Hello, I'm new to the forum and I hope this is the right section to post this is, but I'm looking to upgrade my current PC's gpu and cpu and I would love some recommendations. I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T cpu, and a Nvidia Geforce 650 Ti gpu. I have around $550 to spend and would ideally like to be able to run GTA V when it is released at decent framerate. My motherboard only supports AMD processors, so please no intel recommendations, but apart from that all recommendations are appreciated!

Hey, welcome to the forum.

How about you just list your full build, so we can have a look at it and decide what is best :)

Anyways, 550 dollars seems like a reasonable budget. I guess you want to play at 1080p?

Can your motherboard take FX CPU's? Otherwise it might be worthwhile upgrading to Intel.

Maybe getting a 280(x) and a new mobo and Intel CPU is best..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What motherboard and how much ram? and you probably wont get better frame if you upgrade the cpu. I would just get a new GPU and more ram if you have less then 8Gb. I would also wait for the 300 series AMD GPUs.

If you get a new cpu+Motherboard it would eat a $250 hole.... More then that that is like black Friday deals

Not sure if this helps but my motherboard is a M5A97 R2.0 model, my psu is a CX750 and I have 5gb of RAM

This is what I think you should get

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($174.29 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $514.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

with the $50 i would get a cooler, but that is personal preference. or if you already have a oem cooler then get an ssd I have seen some $60 128 gig ones.

Thanks for the recommendation ClearMud, those all look pretty solid. I was looking around a bit though and saw the GTX 970 ranked higher than the Radeon 290X for only a little more money, would that be another good choice?

well currently the 970 is having some problems with the memory once it gets past 3.25Gb but I would wait for the r9 3XX series of cards they should come out before GTA5

Okay, I may just roll with the original card you recommended, it looks like a really solid choice. I was also wondering if I could just get more RAM to put me up to 8 gigs without buying the whole 8 in bulk, and if so if that would be any worse

$550? get a gtx 970 or 290x,more ram and just overclock the crap out your x6 and save the 150-200 for a better cpu/motherboard upgrade later. those x6 get as good performance as fx8 in games so i say buy a gpu and ram

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Thanks for the recommendation, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I don't really have any experience with overclocking though, is there anything important I should know before I attempt to overclock?