Need a £3500 System for Editing R3D Files in Premier CC

Olivertheguy

Hi, I maybe getting the chance to shoot a film on a Red One MX. It shoots 4K on Red R3D files. I will be editing in Adobe CC, with color grading done in Davinci Resolved in 4K. Needs to be able to edit the files natively so no proxies or any of that stuff.  The whole project will be about an hour on a single timeline. I did a estimate on project size for all the raw footage will be around 1-2TB, so do I need an SSD, RAID array or will a HDD do?

So I want to know what is recommended. 5960x? Dual Xeons? I also have a Red Rocket Card that I can use, so maybe CPU power can be cut down a bit.

Thanks

Aim high, hit low. - Oliver Guy (Me)

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Hi, I maybe getting the chance to shoot a film on a Red One MX. It shoots 4K on Red R3D files. I will be editing in Adobe CC, with color grading done in Davinci Resolved in 4K. Needs to be able to edit the files natively so no proxies or any of that stuff.  The whole project will be about an hour on a single timeline. I did a estimate on project size for all the raw footage will be around 1-2TB, so do I need an SSD, RAID array or will a HDD do?

So I want to know what is recommended. 5960x? Dual Xeons? I also have a Red Rocket Card that I can use, so maybe CPU power can be cut down a bit.

Thanks

This should do the job:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£815.94 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£79.50 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£247.19 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£805.73 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Plextor M6e 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£329.41 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£149.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  (£429.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  (£113.53 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  (£37.85 @ Ebuyer) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.35 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £3486.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-20 18:49 GMT+0000

If you are not going to overclock whatsoever I would reccomend a multi-core xeon over the 5960X. But at 4.5~4.8 GHZ ( Which is easily achievable ) It should slay pretty much any xeon. 

Since this isn't a gaming system I didn't go with flashy components, components that last and make no errors are far more importnant of course.

The extra SSD is for a Hybrid array: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_array , Basically you use one SSD to quicken up the whole storage arrays of HDD's which should greatly improve loading times and responsiveness. It's pretty easily configurable in the BIOS/UEFI/Asus Suit ( Consult the manual for more info.)

The M.2 drive is expensive however it is blazingly quick as it uses PCI interface instead of the (''Old'') and bottlenecked SATA600

And I assume you want to have a bit of fun after the hard work :P That's why I opted for GTX 980's instead of Firepro/Quadro , you can get a workstation card but for video editing it doesn't make a justifiable enough difference to lose out on all that gaming fun IMO :P

Storage: I would put them in raid 5 and use the crucial SSD to speed the array up.

Actually samsung has released a new M.2 drive the Samsung XP 941 , I couldn't find it in PCPARTPCIKER but that one is a winner!

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-xp941-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/

Interested in Business and Technology

i7-5820k

16-64gb of RAM

1-4 GTX 980

Enable CUDA in Premier CC

Cheap, Fast, will do what you want

People seem to forget that ANYTHING that involved graphics in ANY WAY can be sped up Massively using CUDA rendering -.-

Character artist in the Games industry.

For davinci resolve i'd get a GTX TITAN (lots of VRAM and actually recommended by blackmagic). Afaik Adobe CC supports GPU acceleration so the TITAN will help you out there aswell.

As far as CPU goes i think the 5960X will suffice because Adobe premiere cant use more than 24 threads efficiently.

For purely video editing it makes little sense to go above 32GB of ram - read somwhere that you dont need more than 2GB per core.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Thanks for all the replies!  :)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

This should do the job:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£815.94 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£79.50 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£247.19 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£805.73 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Plextor M6e 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£329.41 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£149.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  (£429.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  (£113.53 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  (£37.85 @ Ebuyer) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.35 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £3486.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-20 18:49 GMT+0000

If you are not going to overclock whatsoever I would reccomend a multi-core xeon over the 5960X. But at 4.5~4.8 GHZ ( Which is easily achievable ) It should slay pretty much any xeon. 

Since this isn't a gaming system I didn't go with flashy components, components that last and make no errors are far more importnant of course.

The extra SSD is for a Hybrid array: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_array , Basically you use one SSD to quicken up the whole storage arrays of HDD's which should greatly improve loading times and responsiveness. It's pretty easily configurable in the BIOS/UEFI/Asus Suit ( Consult the manual for more info.)

The M.2 drive is expensive however it is blazingly quick as it uses PCI interface instead of the (''Old'') and bottlenecked SATA600

And I assume you want to have a bit of fun after the hard work :P That's why I opted for GTX 980's instead of Firepro/Quadro , you can get a workstation card but for video editing it doesn't make a justifiable enough difference to lose out on all that gaming fun IMO :P

Storage: I would put them in raid 5 and use the crucial SSD to speed the array up.

Actually samsung has released a new M.2 drive the Samsung XP 941 , I couldn't find it in PCPARTPCIKER but that one is a winner!

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-xp941-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/

Thanks, think I will ditch the dvd drive, and go with a Corsair H105 AIO for the cooler and RM1000 PSU, just because I've always used corsair and they have never let me down and I think a Fractal Design Define XL or R5 for the case as I just love the aesthetics of them.  :)

Just a quick question the 3Tb drives are in a RAID with the SSD as a sort of cache type thing, but what RAID? 5? 6? 10? I guess 10 since there is no dedicated card?

