Help me Choose

IP man

Hello! 

in the near future i will be buying a monitor for my PC. I want a fast and quick responsive screen, I dont care for very good colours or viewing angles.

I also want  a Gsync monitor (no freesync, i use GTX 970) so wich  of the g sync screens currently available should i buy? I was looking at the RoG swift.

And will a 970 handle 2560x1440p well?

Any thoughts? thank you.  :)

No, a single 970 will not handle a Swift well. A single 970 is a borderline 1440p 60 fps card let alone 1440p 144fps. Don't bother getting a ROG Swift unless you're going to get a second 970.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No, a single 970 will not handle a Swift well. A single 970 is a borderline 1440p 60 fps card let alone 1440p 144fps. Don't bother getting a ROG Swift unless you're going to get a second 970.

The other reason why i thought of swift was because i will be getting it at half price. but 970 wont do 60 fps? or 50?

depends on your CPU, if its high end, probably 60 ( I think, not checked benchmarks)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I have a 970 and I play BF4 at ultra with 2715x1527 using DSR and I get around 60fps

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

The other reason why i thought of swift was because i will be getting it at half price. but 970 wont do 60 fps? or 50?

At 1440p a single 970 won't even get 60 fps in some games. Although at half price -- it would be similar in price to a regular 1440p monitor....so it would be worthwhile -- kind of (imo it would still make more sense to just wait at 1080p until 4k is viable, which the R9 380/90x in XFIRE should be able to handle). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

depends on your CPU, if its high end, probably 60 ( I think, not checked benchmarks)

i5 4590

I feel that you'd probably better doing two R9 290s (Crossfire). 

At 1440p a single 970 won't even get 60 fps in some games. Although at half price -- it would be similar in price to a regular 1440p monitor....so it would be worthwhile -- kind of (imo it would still make more sense to just wait at 1080p until 4k is viable, which the R9 380/90x in XFIRE should be able to handle). 

I want Gsync...

I want Gsync...

Gsync isn't that important if you have cards that are capable of pushing appropriate frame rates for the monitor. Not to mention AMD will be launching Freesync shortly. So solid performance with freesync is still better than lesser performance and gsync. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

IT will probably make a decent job moving it. 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Gsync isn't that important if you have cards that are capable of pushing appropriate frame rates for the monitor. Not to mention AMD will be launching Freesync shortly. So solid performance with freesync is still better than lesser performance and gsync. 

Thats the reason i thought g sync would come in handy if i cant maintain a steady 60fps+. Should i go with the RoG?

Thats the reason i thought g sync would come in handy if i cant maintain a steady 60fps+. Should i go with the RoG?

As @djdwosk97 said, Freesync (which seems to be what gsync was suppose to be but not require special hardware and drive the cost up) will be coming out, that being said Freesync and Gsync only deal with refresh of the monitor not the actual performance/FPS of the GPU in driving the display and dealing with the task you throw at it. 

Gsync and Freesync allow the GPU to tell the monitor when to refresh not the monitor refreshing the screen at its set refresh rate so say the GPU is able to push 60 MHz and the display can push 144 MHz the display will do 60 MHz because that's what the GPU "wants" or "can do" I mean it does prevent tearing but again it doesn't have anything to do with FPS, the GPU acts like a T-CON board in a TV. (a Timing Controler modulates refreshes to prevent tearing in the image of course most computer monitors don't have these [unless you have an iMac 5k].)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization