Windows 8.1

amunj

Here is the download and install link to everyone who have windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview

.ISO files:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

I will post the link to the .iso file as soon as I find it, or someone else will post it.

What do you all think?

Pros and cons

Feel  free to post screenshots of your metro layout and everything else that has to do with windows 8.1.

Can you send some links?

You may need to use this fix posted by Johan Rensenbrink on the Windows forum @answers.microsoft.com to bypass the "The update is not applicable to your computer" error...

"1. Place and rename the MSU file in an easily accessible place, e.g. C:\8preview\preview.msu

2. open command prompt in administrator mode.
3. Type: Expand –F:* c:\8preview\preview.msu C:\8preview\
4. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\8preview\Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64.cab

Replace the "x64.cab" on the end of step 4 with -x86.cab" for 32-bit versions and "-arm.cab" for RT versions.

Your text may be corrupted in the Windows 8 store for the 8.1 download page on restart, but the Windows 8.1 preview should download once the servers become less overloaded."

With any luck Microsoft will fix all the bugs and the system will be running correctly by tomorrow evening.

Installing this now, hope with such wide offering it won't require a system re-install when its finalized (no, I didn't read the FAQs).

Well, things did NOT go well:

Installed using the store as instructed, downloaded it requested a restart, then its setup ran to 82% and hung.  After about 10 min I hit reset button, got a message on reboot saying "restoring your previous windows", then a reboot followed said my system was broken and it tried the troubleshooter which couldn't find anything to fix.

The option to reinstall without wiping everything did not work.

I had to do the full reset where it erases everything from the windows install drive.

I understand this is "test" software, but I don't do anything special with my system and only have a SSD/HD setup with just Windows 8 installed.  Kinda shocked this happened.

Trying googling around on the tablet and not seeing any similar issues, so I guess its just something with my hardware configuration.

Well, things did NOT go well:

Installed using the store as instructed, downloaded it requested a restart, then its setup ran to 82% and hung.  After about 10 min I hit reset button, got a message on reboot saying "restoring your previous windows", then a reboot followed said my system was broken and it tried the troubleshooter which couldn't find anything to fix.

The option to reinstall without wiping everything did not work.

I had to do the full reset where it erases everything from the windows install drive.

I understand this is "test" software, but I don't do anything special with my system and only have a SSD/HD setup with just Windows 8 installed.  Kinda shocked this happened.

Trying googling around on the tablet and not seeing any similar issues, so I guess its just something with my hardware configuration.

You'll hate me for this. But I was in the same boat as you... but I just waited it. Windows 8.1 upgrades Windows 8.0, so the process is not like a Service Pack. It's a bit of time consuming.

You'll hate me for this. But I was in the same boat as you... but I just waited it. Windows 8.1 upgrades Windows 8.0, so the process is not like a Service Pack. It's a bit of time consuming.

Same. My upgrade took a good 1.5 - 2 hours.

Any word on weather a re-install will be required when its finalised. I want this but I don't want to have to re-install when it is finalised.

Hopefully these tweaks work properly. Now they just need to build a sound manager that lets you set different programs to different sound devices and I will be completely happy :D

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

A fair warning: the 8.1 released today is NOT the final version. It's simply a public preview version, likely unfinished and not without problems.

In addition, according to the article linked at the bottom, "There is a catch, however: users installing the public preview will not be able to upgrade to the final release without reinstalling all of their applications. Those who choose to not participate in the preview, meanwhile, will be able to seamlessly upgrade to Windows 8.1 without having to reinstall anything."

So basically, don't download the update until the official version comes out later this year, unless you don't mind completely reinstalling your machine. For those of you who did already download it, I hope you kept a backup...

Reference: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1300771/windows-8-1-public-preview-released

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

Yes. I upgraded it on my laptop.. as I have no games, and have few application only.

Windows 8.1 is coming out officially at the end of the year.

That is why it's called Preview.

If people wonder, I have encountered a few bugs. Nothing system crashing, or big.. but it has some bugs (Like any preview (Beta) version of Windows)

I gave up because I saw no drive activity for awhile and getting to 82% was pretty quick on the SSD.  I might try again since I still have to re-install all my applications still.

Ok, cool.

That's the downside of using beta software... sometimes bad luck happens and craps out.

A fair warning: the 8.1 released today is NOT the final version. It's simply a public preview version, likely unfinished and not without problems.

In addition, according to the article linked at the bottom, "There is a catch, however: users installing the public preview will not be able to upgrade to the final release without reinstalling all of their applications. Those who choose to not participate in the preview, meanwhile, will be able to seamlessly upgrade to Windows 8.1 without having to reinstall anything."

So basically, don't download the update until the official version comes out later this year, unless you don't mind completely reinstalling your machine. For those of you who did already download it, I hope you kept a backup...

Reference: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1300771/windows-8-1-public-preview-released

They said quite a while back already. Also, it's just reinstalling your Metro and desktop applications, your documents are left untouched.

Decided to give it a second go, and it did not take much time at all during the setup phase, maybe 5 min total.  It did take awhile to "get ready" to install.  So I do believe my first attempt was a freeze.

Now to check it out!

Ok, Well it'll be a VM for me then.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

They said quite a while back already. Also, it's just reinstalling your Metro and desktop applications, your documents are left untouched.

It seems like a lot of people were out of the loop on the matter. I had a couple friends who saw the update and jumped on it, not realizing the cost of it. I haven't heard if you can system restore the update away or not, but one of them is pretty peeved about the whole thing...

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

It seems like a lot of people were out of the loop on the matter. I had a couple friends who saw the update and jumped on it, not realizing the cost of it. I haven't heard if you can system restore the update away or not, but one of them is pretty peeved about the whole thing...

Uninstalling the preview isn't supported. However, it may be possible to restore your entire system to its factory condition.

If your PC came with Windows 8 you may be able to restore it back to Windows 8 by using PC refresh. Your personal files won't be affected, but apps that did not come with the PC will need to be reinstalled and apps that you installed while using the preview may not be available through the Windows 8 Store. To find out more about using PC refresh, see Restore, refresh, or reset your PC.

If you're running Windows XPWindows Vista, or Windows 7, you can't uninstall the preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media you might be able to create it before you update from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info. After you install Windows 8.1 Preview you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-faq