Note taking tablet

79wjd

so I asked a few months back but didn't really get anywhere and I could really use a good note taking tablet for math.

In the past I was considering a galaxy note 8.0, although I can't say I'm fond of samsungs UI. I was also recommended the tears note, but it was too expensive at the time.

I will be taking two types of notes:

1) taking notes on a blank piece of paper like a normal notebook.

2) commenting/annotating a pdf.

I'd prefer to keep it as cheap as possible, and I think the Galaxy note is still my first choice due to a digitizer and palm recognition.

Thoughts?

NOTE: I will be handwriting notes only.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Galaxy Note 10.1

Its the best tablet to write on with

There is also the nividia shield tablet that comes with a stylus

Galaxy note + custom rom

Has there been any news about a possible note 8 (2)? -- something that would drive down note 8 prices?

Also what would be some good software for annotating a pdf (and then saving them all in the same place for easy access to any of them).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Galaxy Note 10.1

Its the best tablet to write on with

There is also the nividia shield tablet that comes with a stylus

I'd prefer something smaller than 10", hence why I was/still am leaning towards a note 8.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Has there been any news about a possible note 8 (2)? -- something that would drive down note 8 prices?

Also what would be some good software for annotating a pdf (and then saving them all in the same place for easy access to any of them).

Not that I can find

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote.skitch ?

Steve

Actually Snote apparently can import a PDF for annotating, so that could work fine. 

And I can get a refurbished Note 8.0 for $160 off Newegg, so that might be it. Unless theres something better with palm recognition out/on the horizon. But since I won't likely use it for anything other than note-taking/internet the aged specs shouldn't be any issue so the only reason I'd wait for something else would be price drops.

Any idea if the Note 8" support side-by-side apps? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Actually Snote apparently can import a PDF for annotating, so that could work fine. 

And I can get a refurbished Note 8.0 for $160 off Newegg, so that might be it. Unless theres something better with palm recognition out/on the horizon. But since I won't likely use it for anything other than note-taking/internet the aged specs shouldn't be any issue so the only reason I'd wait for something else would be price drops.

Any idea if the Note 8" support side-by-side apps?

its actually got really good specs.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2243103 + http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8-0/orig-development/rom-blisspop-v1-7-team-bliss-t3006276 = POWER

Steve

Isn't the new Tab / Note 4 supposed to be quite a bit faster? (not that it matters for me). 

That Note 8 maxes out at Kit Kat right? (assuming I don't root) 

I guess it's just a question of whether or not it's worth $160 to....I guess it makes sense since my math class alone will probably cost me the same amount in ink and paper for everything that I need to print out. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Isn't the new Tab / Note 4 supposed to be quite a bit faster? (not that it matters for me). 

That Note 8 maxes out at Kit Kat right? (assuming I don't root) 

I guess it's just a question of whether or not it's worth $160 to....I guess it makes sense since my math class alone will probably cost me the same amount in ink and paper for everything that I need to print out.

Probably

Dunno

Why not just get a tab 2 7", bit slower but then quite a bit cheaper

Steve

Probably

Dunno

Why not just get a tab 2 7", bit slower but then quite a bit cheaper

Because I need something with an digitizer/palm recognition. I have a tendancy to rest my hand on my notebook when I take notes, so the same would (presumably) be true with a tablet. Plus, SNote is probably very handy. 

Also a refurbished tab 2 would still run like $120~. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Because I need something with an digitizer/palm recognition. I have a tendancy to rest my hand on my notebook when I take notes, so the same would (presumably) be true with a tablet. Plus, SNote is probably very handy. 

Also a refurbished tab 2 would still run like $120~.

Oh, I'd just go for the Note then

Steve

Hmm, you can try iPad Air with Adonit Jot Touch Pro Stylus and GoodNote (Paid) App.

Yes, with Adonit Jot Touch Pro Stylus and GoodNote (Paid) App. You can get a palm rejection, however, being a third party. You will be at mercy of the developer to make sure both the stylus and app are compatible with each other.

