Trade in R9 270x or...nah?

Go to solution Solved by Dive5885,

Because 970 is over my price range. Right now Im on a strict budget.

They're over his budget. 

Sorry just noticed the budget is $230 max.

I would save up and get a 970 or if you can't wait go for the 960

Ah, alright, well, I'd try to hold off a little bit -- a week or two -- and see if their stock gets any better. 

It's not even an issue. At sub 4k resolutions it makes no difference, and at 4k you shouldn't be buying a 970. 

I'm not familiar with the issue so I don't know much about it besides that people are complaining all over the place. 

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

I'm not familiar with the issue so I don't know much about it besides that people are complaining all over the place. 

Basically the card was advertised with 4gb of VRAM, 2mb L2 Cache, and 64 ROPs. As it turns out there is 3.5gb main VRAM and then .5gb secondary VRAM, which has a much slower access time. Additionally the 970 only has 1.67mb L2 cache and 56 ROPs enabled (although the rest is still there). Whats been reported to have happened is the marketing team didn't realize the .3mb of cache and 8 ROPs were disabled on the 970. 

So now everyone's freaking out and a select few are fanboying hard.

Is it an issue? Performance-wise? Not really as you should buy a card based on the benchmarks -- which still haven't changed. The smaller amount of VRAM isn't even an issue at sub-4k resolutions, and seeing as the 970 doesn't handle 4k particularly well (even SLI 980s doesn't handle 4k well) you shouldn't be buying 970s and expecting 4k performance. 

Ethically? Yes, I can completely understand people being upset with Nvidia and giving them all kinds of shit -- thats fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ill wait a week. Im thinking either the MSI or EVGA 960...

-Specs on my profile-

Basically the card was advertised with 4gb of VRAM, 2mb L2 Cache, and 64 ROPs. As it turns out there is 3.5gb main VRAM and then .5gb secondary VRAM, which has a much slower access time. Additionally the 970 only has 1.67mb L2 cache and 56 ROPs enabled (although the rest is still there). Whats been reported to have happened is the marketing team didn't realize the .3mb of cache and 8 ROPs were disabled on the 970. 

So now everyone's freaking out and a select few are fanboying hard.

Is it an issue? Performance-wise? Not really as you should buy a card based on the benchmarks -- which still haven't changed. The smaller amount of VRAM isn't even an issue at sub-4k resolutions, and seeing as the 970 doesn't handle 4k particularly well (even SLI 980s doesn't handle 4k well) you shouldn't be buying 970s and expecting 4k performance. 

Ethically? Yes, I can completely understand people being upset with Nvidia and giving them all kinds of shit -- thats fine. 

I've heard nothing but good things about the 970, that's the only reason I said he should save up and get one.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

I've heard nothing but good things about the 970, that's the only reason I said he should save up and get one.

Like I said, this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion with people all uppity over how they're not getting the performance they paid for -- when in fact the performance is exactly the same as the it was launched. 

With that said, it's perfectly understandable for people to be upset with Nvidia and wanting a refund -- not because their card is crippled, but rather because they don't want to support Nvidia. However, thats not the case -- not with most people anyway. 

If you want an idea of the stupidity that I'm talking about, just skim through this thread...although, you'll probably be ready to shoot yourself after page 30 (the place I just couldn't take the bullshit anymore). http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/298855-official-nvidia-flat-out-lied-about-gtx-970-specs-has-56-rops-and-less-cache-than-adevrtised/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.