Windows 8.1 Preview is here

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/06/26/the-windows-8-1-preview-is-here.aspx

As you can see in the video, they brought back the start button but from what it looks like, they managed to do it wrong again as it doesn't actually bring up the start menu -_- I haven't tried it and probably won't because all of the features which they have added I don't use anyway. I'll just stick to my Windows 8 with Classic Start because clearly Windows haven't been given enough feedback to add their own start menu... I mean it's not like it is the MOST talked about thing which is missing from Windows 8...

Anyway, feel free to discuss, do you like anything that has been implemented, and will you switch? Do you already use Windows 8 and do you feel a proper start button is necessary?

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

I use Windows 8 before it was even launched and I never really missed the Start Menu. The switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is really a breeze for me and I actually don't want the Start Menu to come back in Windows 8.1. All the programs I need are pinned in the Start Screen (which is like 2 clicks away) but with the Start Menu, I have to press the button -> All programs and scroll to the list of folders to launch a program. All I want in Windows 8 is to make the Search unified (which is said to be included with 8.1). I really want the new additions in 8.1 so far.

If the Start button doesn't really bring back the classic menu then I hope they provide option to disable it...

I use Windows 8 before it was even launched and I never really missed the Start Menu. The switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is really a breeze for me and I actually don't want the Start Menu to come back in Windows 8.1. All the programs I need are pinned in the Start Screen (which is like 2 clicks away) but with the Start Menu, I have to press the button > All programs and scroll to the list of folders to launch a program. All I want in Windows 8 is to make the Search unified (which is said to be included with 8.1). I really want the new additions in 8.1 so far. :D

Hopefully they provide option to disable the Start button...

Yeah, I understand for some people the start screen is actually really useful, do you by chance use a touch computer?

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Yeah, I understand for some people the start screen is actually really useful, do you by chance use a touch computer?

I don't use a touch computer.. :)

I would get the preview but I don't have the means to back up my files at the moment.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I don't use a touch computer.. :)

Interesting...  I've been using Win 8 for a while (w/ mouse + keyboard) but could never get attached to the Start Screen, I suppose everyone just has different fancies...

Interesting...  I've been using Win 8 for a while (w/ mouse + keyboard) but could never get attached to the Start Screen, I suppose everyone just has different fancies...

I don't use it that much either. I only go there whenever I launch a program since most of my programs are pinned there. I do not have any Icons on my desktop so I either launch applications on pinned taskbar or Start Screen...

I much prefer the modern ui to the old start menu.  Everything I use all the time is on the desktop, so the only time I ever used the start menu was to find a program that I didn't use often, and this is much easier on the new ui.  May still install win 8.1 just for the boot to desktop (I think it has this feature?) but otherwise its not a huge deal for me.  

Start screen is awesome. And I also don't have the touch screen. I have it on my laptop and desktop, which I use both daily. And even installed it at work, like the rest of the IT department.

We, surprisingly, like Win8. But we won't upgrade the computers now as we follow a 6 year update cycle. We upgraded to Win7 the first summer that Win7 was released.

The thing is that the Start Screen required to be learned. Once you learn it, you can customize it. Here is an old screen shot of my desktop PC at home of my Start Screen.

dss.png

As you can see, I group my stuff nicely, name them, and pin any folder I want.

Wow nice, the gray picture icons blows away anything offered by win7 and OSX.  I'm sure we'll have plenty of cool mods for it too.  Can't wait to get a new system!!!

I am actually one of those people who downgraded back to Windows 7 as navigating anywhere without the startmenu was really hard. I guess within a few more releases, I'll eventually upgrade :)

PC in Profile

ISO will be available tomorrow, it looks like :/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download-preview

I might just plan to dual boot it and see if it is good and see if all my applications are compatible before switching.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I find that Microsoft is getting more arrogant every OS they bring out. XBone was bad enough but ruining the only good gaming platform is going a step too far in my opinion. I will continue to use Windows 7 until they bring out an OS suited to my and many others needs properly. It seems like Microsoft is cashing into the mobile market while they still can before the bubble bursts and everyone rushes back to Desktop and console. That is if the next-gen consoles live up to their hype which their hardware does not.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

On my laptop, I decided to download it via the Microsoft Store, and not wait for the ISO.

If it's stable enough and my programs works fine, I'll dual boot it on my desky, especially that I have the space on my SSD there (256GB, while the laptop is only 128GB), to be able to do this comfortably.

Windows 7 Ultimate, i'll stick with it.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Ok Win 8.1 installed, everything is running solidly so far.

Lots of awesomeness. I did notice that it looks like Microsoft is ditching it's Windows Experience Index, as its no longer there.

No way to remove the Start Button :(

There is no download yet DUHH.

The update was made available during the keynote, durr.

I find that Microsoft is getting more arrogant every OS they bring out. XBone was bad enough but ruining the only good gaming platform is going a step too far in my opinion. I will continue to use Windows 7 until they bring out an OS suited to my and many others needs properly. It seems like Microsoft is cashing into the mobile market while they still can before the bubble bursts and everyone rushes back to Desktop and console. That is if the next-gen consoles live up to their hype which their hardware does not.

Its not they are worried about the mobile market its they just want money and they don't seem to care or are showing that they don't care about he end user.