Need help with fresh win7 install

ooloops
Go to solution Solved by R4STABAN,

Are you trying some kind of repair install?

Might be related - there is a bug with the windows 7 install that will put the system reserved (needed for boot) partition on a hard drive if it's present when you install the OS to an SSD.

If that happened to you and your system partition is on the storage drive/raid array then any repair installer won't be able to find it if you've only got the ssd plugged in.

If your system partition was on the SSD, or you're trying a fresh install you could plug the ssd into another windows machine and run a cmd prompt

diskpart

list disk

select disk [your ssd]

clean

or do the same on cmd within the installer if you can get to it (can't remember)

I'm assuming this is 60gb SSD + raid 0 + 1tb storage setup

OK, so I just installed my new motherboard and was planning on doing a complete re-install of my C:/ drive and my RAID0 array so I backed everything up onto my 1TB storage drive yesterday.

I don't have an optical drive in the system so I made myself a bootable USB drive with the windows 7 iso on it. Everything seemed to go fine, however after I got to the 'Where do you want to install windows?' screen and formatted the drive I was greeted with the following message:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20170573/Photo_00007.jpg

If you can't read it, it says that the "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information."

So, my question is, what can I do to install windows on this drive? Does anyone know if it is a problem with the .iso or with the drive etc etc.

I do have a windows cd somewhere and if I really must I can always go pick up an optical drive for $20.

Any help much appreciated.

Have you installed your Raid driver?

It doesn't look like its working Its saying you've got a single 60GB drive. :S

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I did got something similar iI used a linux bootable cd to format the hdd

what raid setup are you using is it onboard on the motherboard or a raid card and what is the make and model number so i can look up the driver for you.

Are you trying some kind of repair install?

Might be related - there is a bug with the windows 7 install that will put the system reserved (needed for boot) partition on a hard drive if it's present when you install the OS to an SSD.

If that happened to you and your system partition is on the storage drive/raid array then any repair installer won't be able to find it if you've only got the ssd plugged in.

If your system partition was on the SSD, or you're trying a fresh install you could plug the ssd into another windows machine and run a cmd prompt

diskpart

list disk

select disk [your ssd]

clean

or do the same on cmd within the installer if you can get to it (can't remember)

I'm assuming this is 60gb SSD + raid 0 + 1tb storage setup