I have took notes with iPad Air for at least three months, and I have to say. It is pretty good.

Of course, there are few bugs here and there, but it isn't a game changing.

Yes, I have used Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32GB tablet before.

It isn't a bad tablet and a pretty good note taking, but I find it that S-Notes lacked a lot of templates compare to GoodNote on iOS (exclusive I believe). Holy crap, GoodNote have shitload of templates: wide ruled, college ruled, graph, one column (has an empty space going down to the middle), etc. :P

For me, I just hate it when using portrait for Note 10 because it feels awkward IMO and you have a tendency to press the damn Menu button that keep opening S-Finder up or press and hold the Home button to access Menu screen, but it register as double click and open up S-Voice. It makes me mad.

Again, it doesn't make it a bad tablet. :P

Hmm, you can try iPad Air with Adonit Jot Touch Pro Stylus and GoodNote (Paid) App.

Yes, with Adonit Jot Touch Pro Stylus and GoodNote (Paid) App. You can get a palm rejection, however, being a third party. You will be at mercy of the developer to make sure both the stylus and app are compatible with each other.

I have took notes with iPad Air for at least three months, and I have to say. It is pretty good.

Of course, there are few bugs here and there, but it isn't a game changing.

Yes, I have used Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32GB tablet before.

It isn't a bad tablet and a pretty good note taking, but I find it that S-Notes lacked a lot of templates compare to GoodNote on iOS (exclusive I believe). Holy crap, GoodNote have shitload of templates: wide ruled, college ruled, graph, one column (has an empty space going down to the middle), etc. :P

For me, I just hate it when using portrait for Note 10 because it feels awkward IMO and you have a tendency to press the damn Menu button that keep opening S-Finder up or press and hold the Home button to access Menu screen, but it register as double click and open up S-Voice. It makes me mad.

Again, it doesn't make it a bad tablet. :P

Yeah, the adonit jot was actually what I was thinking about before the Note a year ago, but meh, idk. 

I think I'll just get the Note 8 and stop thinking about it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, the adonit jot was actually what I was thinking about before the Note a year ago, but meh, idk. 

I think I'll just get the Note 8 and stop thinking about it. 

I would too, but I don't like the resolution. 1280x800. Sorry, it just look pathetic IMO. :P

I did hear HP is making an Android tablet with a stylus support, but it is a "smart pen/stylus" where you can write any surface and it will send it to the tablet.

Have you tried Windows side?

I am pretty sure you can find some...

I would too, but I don't like the resolution. 1280x800. Sorry, it just look pathetic IMO. :P

I did hear HP is making an Android tablet with a stylus support, but it is a "smart pen/stylus" where you can write any surface and it will send it to the tablet.

Have you tried Windows side?

I am pretty sure you can find some...

yeah, I can't say im thrilled with the 1200x800, but it will be pretty much solely for note taking as I won't likely use it for much else. 

And HPs at the tablet market again....well, I wish them better luck than their last attempt. 

Most of the windows tablets are more expensive (by quite a bit) iirc. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

yeah, I can't say im thrilled with the 1200x800, but it will be pretty much solely for note taking as I won't likely use it for much else. 

And HPs at the tablet market again....well, I wish them better luck than their last attempt. 

Most of the windows tablets are more expensive (by quite a bit) iirc. 

If only Samsung would announce their Tab, Tab S and Note tablet lineup at CES 2015, sadly, they decide to do it probably this Spring, Summer or possibly Fall.

There is Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-36984SU-11-6-Inch-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B009TLA7P4/?&tag=businessnewsdaily-20

Around $300 dollarish for 64GB, although, 1366x768 res is a bit lame, at least it is better than 1280x800 on Note 8.

If 10" is too big, there is ASUS VivoTab Note 8.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHQKWG/?&tag=businessnewsdaily-20

Well, it is a same res as Note 8. Darn.

Dell Venue 8 Pro is pretty good. Sadly, it uses Synaptic technology for their stylus, and I did read that it isn't that good. I did heard about their new stylus, but I am not sure if it has improved or not.

