Buy Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X 8 GB or wait for AMD's new GPUs

Gondvanaz

I already bought couple games and i can't wait anymore (i am waiting since october for AMD's new cards and it seems that they will start to release them in April). I will play at 1440p. I was hesitating between GTX 970 and R9 290X.

Is Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X 8 GB enoughly powerful to utilize extra 4 GB VRAM? And any informations about the VRAM of the upcoming R300 series of AMD. Will they be 4 GB or 8 GB? The thing which bothers me is that R9 290X is probably EOL GPU, so for same money i will be able to buy more powerful GPU in near future. Otherwise at least in these reviews this GPU seems a little bit better than GTX 970 at higher than 1080p resolution.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6818/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-8gb-vapor-x-oc-video-card-review/index.html

Waiting for the new cards doesn't hurt, but they might be two or three months away.

I'd wait

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

wait till the new cards

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

Even at 4K no more than 4GB of VRAM is needed, so the 8 GB is a waste.

But just in general, I would wait for the new cards.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Do you know how your gramma will buy a more expensive pc "because it has more GBs on the hard disk"? Same thing goes for the 8gb Vram stuff. Forget it. It's useless, at least given your cenario.

Regarding the wait for a new GPU... well, you seem to be in a pretty rush for it, huh? Still, it might be worth it. If you already have the 1440p display, you should just grab a 290x and have fun with it. If not, allocate your money towards buying the panel first and the GPU later.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I don't think the 8GB versions are worth it, small advantage even at 4k. As for the new cards, I expect AMD to aim their flagship at 4k, but if they end up having the fastest card on the market, they will probably ask a big premium for it, like nvidia does for the 980 now.

The 8gbs of vram are only used in crazy ass configurations like linus's ultra wide 1440p three way monitor epic super awesome setup.

Well... otherwise which one is performing better at 2560 x 1440 according to you? R9 290X or GTX 970? I watched and read a lot of reviews, comparisons, videos and etc. in the last 2 months, but i still can't answer it. In different reviews and tests, there was different winner... maybe i am wrong but my impression is that with more powerful CPU, you are getting more fps with R9 290X at 1440p while with weaker CPU it seems that GTX 970 is ahead... at 1440p. But yet if i get discount, i plan to order 8 GB version of Sapphire... i mean better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. One way or another i will not change my GPU in the next 3-4 years.