Nvidia or AMD?

Which one would be a better choice for future proofing a new build? An AMD 7000 series card, something like an 7950, or should I go with a newer and cheaper card like an GTX 760? Or pony up for an GTX 770 or wait for AMD to release the 8000 series desktop GPU's?

when buidling futureproof you should never get a "cheaper" card ... 

Save as much money as you can, an buy the best gpu you can get for your money ...

AMD vs NVIDIA is just going to lead nowhere. If you can manage to get 1000 euro, get a Titan, if you can get only 300 euro, get a 7950...

They both have good gpu's in a budget. 

Proud to be from Belgium.

Which one would be a better choice for future proofing a new build? An AMD 7000 series card, something like an 7950, or should I go with a newer and cheaper card like an GTX 760? Or pony up for an GTX 770 or wait for AMD to release the 8000 series desktop GPU's?

personally im leaning toward amd lately because of how many titles are optimized for amd but this is of course a matter of preference, i still use nvidia and probably will for a while because alot of next gen titles have txaa support which is nvidia exclusive (its my favorite form of aa assassins creed 3 is a great example) personally i would pony up for a 770 or get a 680 nice and cheap since they are VERY similar in performance (within 5-10fps depending on game and res) of course, the 770 is cheaper then a 7970 and will outperform it by about 10 fps and should smoke a 7950

Save up the money until you can't wait any longer for a gpu update, then at that point, look at all the cards & get the best card in your budget-range that suits your liking and needs.

It's totally up to you to say if you can't/can wait any longer...

you can't futureproof a GPU...but if it's any consolation 20nm process is suppossed to be only 20-25% better than 28nm...so next gen won't be a huge leap.

Just buy what you need now...7950 or 770 or 760 7870...it really not that importat...take the best deal.

That depends......... Both have same general tech. it depends on the card your using. you can't say "OH THIS ONE IS BEtTER" it all depends on the card :D Hope that helps!

~FRED

personally im leaning toward amd lately because of how many titles are optimized for amd but this is of course a matter of preference, i still use nvidia and probably will for a while because alot of next gen titles have txaa support which is nvidia exclusive (its my favorite form of aa assassins creed 3 is a great example) personally i would pony up for a 770 or get a 680 nice and cheap since they are VERY similar in performance (within 5-10fps depending on game and res) of course, the 770 is cheaper then a 7970 and will outperform it by about 10 fps and should smoke a 7950

a 770 is around 3 FPS better than a 7970 and cost more (atleast where i live)

a 770 is around 3 FPS better than a 7970 and cost more (atleast where i live)

where i live its almost $100 cheaper depending on the model of 7970 but side by side testing my 770 smoked the 7970 by atleast 10 fps in alot of games, though i have extremely low ambient temp so that is a factor for me

where i live its almost $100 cheaper depending on the model of 7970 but side by side testing my 770 smoked the 7970 by atleast 10 fps in alot of games, though i have extremely low ambient temp so that is a factor for me

In Belgium, the 7970 sells for about 350 euro (460 USD), the 770 for about 460 euro (600 USD)

For that 10 fps less I could buy a nice diner for my gf and myself ^^

http://youtu.be/CQAbBU43mpo?t=3m49s watch the whole video through the only title with a noticable difference is far cry 3 blood dragon

In Belgium, the 7970 sells for about 350 euro (460 USD), the 770 for about 460 euro (600 USD)

10 fps more like 2 fps

http://youtu.be/CQAbBU43mpo?t=3m49s watch the whole video through the only title with a noticable difference is far cry 3 blood dragon

i dont care what the video shows, im basing off me actually using both cards testing and recording my results... yeah in the video that may be the only titles that made a difference but in my testing it was a noticeable difference in most any title i played

Really that much difference ?? I live in The Netherlands but not much north of belgium and cheapest gtx770 comes in at 350 euro's

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

i dont care what the video shows, im basing off me actually using both cards testing and recording my results... yeah in the video that may be the only titles that made a difference but in my testing it was a noticeable difference in most any title i played

well ok but i trust linus media group a bit more than i trust you. and what where the fps in the different games?

Get ma 7950. It's a great bang for your buck card with great performance. Just upgrade as you need to. You end up spending less money in the long run.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think AMD saw this thread 

PC Spec/ Peripherals: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz (OC @ 3.8GHz) - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Heatsink - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 Motherboard - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB 240-Pin - Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 3GB - Western Digital 1TB HDD (Caviar Black) - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CoolerMaster Storm Scout Case - Razer Naga Gaming mouse - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard

well ok but i trust linus media group a bit more than i trust you. and what where the fps in the different games?

i get that you trust linus more and i dont blame you, being that im using a totally different test bed then he was im not overly surprised i have different results, bioshock infinite i had an average of around 85fps on the 770 and around 75 to 80 on the 7970, tomb raider i averaged around 90fps with tressfx off cause it annoys me lol on the 7970 jumped around from 80 to 90 so that one was alot closer, bf3 on the 770 averaged around 70ish with the 7970 hovering around 60fps and last one i tested was hitman absolution the 770 averaged around 60 with the 7970 averaging around 70, all tests were done with equal settings and resolution of 1920x1200

Edit: i should probably note that the 770 used was the msi gaming edition and the 7970 was a non ghz edition by xfx plus linus also stated that there was an issue with his 770 not boosting properly which could have influenced results

I Think that it depends on the usage of the usage of the video card ( video rendering, multi-monitor Amd ) 0 lag time & MMO gaming Nividia

Really that much difference ?? I live in The Netherlands but not much north of belgium and cheapest gtx770 comes in at 350 euro's

You should take a look at Alternate Belgium, the cheapest one is 400 euro, the most expensive is 460...

The one's I would trust (Asus, EVGA) with a decent cooler are about 450 euro...

off topic: Belgium is a shitty place to buy and build computers ... 

We only have Alternate & Komplett that are trustworthy ... There is also coolblue, which is okay if they have the parts you need. Or Pixmania, you buy something, and they just order you parts from another company, put a sticker over them and resell them for more money...

Bought a set of speakers @Pixmania, I got a box from Amazon.de with small Pixmania stickers over the amazon branding.

Save up the money until you can't wait any longer for a gpu update, then at that point, look at all the cards & get the best card in your budget-range that suits your liking and needs.

It's totally up to you to say if you can't/can wait any longer...

Your response was propably the best for this never ending argument. I'll wait, save up my money, look at the benchmarking results for upcoming cards and other stuff for them, maybe AMD manages to release 8000 series cards before BF4 (which i'm super excited btw) if not, I'll propably go with a GTX 770 or an never settle reloaded 7950, it depends, like I said, I'll wait and see :D

330$ seems to be the sweet spot at the moment after the fresh price cuts on the 7970, for 70$ less you get a card that is neck & neck with the GTX 770, has more memory, comes with free games is automatically optimized for future console ports because all next gen consoles are running on AMD Radeon graphics.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

I would say for 330$ the 7970 is unbeatable especially when you consider overclocking, where it matches the 780 even in Nvidia optimized titles.
bf3_1920_1200.gif

7970 @ 1265 Core & 1735 memory
perf_oc.gif

I'd pick a 7950 up over a 760 (because the 7950 will perform better overclocked and it comes with a bunch of awesome titles), but if you're willing to save 780 really is the card for future proofing(not being totally obsolete by next gen). As for AMD vs. Nvidia Linus' made a video about it:

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.