-sigh- Companies really need to make note taking tablet rather more and more tablet that doesn't differentiate itself from smartphone except bigger screen and specs. 

If only Samsung would announce their Tab, Tab S and Note tablet lineup at CES 2015, sadly, they decide to do it probably this Spring, Summer or possibly Fall.

There is Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-36984SU-11-6-Inch-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B009TLA7P4/?&tag=businessnewsdaily-20

Around $300 dollarish for 64GB, although, 1366x768 res is a bit lame, at least it is better than 1280x800 on Note 8.

If 10" is too big, there is ASUS VivoTab Note 8.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHQKWG/?&tag=businessnewsdaily-20

Well, it is a same res as Note 8. Darn.

Dell Venue 8 Pro is pretty good. Sadly, it uses Synaptic technology for their stylus, and I did read that it isn't that good. I did heard about their new stylus, but I am not sure if it has improved or not.

-sigh- Companies really need to make note taking tablet rather more and more tablet that doesn't differentiate itself from smartphone except bigger screen and specs. 

Theres a lot of things companies need to do. Most companies seriously need to streamline their product line ups. Laptop companies need to get rid of the whole: "Pick a laptop, okay, now pick a tier, okay, now pick...." I swear, the last time I looked up laptops for a friend I went to check out Asus and I saw about 50+ laptops and no decent way to narrow it down and just recommended a Lenovo laptop instead.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Theres a lot of things companies need to do. Most companies seriously need to streamline their product line ups. Laptop companies need to get rid of the whole: "Pick a laptop, okay, now pick a tier, okay, now pick...." I swear, the last time I looked up laptops for a friend I went to check out Asus and I saw about 50+ laptops and no decent way to narrow it down and just recommended a Lenovo laptop instead.

Maybe have a tablet that run Ubuntu OS and can use Ubuntu Desktop Programs?

If they could do that, it would be awesome! :P

I mean, I was expecting Nokia N1 to have Ubuntu OS. If Nokia comes back with their tablet that is running Ubuntu OS, it might take off as a mainstream and also have active digitizer with palm rejection.

After all, I believe you can access Android Apps on Ubuntu because it came from a similar OS.

As for note taking tablet. It is up to you. :P

I would go for the Note 8 but again screen res is what is horrible.

For me, I would still root for iPad Mini or Air with Adonit Jot Touch Pro stylus. :P

iPad does pretty good with its battery life IMO.

I am just concern whether or not Note 8 has decent battery to last you the whole school.

I am just concern whether or not Note 8 has decent battery to last you the whole school.

I have 2-6 hours of class a day, and I only really need it for math and CS. Everything else I either don't take notes in or will use my computer. 

And while I like the ipad mini, I think it's a bit too small for notes and I can't get an iPad + stylus + note taking apps for $160 :P 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

iPad does pretty good with its battery life IMO.

The battery life is pretty bad-- worse than I was expecting (not that I actually looked or really cared).

The screen does get covered in fingerprints way too easily though.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The battery life is pretty bad-- worse than I was expecting (not that I actually looked or really cared).

The screen does get covered in fingerprints way too easily though.

Now what? Keeping Note 8 if you actually bought it or go for iPad?

Now what? Keeping Note 8 if you actually bought it or go for iPad?

I'm gonna keep it; the battery life isnt really an issue for me as i dont really see any use in a tablet (other than for note taking) I'm just surprised the battery life is as bad as it is. 

And I guess I'll just find a screen protector or something that resists fingerprints. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm gonna keep it; the battery life isnt really an issue for me as i dont really see any use in a tablet (other than for note taking) I'm just surprised the battery life is as bad as it is. 

And I guess I'll just find a screen protector or something that resists fingerprints.

I think Matte Anti-Glare one can handle the fingerprint.

I think Matte Anti-Glare one can handle the fingerprint.

I was thinking something along the same lines; just not sure what would be a good screen protector. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler