Weird whining noise coming from pc

destroyer8769

Ok so I noticed today my computer is making a bad whining noise, and I am worried, does anyone know what it could be.

Any help would be much appreciated

Most probably either a fan or hdd. Does it happen constantly or sometimes?

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Ok so I noticed today my computer is making a bad whining noise, and I am worried, does anyone know what it could be.

Any help would be much appreciated

Coil whine graphics card

Open the case, get your head in there and try to identify the source  :D

If you still can't hear from where is coming, start turning off your fans 1 by 1, just don't turn off the cpu fan.

No need to worry, worse that can happen is a dead fan or HD.

Open the case, get your head in there and try to identify the source  :D

If you still can't hear from where is coming, start turning off your fans 1 by 1, just don't turn off the cpu fan.

No need to worry, worse that can happen is a dead fan or HD.

I'm pretty sure its not the fans as it doesn't happen at bootup, only while running insurgent as i haven't noticed it in any other game, including minecraft where i get 500+ fps so I doubt its coil whine.

I'm theorizing the case panel may have been loose as it hasn't been happening with the panel off, I will get back you you guys if it happens again, thanks for the help!

Maybe your PSU, Mine did the same when under heavy load, Maybe you need more watts bruh (Could just be an old psu)

its only a year old, 750 watt for a 770 and an i5 4670, 16g ram, z87, 1 tb wd blue

ok narrowed it down to either the cpu fan, rear fan or top fan, but im fairly sure its the cpu fan, it annoys me as it only happens sometimes so im not able to get a good listen.

and at 300 fps on the cs source stress test, the sound doesnt happen, this is so confusing. im stumped

Its a stock fan, right? They are mostly bad, you can bet it will be the first thing in a pc to go bad... If you want to make sure, just unplug the other fans or turn them off in the bios, and run a cpu stress test to see if the cpu fan will start making the noise.

and at 300 fps on the cs source stress test, the sound doesnt happen, this is so confusing. im stumped

The cs test is mostly for graphic cards, it wont put much "stress" on your cpu

ok, its just that the software doesn't pickup the chassis fan due to the nzxt controller, but ill go hunting to unplug them, (i didnt build this pc, but recently built a pc with my friend so now i know where to look) thanks for the support @vladdo88 i know im annoying

any reccomended benchmarks for free?

Intel cpu? Use "Intel extreme tuning utility."

If you have controller no need to unplug them, just set them to min rpm.

there's a simple, easy, almost free way to tell where a noise is coming from in your computer.

Grab a peice of A4 paper, roll it up till it's got a diameter about the size of a 20 cent piece/quarter.

Stick one end against your ear, and move the other end around in your case.

Where it sounds loudest is probably where the noise is coming from.,

with no case fans on and just the cpu fan with 1 minute of testing, it was silent @ 60C, and re running with case fans it was also ... silent, so i think its a case fan bearing or something, does anyone think that?

this is really annoying me as its so inconsistent, but oh well, ill keep digging (ubisoft he he)

this is really annoying me as its so inconsistent, but oh well, ill keep digging (ubisoft he he)

spin them all up to max, then go looking. if it isn't case fans, your other option is internal. (cpus heat sink, GPU, or AIO) delete as appropriate,

spin them all up to max, then go looking. if it isn't case fans, your other option is internal. (cpus heat sink, GPU, or AIO) delete as appropriate,

there are all on highest on the fan controller on the case, but its stopped now, and tomorrow when i game again, ill keep an ear out incase it starts up again.