Will the A10 7850k bottleneck the GTX 960(in most games)?

Stanturbo

I have an entry level APU build, and have been wanting to upgrade. I'm not a heavy gamer, so I just want a card that performs well with 1080p gaming. Since I have no preference for either AMD or Nvidia, I was thinking of buying the GTX 750ti (due to its low power consumption), but then came the 960. My question is, Will my A10 7850k I have bottleneck the 960 (in which case I'll go with the 750ti).

Nope. It's a capable CPU to drive a gtx 960.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I have an entry level APU build, and have been wanting to upgrade. I'm not a heavy gamer, so I just want a card that performs well with 1080p gaming. Since I have no preference for either AMD or Nvidia, I was thinking of buying the GTX 750ti (due to its low power consumption), but then came the 960. My question is, Will my A10 7850k I have bottleneck the 960 (in which case I'll go with the 750ti).

No, it should be fine.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Take a look for a r9 280 or 285. I dont know where your from but R9 290's are only $40 more here.Much better deal.

I have a 7850K and a 280 (pretty much a 960) and it bottlenecks in some games. If you can get a good OC around 4.4GHz it should be fine though. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

nope you should be fine :)

I have a 7850K and a 280 (pretty much a 960) and it bottlenecks in some games. If you can get a good OC around 4.4GHz it should be fine though.

I mainly play first person shooters (e.g., Battlefield 4 and Far Cry) and strategy games (Crusader Kings II), so I wanted to make sure I could at least play those.

I mainly play first person shooters (e.g., Battlefield 4 and Far Cry) and strategy games (Crusader Kings II), so I wanted to make sure I could at least play those.

You'll definitely be able to play them. However you might not get the most out of that card. Also I'd go with a 280 instead, they tend to be cheaper for around the same performance.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You will be able to, but I would personally recommend a 280(x) instead if they're the same price for the extra 50% vram and the 280x being flat out more powerful.

People say there's no use for the extra vram, but even in current games at ultra textures (SoM) we're seeing 2GB vram not being enough. In the future it'll likely get worse and if you ever wanted to upgrade to 1440p, buying another 960 wouldn't really be a viable option whereas buying another 280(x) would be. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Take a look for a r9 280 or 285. I dont know where your from but R9 290's are only $40 more here.Much better deal.

The thing is, I was planning on getting a 750ti, so the 960 is at my budget limit. However, if the AMD cards are far superior for price to performance, I might consider them.

(Just as a thought: Is there any point in waiting for the R9 300 series?)

(Just as a thought: Is there any point in waiting for the R9 300 series?)

With the low-mid end cards being so cheap, and the R9 300 series being hyped up for the high end performance, probably not.

It'll probably be 3-6 months + before we see the low-mid range cards anyways and even if the 300 series cards are significantly better price/performance than say a 280(x), your CPU probably won't be able to handle them to their full potential all the time anyways. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

With the low-mid end cards being so cheap, and the R9 300 series being hyped up for the high end performance, probably not.

It'll probably be 3-6 months + before we see the low-mid range cards anyways and even if the 300 series cards are significantly better price/performance than say a 280(x), your CPU probably won't be able to handle them to their full potential all the time anyways.

Be aware that the R9 200 series are power hungry bastards  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480