Need Help with Maths...

werto165

I'm doing some maths problems about finding the area enclosed by polar graphs, I've found one that's has stumped me: 

c69ad1c6a6.jpg

I know the general formula to work out the area its:  

A=area 

A=αβ​1/2r2dθ.

It's just finding the alpha and the beta that's the tricky part. 

I know you can calculate it by looking at the graph but that's not what I want to do. I want to be able to do it without the aid of a graph that's already been drawn. 

I know that you set r = 0 

such that -1/2 = sin(θ)

so θ = -pi/6

but I don't know where you go from there. 

I can draw a CAST diagram : 

MG11C17_035.png

because sin is negative, the angles are in the first quadrant( C ) and the fourth quadrant(T) 

Can someone just tell me if that's right. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm doing some maths problems about finding the area enclosed by polar graphs, I've found one that's has stumped me: 

c69ad1c6a6.jpg

A=area 

A=αβ21r2dθ.

I know you can calculate it by looking at the graph but that's not what I want to do. I want to be able to do it without the aid of a graph that's already been drawn. 

such that -1/2 = sin(θ)

so θ = -pi/6

MG11C17_035.png

because sin is negative, the angles are in the first quadrant( C ) and the fourth quadrant(T) 

omg you ask such difficult questions sorry i am to stupid for this

What grade is this? I have no idea what this is. xD

I don't think this is in school.

This is the type of stuff, where if you find the answer, on the next day some billion dollar company gives you a job offer.

But then again... what do I know...

LinusMathTips

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

What grade is this? I have no idea what this is. xD

Well I am 18 years old so whatever grade that is. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

c69ad1c6a6.jpg

A=area 

A=αβ​1/2r2dθ.

such that -1/2 = sin(θ)

so θ = -pi/6

MG11C17_035.png

Yup. I haven't gone through integrals of polar functions yet. But if to find the inner and outer bounds of your integrals is to let r = 0, then yeah your inner/outer bounds would be 7pi/6 and 11pi/6

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Wow what grade is this? I've just come into high school and im struggling, how can I get throigh THIS?!?!

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

This is uni level stuff for the people asking. What I would suggest is maipulate the question so you are solving something ever so slightly different, e.g rotate it 90 degrees,then work out the maxima and minima (You will have 2 max and 2 min), use common sense to work out which ones to use and then plug that into your equation.

Hope this helps.

(I would help a bit more but its getting late and I have uni early tomorrow)

Judging from the answers........you is F*****!

Man just do like the rest of them and fail or you can do like me and skip this bloody gray hair making question and go to the other maths question.  

Trying to make us relive that shit  :angry: thought we were friends! @werto165  :P

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Judging from the answers........you is F*****!

Man just do like the rest of them and fail or you can do like me and skip this bloody gray hair making question and go to the other maths question.  

Trying to make us relive that shit  :angry: thought we were friends! @werto165  :P

Well this isn't necessary for what I'm going to do in my exams, just thought that it's worth doing considering that I'm doing mechanical engineering at uni. I don't mind, I find maths really fun. 

Well this isn't necessary for what I'm going to do in my exams, just thought that it's worth doing considering that I'm doing mechanical engineering at uni. I don't mind, I find maths really fun. 

okay wizard okay!

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.