Abandon Rig or fifth chance? Random Hard Resets.

Fullmetal1212

The motherboards BIOS defaults to ECC ram on.(for what ever REason) Could this be my issue,

FIRST: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/qsqscf
There are a few things not on there as they are not sold anymore so they are not listed.

2 Dell 2408 24"monitors

1 Samsung Syncmaster 245b

These are eyefinity'd

I bought this computer about a year ago, and have had nothing but trouble with it.

The computer Randomly hard reset under load, was rare but it happened,

It started out with a 750 watt PSU and a single 7870, then it got a gtx260 put in just as a phsyx card + 2 more display's and for $30 what can go wrong, 

other than display configs getting confused, no issues, Still random Resets.

Then i got my hands on a second 7870, (Wrong core type so i wasn't able to crossfire) this allowed me to run my 3 aux monitors without having to reconfig the displays after a fullscreen app exits.

Still random Reboots.

Ran Prime95 for a few hours, no errors, 

Then after that I Got 2 R9 280x's Production line sequential cards, these went in crossfire, and my rig IMMMEDIATELY would turn off under load. Disabled one card and then it would turn off after about 5 min, (Safety Switch most likely), 

So I replaced the PSU with a corsair 1200Watt this allowed me to "game". Untill the power cut out.

This got bad enough that the system would often do this at LEAST 2-3 times a evening. :( SO gaming has stopped on and off for the next 3 months more so desperately, often more frustrating than fun...

I figured with all the hardware on the desk I probably had extremely dirty power (6monitors,mixer,speakers,usb hub, assorted laptops, lamps, and ~1000watt computer,{my house has conduit'd industrial wiring and 30 amp breakers, <very old house}] so I moved the computer onto its own breaker.

The computer got a little more bearable, and i was able to 'play games'... When it felt like it.

Soon I learned of the R9 280x's "2nd gen" issue of being a rebrand, without the memory difference still running the new firmware, I flashed them back to their original firmware from back in the 7970 day's and the Random shut down's cut in half. 

But they crept back, and got worse and worse again, soon returning to the aggravating state.

Opening speedfan with anything using the graphics card causes the system to hang until i hard reset it. (when i say anything, i mean, Google chromes hardware acceleration will cause it to hang.) Gotta love typing a paragraph and the computer randomly decides to re-POST.

I've

Updated BIOS

Re-installed windows,

Stress tested P95,

Underclocked (Uefi Automatic) &P95

Changed Video cards,

Changed power supply's, 

Tried another computers ram, (same rig Rev 1 mobo, not 2 {It has its own Werid issues,})

Tried a THRID computers Ram, 

Reflashed Video cards to Better BIOS's

I built a portable Pc/

i7 860 @3.4Turbo'd

8gb of Ram

7870^old one.

Intel DP55SB, 

That rig has no issues running the same software's on the same display setup - 2 monitors, short. needs 2nd card.

I came accross this setting getting  the system ready for me to sell it.

I've already wiped it, so i can't test the old install out so could this have caused my issues?

Thanks for looking Guy's.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

I guess this will be a bump... Cause I don't know.

Seems like the only parts you haven't tested/replaced are the CPU and motherboard. I wonder if the mb could be at fault?

I never heard of a different core on the 7870 making them uncrossfirable, where did you learn this?

I guess this will be a bump... Cause I don't know.

Seems like the only parts you haven't tested/replaced are the CPU and motherboard. I wonder if the mb could be at fault?

I never heard of a different core on the 7870 making them uncrossfirable, where did you learn this?

My 7870 Core editon is a Tahiti GPU

my 7870 Black Edition is a Pitcarn GPU

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

Definitely a Bump...I thought it could be video card issue,but you did changed,even psu...

If I was you,I would tear apart of this pc and then sell all the parts,to build another one,'cause this one is definitely dead.

Don't waste any moment on this rig,it's not worth it.Sell it,for better PC.