@Pixxie_Payne @SSOB Please don't recommend GTX 980 for a workstation... thats nonsensical. And pixxie if you pair a 6 core cpu with four(?) GPUs in adobe premiere pro its not really gonna help a whole lot.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Thanks, think I will ditch the dvd drive, and go with a Corsair H105 AIO for the cooler and RM1000 PSU, just because I've always used corsair and they have never let me down and I think a Fractal Design Define XL or R5 for the case as I just love the aesthetics of them.  :)

Just a quick question the 3Tb drives are in a RAID with the SSD as a sort of cache type thing, but what RAID? 5? 6? 10? I guess 10 since there is no dedicated card?

Please dont get a GTX 980 :/ And get the X99-E WS board or better yet the AsROck X99 WS with ECC ram.

@Pixxie_Payne @SSOB Please don't recommend GTX 980 for a workstation... thats nonsensical. And pixxie if you pair a 6 core cpu with four(?) GPUs in adobe premiere pro its not really gonna help a whole lot.

really...

if you want to tweak it, just switch the 980's for 2xTitan blacks, Same cost and just as effective

Please dont get a GTX 980 :/ And get the X99-E WS board or better yet the AsROck X99 WS with ECC ram.

Getting the Asus x99 Deluxe or the Rampage V Extreme will be just as viable.

but i DO NOT recommend getting the i7-5960x on any system unless you are trying to show off, for the cost you might aswell go a little further and get a Xeon E502640 v3

but i DO NOT recommend getting the i7-5960x on any system unless you are trying to show off, for the cost you might aswell go a little further and get a Xeon E502640 v3

This is workstation not a gaming rig, getting the 5690X with its two additional cores will make a significant difference.

This is workstation not a gaming rig, getting the 5690X with its two additional cores will make a significant difference.

not in Adobe or 3D graphics software.

CUDA acceleration offloads all the work from the CPU on to the GPU.

its more logical stepping down the CPU to a i7-5930/5820k and using the money difference on a higher end or more GPU's... its a more bang for your buck situation

Well lets just agree to disagree then :) Premiere Pro cant use CUDA for encoding and decoding. CUDA only accelerates certain things like deinterlacing or scaling aswell as some effects. The Nvidia tests are based on a video filled with effects that take advantage of CUDA hence the 'insane gainz' compared to cpu only but since op probably isnt reading anymore anyway this whole discussion is kinda pointless lol

Well lets just agree to disagree then :) Premiere Pro cant use CUDA for encoding and decoding. CUDA only accelerates certain things like deinterlacing or scaling aswell as some effects. The Nvidia tests are based on a video filled with effects that take advantage of CUDA hence the 'insane gainz' compared to cpu only but since op probably isnt reading anymore anyway this whole discussion is kinda pointless lol

Faster workflow is better then Faster final renders tbh.. its better to get instant feedback when working with any form of visual graphics

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Quadro and FirePro cards are not for video editing but for CAD and Compute applications, OP is not doing any of these things to therefore is not an option that justifies the extra cost it brings.

The Coolermaster cooler is quieter and delivers the same amount of performance. The PSU change is fine, RM and V series are pretty much on par. And the Define R5 is a great option but i would rather have the phatecs case because of the features and looks, IMO they deliver better bang for the buck.

To anwser the question. Basically I would do this:

1. put the drives into Raid 5 ( If you want Raid 6, this will ensure that up to two drives can fail, with raid 5 only one can fail.)

2. Enable SSD caching ( Use the MX drive, the M.2 Samsung is for the OS!)

3. Enjoy fast and responsive storage.

As for the whole cuda thing, Yes it's true, the more cuda cores the better the apps are gong to run, however, when doing any other application than video editing, the 5960X and GTX980 ( Or 970 SLI, this is a nice option too!) will be a lot better. Besides the 5820K can only run two way SLI and not even at full bandwitch ( Doesn't really matter but still) you'll at least have to upgrade to an 5930K but then OP can't spend enough on the rest of the system, 5960X has two extra cores  (4 extra threads!) that'll benefit greatly from the software OP is going to use. 

@Pixxie_Payne

Btw. Where have you been all the time :P

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Quadro and FirePro cards are not for video editing but for CAD and Compute applications, OP is not doing any of these things to therefore is not an option that justifies the extra cost it brings.

Oh do i now? I suggested a Titan not a Quadro / Firepro. And the Titan will benefit him more in Adobe Premiere due to the 6GB VRAM compared to the GTX 980 because he said hes working with 4K.

Oh do i now? I suggested a Titan not a Quadro / Firepro. And the Titan will benefit him more in Adobe Premiere due to the 6GB VRAM compared to the GTX 980 because he said hes working with 4K.

Benchmarks? 

wow... i give up on this thread... you are genuinely disregarding someone who works in the industry and knows what they are talking about 

Get a Superflower Leadex Gold/Platinum or EVGA Supernova G2/P2 psu rather than a Corsair RM. They are far better power supplies.