Nvidia Shield WIFI connection without router?

alepodj
Go to solution Solved by Maskot,

It's like a wifi printer, you can't connect straight to it, unfortunately, you need a router to use it.

The question is simple really, 

Do i need a router to connect/stream to shield? AD HOC network possible laptop-shield?

What you guys think

Thanks

PS: i have asus g55 with gtx660 and is compatible with shield according to nvidia

PC Gaming forever...

It's like a wifi printer, you can't connect straight to it, unfortunately, you need a router to use it.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

ohhh that's so bad and sad for me,

that lowered the interest for shield to a 5% maybe

I wonder why NVidia didn't think about that, is a portable device in the first place,

maybe you don't wanna use it at home? or don't have internet which means you don't have a router?

Well thanks for the reply

PC Gaming forever...

if thats the case how come i can get xbox live on my xbox without a router

i tell you how

have a laptop or pc with a wireless and wired connection or both and set windows to bridge the connections so in other words internet comes in via wifi and is sent to the wired connection to my xbox. if you had two wireless card you could do the same create a infrastructure network on one and tell windows to share the internet from one wifi card to another

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

i tell you how

have a laptop or pc with a wireless and wired connection or both and set windows to bridge the connections so in other words internet comes in via wifi and is sent to the wired connection to my xbox. if you had two wireless card you could do the same create a infrastructure network on one and tell windows to share the internet from one wifi card to another

Was just going to say this!

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

i tell you how

Have fun streaming a 1080p game through that.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Have fun streaming a 1080p game through that.

i do

i have 100mbs internet

100mbs / 8 = 12.5MBs

you need to have at least 2 -3 MBs for hd streaming.

do you have a mobile phone? do you watch hd videos over the internet?

well heres something

max speeds for mobile internet (hsdpa or aka 3g+) is 42mbs

lets do some maths

42mbs / 8 = 5.25MBs

so you could even do hd streaming on mobile internet (just)

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

i do

i have 100mbs internet

100mbs / 8 = 12.5MBs

you need to have at least 2 -3 MBs for hd streaming.

do you have a mobile phone? do you watch hd videos over the internet?

well heres something

max speeds for mobile internet (hsdpa or aka 3g+) is 42mbs

lets do some maths

42mbs / 8 = 5.25MBs

so you could even do hd streaming on mobile internet (just)

You do realize that the game will be streaming in uncompressed 1080p at 60fps which is 3Gbps.

You do realize that the game will be streaming in uncompressed 1080p at 60fps which is 3Gbps.

ten thats not possible because gigabit Ethernet can only support 1gbs. so unless its fitted with a 10 gigabit Ethernet then its not true. have a look at onlive.com it allows you to play pc games on your phone or tv via the internet thanks to the cloud. now your phone will most likely be connected via wifi and most phones dont support any higher than 54mbs and most routers dont even support 300mbs. (yes i know there is 600mbs wifi routers out there but there basically two 300mbs chips hence dual band) 

so for what you said to be true 

1. it comes with 10 gigabit wifi (i doubt it)

2. what you said is rubbish

or

3. nvidia are not telling us something

also where did you get the 1080p bit from?

coming from nvidia's site it will play 720p games and be running a res of 1280x720. if it was to play 1080p it would have to downscale it so the game would look crap.

come on if your gonna lie at least make it believable or is your ego too big

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Nvidia shield will only be 720p? Definitely will not buy, and if you want to stream real time loseless HD video at 1080p (which is what I thought the shield had) it would be 3Gbps.

if your pc has wifi, you can create an AD-HOC network, this should work although you will have to manually assign some networking settings such as local ip .etc