I can't start up my PC!

12345poopi
Go to solution Solved by ApolloX75,

When I plug the 8 pin whilst the 24 Pin is running

The QLED changes numbers and then dies

Sounds like a bad PSU. If you can get another to do a quick test that would be ideal.

Yesterday my mother turned off the mains on the socket. The computer was working perfectly fine before that. Now I can't start up my computer, I'm using an ROG maximus 6 hero and i used the start button on the motherboard itself, the computer did not power on. The light itself on the start button lit up. However it might still be a problem with the PSU or motherboard.

It could be anything, even the CPU might be at fault

I tried shorting the start up pins and it didn't work too

Please help! ><

PSU: 1000W CM silent pro

Motherboard: maximus 6 hero

CPU: 4770k

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: Crucial ballistix 8GB

Any other info U guys might need im happy to provide!

You're mommy killed it! WHAT A MONSTER

I wonder if its the PSU that need jump starting? IDK I doubt a sudden charge of electricity would have surged into your PSU but who knows. 

Yesterday my mother turned off the mains on the socket. The computer was working perfectly fine before that. Now I can't start up my computer, I'm using an ROG maximus 6 hero and i used the start button on the motherboard itself, the computer did not power on. The light itself on the start button lit up. However it might still be a problem with the PSU or motherboard.

It could be anything, even the CPU might be at fault

I tried shorting the start up pins and it didn't work too

Please help! ><

PSU: 1000W CM silent pro

Motherboard: maximus 6 hero

CPU: 4770k

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: Crucial ballistix 8GB

Any other info U guys might need im happy to provide!

Gonna be a strange question so don't take offense but... did you flick the PSU off then back on? Some of them have a trip mechanism as a safety.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I did switch it off and on, the PSU is delivering power as the manual start and reset button is lit up but when I press it nothing happens

But not sure what's wrong.

Can we eliminate some issues

Is there and issue with my mobo?

CPU?

It's a strange situation but I haven't managed to get my PSU fan started yet, so I suspect it's delivering power but it can't start

It's a strange situation but I haven't managed to get my PSU fan started yet, so I suspect it's delivering power but it can't start

Combing the Asus manual for anything, but isn't much there. Maybe your PSU took a hefty surge it couldn't handle, but it's a CM and it has active PFC so that seems unlikely. Try resetting the power bar? Plug it directly into the wall instead maybe?

Cooler Master manuals are even worse than Asus. You might have to contact them direct.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I trying to avoid direct contact as I live in a country without much local support (Singapore)

But can I have some assurance that the mobo and CPU is definitely not the problem or is it the problem?

Sounds like your PSU took a direct hit...better RMA if it's within warranty,out of warranty,get a new PSU,problem solve.

I trying to avoid direct contact as I live in a country without much local support (Singapore)

But can I have some assurance that the mobo and CPU is definitely not the problem or is it the problem?

With all the over current and voltage protection in that PSU I think the rest of your hardware is safe. You should see if you can borrow a PSU from a friend and test. I think JamesYang is right, you're going to have to start an RMA on that unit I think.

Oh but the puzzling thing is that the light on the start switch on the mobo is lit up? Is that a sign that the PSU is working, or is the problem definitely the PSU, old model so it's out of warranty, I can hear arking noises when I plug in the main

Oh but the puzzling thing is that the light on the start switch on the mobo is lit up? Is that a sign that the PSU is working, or is the problem definitely the PSU, old model so it's out of warranty, I can hear arking noises when I plug in the main

Yeah, I'd stop using it if I were you lest your luck run out lol. If it's pooched and some of those voltage and current protection devices are fused you could cause some damage to the rest of your hardware. If you're hearing arching and seeing sparks and/or smoke it's time to let it rest and pick up a new one.

You can false start the PSU to determine if that is the issue.

Might be a bit of an effort but...

You need to completely unplug the PSU from the PC, that is, unplug EPS, any PCIE, 24pin, everything. Then on the 24pin connector that you would normally connect to the motherboard jump the black and green wires with a safety clip, this will jumpstart the PSU if its working. I dont know if your PSU is hybrid/semi-passive or not. If it isnt the fan should start spinning if its good. If its semi passive you can put a multimeter over the ends to see if you are getting 3.3, 5 and 12v out of your cables.

Ok, will do, I'll test it out and I'll tell you guys if it works, if it doesn't work, is there any chance the mobo is spilt also, maybe the CPU? If not I'll be dealing with a dual component failure

Ok, will do, I'll test it out and I'll tell you guys if it works, if it doesn't work, is there any chance the mobo is spilt also, maybe the CPU? If not I'll be dealing with a dual component failure

Hard to say. If the PSU does turn out to be fine then the motherboard will be the next most likely culprit in line.

But my motherboard has the light lit up for the start button! Do you think that is sufficed to say that the mobo works?

If you bought the parts in a store in Singapore or any Asian countries, they may not accept RMAs because that store would not be a authorized seller. If they do accept it, at least you can speak Chinese, so they can better understand the problem.

But my motherboard has the light lit up for the start button! Do you think that is sufficed to say that the mobo works?

I wouldn't assume anything until it actually powers up. For all we know right now it could be anything from just it trying to power up (and failing) to a short in the motherboard circuitry. Just because it has power running through it doesn't mean it's going to be fine, there's a lot of very sensitive components in a motherboard.

I just hope it's not a mobo problem,right now it's tending toward a PSU prob but I won't assume

My PSU 24 pin works but once I put in the 8pin cpu it can't start again, weird....

Sounds like a bad PSU. If you can get another to do a quick test that would be ideal.

Excellent! Glad to hear the rest of your system is good to go!

Your PSU may have died, but it sure did its job well and saved the rest of your hardware.