Plex Media Server

greedy09

Hi guys,

Im looking for a good media server for at home and was wondering if anyone has used or is using Plex and whether not its any good?

Cheers

Plex is pretty good, I think the only downside it has going for it are that the mobile apps are paid. However, considering what the service does, I don't think the cost is a big deal. You can stream it to most set-top boxes, even the Apple TV 3 if you look up the workaround. The interface is pretty good, too, but it's not that different from other applications.

On a personal note, I'm not the biggest fan of how it or other comparable applications handle metadata, since it will get the information wrong (yes, even with the file name matching the format suggested by the developers) on most of my obscure movies, and even some of the not-so-obscure films. It doesn't even let me use the tags that are in the files already instead of what the service fetches from its sources (if I'm wrong about this, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me and tell me how to make plex behave this way).

Edit: Also, this post seems like it should be in the Home Theater section since Plex is widely used for HTPCs.

I personally built my own FreeNAS box. It has great functionality for being free software.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

We're using it at my house and it works pretty good. I can't really compare it to other similar software though. I like how it puts parts of a movie together automatically. It has a good subtitle feature as well. The information on the movie is usually accurate.

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

I tried it briefly, its was ok but my media collection is quite extensive and to manually fix the files it couldn't scrape was a horrible experience. I switched back to XBMC and use XBNE for any manual management I need. If you have a small collection starting out it is probably very good.

I've used it for a long time. I only have one complaint about it. When you add movies / series', at first it'll look horrible. Some movies etc. might be recognized wrong and therefor have the wrong title, cover and text. However if you manage to set it up right, it's AWESOME :) It'll take some time though.

The easiest way to do it, would be to rename your movie folder to something else. Create a new movie folder and then move a few movies at a time. It'll make it a bit easier to correct the issues :)

Apart from that it works very well. I just changed my server too much, so that I'd have to set it up like every other month. Had it supported just adding the raw file location or whatever. I'd still use it :P