Did I just fry my system?

m46

Turned it on today...system starts to reboot and dies....

There is now no power to the system other than the red light on the motherboard.. I cannot get this thing going I've tried letting the capacitors drain, reseting the bios, attempted using the flashback button etc. The thing is dead....

I stress tested this thing using the defaults (3.4, 3.8) for a week on this thing and its been running cold to the touch (...literally) wtf happened?..

Did you try unplugging and removing your Cmos battery?

Did you try unplugging and removing your Cmos battery?

Yes, the only thing that will get anything to come on is if I unplug everything including usb devices and hold the bios flash button down for 5 secondsish... the fans will start to spin, then die

so it doesn't even attempt to turn on? Or does it fail to get past POST? If you can manage to get back into BIOS just reset everything and next time, try tiny increments instead of jumping to your desired clock speed.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

so it doesn't even attempt to turn on? Or does it fail to get past POST? If you can manage to get back into BIOS just reset everything and next time, try tiny increments instead of jumping to your desired clock speed.

front panel power button does nothung, motherboard power button does nothing. The power light is ON, only the bios flash button will make the PC do a damn thing.. the video I watched said "if your PC wont boot with this configuration just reduce the multipler... so I figured okay thats easy enough.. But its deader than dead. lol...

I suggest trying a different psu just to rule out if that is the problem.  I bet at this point you're cursing yourself for OC'ing your rig when everything was running so smoothly......I know I would!  :)

I suggest trying a different psu just to rule out if that is the problem.  I bet at this point you're cursing yourself for OC'ing your rig when everything was running so smoothly......I know I would!   :)

I'm still trying to get my head around how this happened.. aren't there fail saves built in? 

I suggest trying a different psu just to rule out if that is the problem.  I bet at this point you're cursing yourself for OC'ing your rig when everything was running so smoothly......I know I would!   :)

No need to bury the dagger.

I found this from a Google search, though do note that I have never tried this and do not take any liability for any further damage :P

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Thats nothing new :P been doing that since the pentium days, the power button thats actually on the motherboard is wired in directly to those pins so either one functions the same.

Have you tried the paperclip test on your PSU?

Have you tried the paperclip test on your PSU?

I've had bad experiences with putting metal objects anywhere near 12v current.... so no :) I took the system in to where I bought it and hope they don't find out its been overclocked and wont warranty anything :(

I've had bad experiences with putting metal objects anywhere near 12v current.... so no :) I took the system in to where I bought it and hope they don't find out its been overclocked and wont warranty anything :(

What are you talking about you did not OC anything.. ;)

What are you talking about you did not OC anything.. ;)

id be pretty choked if they tell me I just dumped 2 grand on a paper weight and I'm going to have to individual RMA everything myself to find the issue

The bios flashback is intended to be used with an USB stick with a valid bios version on it. That will reset the bios settings, and update it.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

The bios flashback is intended to be used with an USB stick with a valid bios version on it. That will reset the bios settings, and update it.

I understand - it seems to be the only thing I can do to get this system to atleast momentarily power up (even with a usb drive with the bios on it)

So, using the stick with a BIOS file on it, does it boot and reach BIOS?

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

So, using the stick with a BIOS file on it, does it boot and reach BIOS?

No - I mentioned this earlier, I hit the bios flashback button, the fans start to spool for a brief moment, then it dies.

The tech told me the PC is working fine... what the f?

Has anyone experience this... I dont understand how my PC was dead for a whole day then magically it just works...

The tech told me the PC is working fine... what the f?

Is it back to you? Can you test that?

I'm going to get it tomorrow morning - do you guys suggest I attempt the same overclock to see if I can replicate it? (46x Multi, XMP Profile, 1.25v)

you shouldn't have set the XMP. Haswell can't have high DRAM frequencies when OC'd moderatley and i'm assuming the XMP profile was optimized for a high DRAM frequency.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

you shouldn't have set the XMP. Haswell can't have high DRAM frequencies when OC'd moderatley and i'm assuming the XMP profile was optimized for a high DRAM frequency.

Check the original post - the default XMP profile is 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5 which is the default for Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x4GB)

If I try to change the multipler without setting the XMP it just goes back to auto and won't let u breach 38x

Check the original post - the default XMP profile is 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5 which is the default for Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x4GB)

If I try to change the multipler without setting the XMP it just goes back to auto and won't let u breach 38x

nvm then you should have been fine with 1600, have you figured out what caused issue yet?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |