HDMI vs. VGA how much improvement?

CookieTheMonsta

Ok, before you bash me for using VGA cables in 2015, it's not my fault, I don't really care, buuuuut, I just want to ask before I spent my money on no improvement. How much will I see a difference and where, in what aspect will I see it? Because I use 1080p display (acer v223hq) and everything looks good. Now before I go and buy new monitor with display port or hdmi, I want to know in what way will I see improvement?

[spoiler= My "gaming rig" ]

• CPU: Intel i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Asrock B75M-GL R2.0
  • RAM: 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Kingston, 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Transcend
  • GPU: MSI GTX 770 Gaming OC 2 GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 plus white
  • Storage: WD Blue 500 GB, WD Black 1 TB
  • PSU: LC POWER 650W ATX v2.3 80+ bronze
  • Display(s): Acer V223HQ
  • Cooling: Scythe SCKTN-3000
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire TK MX blue
  • Mouse: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse

The bigger improvement will come from newer monitors looking much better (and there is a pretty big improvement there), although there will also be an improvement from vga to hdmi. 

I'd also hold out for a 24" monitor, and would probably wait for 4k at this point. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you bash this man for using VGA, you'll have to bash me too, I use a DVI-to-VGA adapter for my secondary monitor.

longer cables + higher res +sound + better quality 

So basically sharper image, still a little bit skeptical, but will think about it haha

hdmi crushes it but with hdmi when your monitor is idle it will stay idle even when you press it so you need to restart your monitor

I switched from VGA to DVI-D and then to HDMI. 

Aaaaand, there was no difference on my 1080p monitor.

That is the answer i'm looking for. Everybody is telling me it's better, and I believe them, but I still think it's not worth buying new monitor for just HDMI. And if I even buy it, I will see no big difference to make it worth. Thank you.

That is the answer i'm looking for. Everybody is telling me it's better, and I believe them, but I still think it's not worth buying new monitor for just HDMI. And if I even buy it, I will see no big difference to make it worth. Thank you.

The thing though is, monitors have gotten MUCH better since the VGA days. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Tried it and no difference. But I'm using dvi because why now

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The thing though is, monitors have gotten MUCH better since the VGA days. 

Yeah but, I'm still sticking to 1080p, so not much is changing for me. I will not see difference. Guess I'll wait more time, when 4k gets cheap and gpus can run 4k with no problems at all. So few years hah :P

Yeah but, I'm still sticking to 1080p, so not much is changing for me. I will not see difference. Guess I'll wait more time, when 4k gets cheap and gpus can run 4k with no problems at all. So few years hah :P

There would still be a big difference....monitors have gotten much better since the days when you bought yours. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ok, before you bash me for using VGA cables in 2015, it's not my fault, I don't really care, buuuuut, I just want to ask before I spent my money on no improvement. How much will I see a difference and where, in what aspect will I see it? Because I use 1080p display (acer v223hq) and everything looks good. Now before I go and buy new monitor with display port or hdmi, I want to know in what way will I see improvement?

I hope there is no difference, I am replacing one of the monitors on my triple screen racing sim rig tonight and the replacement is VGA only. so I will have one on HDMI, one on DVI and one on VGA - HDMI / DVI are identical in terms of visual quality.

Display port enables you to use monitors with very high resolutions and / or refresh rates. HDMI 1.4 / DVI can not do 4k at 60hz - HDMI 2.0 can do it however I have seen many corners cut with this tech with compromises on colour quality (chroma sub-sampling to be specific) and many TV's and monitors on the market run 4:2:0 chroma as opposed to 4:4:4 (what you want) - its not a huge issue for video but the difference is there and for text its a huge difference.

Things to get your head around before taking the plunge:

• Colour bit depth (6, 8, 10 and above) - including pixel dithering
  • Chroma sub-sampling (compressed colour details)
  • Pixel type (TN vs. VA. vs. IPS) - and the different types of IPS
  • Analogue signal cabling vs. Digital signal cabling (they have different considerations)
  • Refresh rates (preety straight forward,  don't go less than 60hz)
  • DPI (screen resolution vs. screen size) - and desktop scaling in windows

Do a bit of reading on these things and you will know much more clearly what is important to you in a display and what to look for when sinking your hard earned cash into something you will stare at (if your anything like me) a whole lot.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.