's still happening.

Have your tried using a different video card? Does the same thing happen? If so, try testing with a spare monitor.

Have your tried using a different video card? Does the same thing happen? If so, try testing with a spare monitor.

Well I put in another video card(a 560 ti) and the computer turned on once, promptly crashed booting into Windows, and wouldn't turn on after that. After a while I discovered that moving the ram a bit turned the computer on, but it still promptly crashed. so I removed one of the ram sticks and everything is working fine, with no issues. So I put my 280x back in and I'll have to wait and see if the issue returns...

Since you are using the Intel platform try testing with the Intel integrated graphics only. If that works fine and there are no lines then we have narrowed it down to either the video card has problems or there is a problem with the PCIe slot (could've been why the 560 ti didn't work). Next try installing the graphics card in a different PCIe slot. If the computer has no strange lines now leave the graphics card in the working PCIe slot and just don't use the non-working PCIe slot. If the computer Still doesn't work correctly (the strange lines come back) then it is definitely the graphics card and you will want to submit for an RMA.  Hope this helps. 

Well the 560 ti worked after I took out the RAM stick so I decided to put back the 280x to see if the RAM stick was causing the original issue. The problem with testing the issue is that it's completely random so there's no way of seeing if the RAM stick was actually the problem. If the original issue returns I'll begin using the integrated graphics to see if the PCIe slot or my 280x is the cause of the issue

What's the PSU model?

Well it used to be an Antex 750W but my friend gave me a Raidmax 850W 80 Plus Gold to see if that fixed the issue but it happened again shortly after...

OK this is weird, very weird. Yes just start with using the integrated graphics for now and see if that works.

Okay I'll try that

Well, this is a conundrum! try blowing some compresed air around the PCI slots. I know I used to get strange polygons appearing on my screen, or it would turn green randomly, and it just turned out to be dust in the PCI slot. This could also be the Ram's problem as well. Also, double check for poorly saudered connections on the bottom of the board and make sure the motherboard isn't bowed to the point where it's shorting agaisnt the case or may have broken internal connections.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)