Linux VS Windows 8.1 on Laptop (ultrabook)!

Hello guys,

I currently own a Samsung ultrabook with the Intel Core i5 4200U running windows 8.1 and has a 128 gb ssd with 8 gb of ram..  it has a beautiful 3200x1800 touchscreen and simple things like youtube, downloaded movies and page scrolling LAG.  It seems to come in spikes..\

Im quite sick of this so in my mind i have a few options

1) deal with it

2) disable tons of functions and features and tone don the resolution ( but i like the high res and touchecreen (13.3inch btw))

3) find a better preforming operating system.

So here is my question, Is there a linux operating system that is lightweight and efficient.  All i need this computer for is internet and typing in class  ( i can use google docs instead of word if its not suppotted in linux)

also what about the chromebook OS?

Windows 10 is an options too but ill wait till its more complete and stable

ALso for more information i really just use this laptop for class and i have a full gaming rig for programs and stuff, i have office on it so its not detrimental to not have windows only programs considering google has most of the things online now anyways. (i5 2500k, Gtx 770, fractal define r5, samsung 840 evo in-case you were curious :)   )

Any input it extremely appreciated!!!

If you're using Chrome, go to chrome://flags and enable "Smooth scrolling" and "Scroll prediction", if they are disabled.

Something that I always do is disable Windows Search and Defender real-time protection, they impact hugely in performance and power consumption, you can try that too.

ChromiumOS is pretty good, but you won't have the best experience (only if you compile it yourself for your notebook) and support. If you want to try it for yourself, look at Arnold The Bat webpage to download the generic build .img that you will need to make a live USB: http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/

yea i already have defender turned off, but i will try the scroll settings, thanks

I'd go for what ever flavor of Linnux seems right to you.

I'm using Arch Linux on a VAIO Pro 13 which has basically the same hardware appart from the screen, and I have to say, it's sooo much smoother and faster.

Especially if you're doing some coding (had to the last semester), Linux is just so much more comfortable to work with.

If you're new to Linux, try something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint,

if you're experienced, try something like Arch, which is not *that easy" (but there's plenty of documentation and so on, so ever if you're new, you shouldn't have too many problems with it though) or Debian, which is not as bleeding edge as Arch., but pretty much as stable as it get for an OS.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I'd go for what ever flavor of Linnux seems right to you.

I'm using Arch Linux on a VAIO Pro 13 which has basically the same hardware appart from the screen, and I have to say, it's sooo much smoother and faster.

Especially if you're doing some coding (had to the last semester), Linux is just so much more comfortable to work with.

If you're new to Linux, try something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint,

if you're experienced, try something like Arch, which is not *that easy" (but there's plenty of documentation and so on, so ever if you're new, you shouldn't have too many problems with it though) or Debian, which is not as bleeding edge as Arch., but pretty much as stable as it get for an OS.

alright i might give linux a go, i guess its time to do some research!

alright i might give linux a go, i guess its time to do some research!

The only thing you'll really have to look into, is the EFI part (since your laptop is using UEFI). It's not that hard with grub (which is recommended, Syslinux will work. but grub rox).

You can find pretty nice YouTube tutorials and you'll most likely find a wiki page for your specific laptop on the arch / ubuntu / whatever-wiki :)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...