NAS? Guide me please?

killerdann12

So I'm running out of space for internal storage and have always wondered about the magical realm of NAS storage and such,

Anyone can point me in the right direction of building one or maybe buying one? like a video or such?

Either you're master race or you're not.

So I'm running out of space for internal storage and have always wondered about the magical realm of NAS storage and such,

Anyone can point me in the right direction of building one or maybe buying one? like a video or such?

Get a synology off Newegg. Web interface to it and fairly quick read and write speeds. Also when starting topics you can see replies easier from people by following your thread.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Get a synology off Newegg. Web interface to it and fairly quick read and write speeds. Also when starting topics you can see replies easier from people by following your thread.

ill look it up. I usually follow my own threads, in the subway right now so im going in and out of service. LOL

Another vote for a Synology from me too.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Synology is okay for home use. But stuff like offsite backup really is a pain. The cloud station software did not work good enough for me on two machines (video playback issues with local video on the machine, somehow the cloud station does aggressive change monitoring with a wrapper around explorer.exe or something like that).

But the basic Raid 1, samba share, user group stuff is completely fine on these machines. Power consumption and sleep mode are great too. If you want to run more advanced software though you might want to build yourself a small storage server with x86 instead of ARM, that is a problem that affects all consumer NAS since they use ARM processors (as far as I know).

Synology is okay for home use. But stuff like offsite backup really is a pain. The cloud station software did not work good enough for me on two machines (video playback issues with local video on the machine, somehow the cloud station does aggressive change monitoring with a wrapper around explorer.exe or something like that).

But the basic Raid 1, samba share, user group stuff is completely fine on these machines. Power consumption and sleep mode are great too. If you want to run more advanced software though you might want to build yourself a small storage server with x86 instead of ARM, that is a problem that affects all consumer NAS since they use ARM processors (as far as I know).

Why would you try video playback off a nas without an encoder?

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Mainly the nas would be to store some of my uploaded video and files that I don't need on my main drives. Some programs etc.

Possibly running games?? Idk if that's possible

Why would you try video playback off a nas without an encoder?

Video stored locally on the PC, but station software client was running. It was on my machine (set the nas up with a friend). The video was on the harddrive in my pc. I could verify my buttstation software as the reason. My friend had the same problem on his computer (mine a desktop, his a laptop). The NAS was not guilty, the software on the computer was.

Mainly the nas would be to store some of my uploaded video and files that I don't need on my main drives. Some programs etc.

Possibly running games?? Idk if that's possible

Programs would not run that fast off a NAS, games would be slow as well. There is a utility that can store your steam games somewhere else and do the copy process for you. So you could store the games you are currently not using there but playing them directly of the NAS does not work well.

Video stored locally on the PC, cloud station software client was running. It was on my machine (set the nas up with a friend). The video was on the harddrive in my pc. I could verify the cloudstation software as the reason. My friend had the same problem on his computer (mine a desktop, his a laptop). The NAS was not guilty, the software on the computer was.

Programs would not run that fast off a NAS, games would be slow as well. There is a utility that can store your steam games somewhere else and do the copy process for you. So you could store the games you are currently not using there but playing them directly of the NAS does not work well.

Works well to store them though, should be faster transfer them then downloading the games over and over again.

Works well to store them though, should be faster transfer them then downloading the games over and over again.

Hehe, I wrote "butt".

That was exactly the point I tried to make. The external storing of non-used games, not the butt. Storing them in your local network is a sensible option. The tool I would recommend is called Steam Mover, just google it.

Hehe, I wrote "butt".

That was exactly the point I tried to make. The external storing of non-used games, not the butt. Storing them in your local network is a sensible option. The tool I would recommend is called Steam Mover, just google it.

But I'm still able to store butts if I wanted to right? Will look it up.

BTW any recommended models from synology? Looking at it and I'm confused. Some saying usb3 speeds some saying others.

They're all diskless right?

Get something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-America-DiskStation-Attached-DS414j/dp/B00K6PCTCG

However if you want to build your own and have more features, meaning you are going the power user route...

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-70A4001LUX-E3-1225-Processor/dp/B00FE29IWK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423079990&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+ts-140

Get that, put more RAM in it, and setup FreeNAS. The Power supply in this server should handle it alright for about 6-8 hard drives. Maybe. Safely 4 hard drives though. I won't explain how to setup FreeNAS, if you aren't capable of reading technical documentation and google searching how to set it up, you probably shouldn't be using FreeNAS.

Get something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-America-DiskStation-Attached-DS414j/dp/B00K6PCTCG

However if you want to build your own and have more features, meaning you are going the power user route...

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-70A4001LUX-E3-1225-Processor/dp/B00FE29IWK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423079990&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+ts-140

Get that, put more RAM in it, and setup FreeNAS. The Power supply in this server should handle it alright for about 6-8 hard drives. Maybe. Safely 4 hard drives though. I won't explain how to setup FreeNAS, if you aren't capable of reading technical documentation and google searching how to set it up, you probably shouldn't be using FreeNAS.

Lol I can look that much up myself, would it be cheaper to build my own freeNAS since I will need need to add all those things? :) ATM still looking for suggestions. Want to make the best choice when I do decide on something, lots of money.

FreeNAS, especially done right (UPS, ECC RAM, server motherboard) isn't cheaper than synology, but it has some advantages (wider plugin support, customizability, power user options, enterprise-grade features).

If I were to build be own what kinds of parts, like xeon? stuff like that would i need just for home storage use, 

nothing super high end i asume

FreeNAS, especially done right (UPS, ECC RAM, server motherboard) isn't cheaper than synology, but it has some advantages (wider plugin support, customizability, power user options, enterprise-grade features).

Also could set up a web port to access his stuff from anywhere.

It misses the link. I just get 404.

I think I fixed it.

Freenas I presume? Can't tell you anything about that, have not yet had the liberty to play around with it.

Freenas I presume? Can't tell you anything about that, have not yet had the liberty to play around with it.

Yeah I might go the power user route, more expandability and all that. Although 8tb will be alot of storage anyways.

Yeah I might go the power user route, more expandability and all that. Although 8tb will be alot of storage anyways.

If youre going with that nic you should probably look at a switch with ether channel capabilities. to make the purchase worthwhile. Also that mobo combo is a bit up there. You could go with a cheaper amd board with a raid controller.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/killerdann12/saved/VpVZxr

This is a the new build i sized up, any good?  Will it run freenas fine?

also torn between this synology one https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS1515+

or the build shown above.

the synology one cost more when the drives are included but it less work to set up and such.

I would run the setup by the freenas forum, they should have the experience to tell you whether that should work or not. But read the stickies, I've had fun reading grumpy statements of the freenas gurus like "non-ecc RAM is a good way if you want to loose your data" or stuff like that. On the LTT forum you might find 3 people that know stuff and are willing to answer, in the freenas forum probably more.

Regarding the Syno: Well that's okay too for "just storage" and little else.