HELP! FIRST BUILD!

Greg_titan

I've been blowing up my mind the last few weeks about which chipset should I base my pc on. As far as I know, x99 is one the latest that has been released. I'm planning to use my pc for 3D modelling and gaming, not in 4K, at least untill it gets more reachable. Then here comes the problem. I've been told in other posts than x99 is too much for my purposes, even a waste buuuuuuut, since I'm going to spend my money in a pc, I do NOT want it to get OBSOLETE in a next future. So, what should I pick? H97, Z97, Z79, or the only possible one is X99? (at least untill they release the Skylake cpus, the new chipsets, bla bla bla...) I mean, what is the difference of 200-300$ (from a good Z97 to an acceptable x99) compared with the upgradeability?

If you are really into 3D modelling X99 if you do it just lightly get Z97/H97.

X99 supports more lanes and better CPUs, Z97/H97 is the consumer grade version with less lanes and quad core CPUs enough for most of the work

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

i'd go z97.

I bought my i7 3 years ago and it's still a freaking beast. So if you buy a 4790k now it'll still be beast in 5years. Maybe you should wait for Broadwell though because it should be right around the corner. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

@Greg_titan depending on where you live the price difference can be as little as $100 and higher. 

All in all, it's your money. At the end of the build it's your decision on how you want to spend it.

If you have the budget than feel free to get the X99 .

I7 4790K • Corsair H110 • MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition • Kingston Fury Hyper X (White)(16GB)(1866Mhz) • Crucial MX 100 512 GB • Seagate Barracuda 1TB • Phantek Enthoo Pro • EVGA G2 750 Watt 

Asus DRW Optical Drive • TP Link Wifi Adapter • Asus MX279H • CM Devastator Bundle (Blue) • Bitfenix Spectre Pro (White) • Windows 8.1

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

X99 + 5820k + 16GB of 4x4 DDR4 - Socket 2011-3 (If the trend continues) will last one more CPU line until a new CPU socket/chipset comes

Z97 + 4790k + 16GB of 2x8 DDR3 - Will last one more CPU lineup guaranteed: Broadwell. DDR3 can be carried over to skylake as it will have DDR3 and DDR4 boards.

It basically boils down to this. Assuming the 2011 trend continues they both have just one more upgrade cycle so to speak so it's up to you what you want to do. Do note that skylake has been delayed to coincide with the launch of AMD's Zen architecture

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

If you are doing such heavy loads you need an i7 5960X or something like that, that works best with an X99 platform, then by all means go for it if you have the bucks.

But if you don't need that, then theres no point. Z97 or H97 performs good as well and in that case, X99 would be a waste of money.

We are not that near to X99 taking over, not yet. By the time X99 takes over, you will already be buying a new machine anyway.

Basically to  put it all together:

If you need a very powerful CPU (like the one listed up), then X99 would be the right choice to go along.

If you don't need such a CPU, then Z97 is right for you.

The chipset only handles the communication between the other components, so as far as it doesn't "bottle-neck" your hardware, everything is fine. The only thing to take in consideration beside that is future proof-ness, but I don't think you need to worry about that now.

Also:

What is your budget?

then dont even think about x99... the boards and chips are expensive, the ram is expensive, and then you wouldn't have money for a decent graphics card.

Just use pc picker. I also recommend parts so if you have question (i am gret with gpus) please le me know

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

then dont even think about x99... the boards and chips are expensive, the ram is expensive, and then you wouldn't have money for a decent graphics card.

exactly

Depends on the 3D modelling program.

I use Blender and I use the GPU to render, not the CPU, since the GPU outperforms the CPU in rendering. If that is also the case for you, then focus more on the GPU than the CPU. Z97 + an adequate GPU should be enough for you. I can't really utilize the CPU for Blender.

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)