Damn that dollar

Tetters

With the slide in the value of the Canadian dollar, my bargain GPU purchase has been foiled .... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Not only that, but my old stand-by (Canada Computers) is looking rather bare on the GPU shelf. Next to no R9 290s and the GTX 970s going up in price every day. I havent used mail-order before for parts, preferring to buy them physically, but now I am thinking of buying from overseas, and hoping customs dont nail me with a huge bill when it comes through.

The bad news for us Canadians is that our dollar is going to stay low for the foreseeable future, so no bargains for us for a while

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

With the slide in the value of the Canadian dollar, my bargain GPU purchase has been foiled .... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Not only that, but my old stand-by (Canada Computers) is looking rather bare on the GPU shelf. Next to no R9 290s and the GTX 970s going up in price every day. I havent used mail-order before for parts, preferring to buy them physically, but now I am thinking of buying from overseas, and hoping customs dont nail me with a huge bill when it comes through.

The bad news for us Canadians is that our dollar is going to stay low for the foreseeable future, so no bargains for us for a while

You should try eBay. All the used 290s are mega cheap. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Your dollar looks like monopoly money.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

If your in Calgary there are some greatdeals on kijiji

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

ebay is your answer. the new eBay international shipping thing means you don't pay customs or import charges on products.

its almost £100 cheaper for me to buy a gpu from America than it is to buy one in the UK.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

ebay is your answer. the new eBay international shipping thing means you don't pay customs or import charges on products.

its almost £100 cheaper for me to buy a gpu from America than it is to buy one in the UK.

Oooooh that is good to know, as soon as things get quiet at work, I will be found scanning Ebay, thanks for the heads up on the new shipping rules

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

You should try eBay. All the used 290s are mega cheap. 

I would possibly look at used, but I am very skeptical of what the card has been put through without being able to test it in person. I know there are some great used deals, but if the card has been creamed by folding then thats going to hurt

Oooooh that is good to know, as soon as things get quiet at work, I will be found scanning Ebay, thanks for the heads up on the new shipping rules

make sure the things you buy are part of the scheme!

it will clearly state under the price that you will not be charged tax or customs.

it also works both ways if you want to sell. all you do is post it to eBays po box address for your country and then they ship it themselves to the buyer.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

newegg.ca prices are pretty stable imo. 

agreed, although I suspect theirs might start to rise given that Canada Computers and Tiger Direct are both charging more

make sure the things you buy are part of the scheme!

it will clearly state under the price that you will not be charged tax or customs.

it also works both ways if you want to sell. all you do is post it to eBays po box address for your country and then they ship it themselves to the buyer.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it

I sold my R9 290 off on Kijiji Toronto couple of months ago for $250 :P

And you're right, I go to Canadacomputers all the time too, and I feel like their shelf is VERY lacking recently with zero higher end AMD cards in sight. The Increased price, the 13% HST, and even the freaking $50 recycling fee on monitors and printers... UGH

And you're right, I go to Canadacomputers all the time too, and I feel like their shelf is VERY lacking recently with zero higher end AMD cards in sight. The Increased price, the 13% HST, and even the freaking $50 recycling fee on monitors and printers... UGH

I was in their Kennedy store yesterday and I have to admit, it was looking bare across the board, not just for GPUs. That store is a pretty busy one too. I hope they are not in trouble.

I was in their Kennedy store yesterday and I have to admit, it was looking bare across the board, not just for GPUs. That store is a pretty busy one too. I hope they are not in trouble.

Not just that, Its bare in St Catharines and in North York Toronto too.

i feel like its becoming Futureshop more and more everyday. At least there is still a decent amount of computer components there, better than any NCIX here in Ontario at least :P Also, the staff actually know their stuff, which is a plus and a rare attribute in chains.

Not just that, Its bare in St Catharines and in North York Toronto too.

i feel like its becoming Futureshop more and more everyday. At least there is still a decent amount of computer components there, better than any NCIX here in Ontario at least :P Also, the staff actually know their stuff, which is a plus and a rare attribute in chains.

Haha I was thinking the same thing yesterday ... more aisles dedicated to kitchen electronics and TVs and less to pure geek stuff. The Markham Unionville store is still pretty well stocked out, or was when I was last in there. The staff at that store and Kennedy have always been awesome and really know their stuff.

the time to have jumped on a 290/x in Canada has passed I guess. NCIX canada were shelling out 290's for as low as 250 bucks just a couple weeks ago. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR