Using AI Suite III to overclock

so i want to build a new haswell system very soon and i like to plan ahead, im very amateur at overclocking but i plan to buy a 4770k and would like to hit 4.6ghz ish..

Has anybody here used the 4way optimization in the ASUS AI Suite III to overclock their system rather than doing it in the UEFI? and what kind have results have you achieved?(Including your CPU frequency/voltage/memory freq would be nice) and how did you find your overall experience with the utility?

Just to be clear im not asking for advise on how to do the overclock, just wanting to know about your experience doing it this way. =)

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

This will help ya

I tried this, but preferred BIOS method in the end. I do however use Fan Xpert 2 because it's awesome.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

thanks, i have watched these guides already, altough it just seems to me that perhaps using this utility it would be less time consuming?

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

thanks, i have watched these guides already, altough it just seems to me that perhaps using this utility it would be less time consuming?

Yeah and the auto oc will prolly work fine.

Using the bios and knowing everything you can about your system will help you get much better results. It does take a ton of time but it's all worth it if you enjoy it.

Yeah and the auto oc will prolly work fine.

Using the bios and knowing everything you can about your system will help you get much better results. It does take a ton of time but it's all worth it if you enjoy it.

i agree, but sometimes i just want things to work lol, im not willing to spend hours trying to squeeze an extra 100mhz outta an overclock if you know what i mean!

i agree, but sometimes i just want things to work lol, im not willing to spend hours trying to squeeze an extra 100mhz outta an overclock if you know what i mean!

I think all of the (mid range) boards this gen have magic auto oc, So... Figure out what features you want (extra Sata ports, Intel lan, wifi, Thunderbolt, Xfire/Sli support) and just go for the cheapest.

What have you been looking at?

I think all of the (mid range) boards this gen have magic auto oc, So... Figure out what features you want (extra Sata ports, Intel lan, wifi, Thunderbolt, Xfire/Sli support) and just go for the cheapest.

What have you been looking at?

ive always been a gigabyte mobo fanboy but i dont like there colors in the latest gens, for my next build i plan to go for a black/red color scheme i think. i really like the sabertooth board for the main reason of reliability but also looking at the maximus VI Hero and also the MSI GD65

ive always been a gigabyte mobo fanboy but i dont like there colors in the latest gens, for my next build i plan to go for a black/red color scheme i think. i really like the sabertooth board for the main reason of reliability but also looking at the maximus VI Hero and also the MSI GD65

Erm.. Sorry, that thermal armor doesn't really make the sabertooth more reliable. The tiny fans will be annoying. You will have over payed for what you really got.

If that sabertooth board wasn't rated for 150c, there's no way they could of smothered it with plastic. The whole thing is a gimmick but if you like it because 'idk what all that stuff is, i don't want to see it' then buy it.

The Hero actually looks alright but... Not the best deal. No voltage read points, no legacy pci, no wireless, no rear io DVI, DP or thunderbolt. Lacks the features of most other boards.... Well, it does have Asus' software, which is nice imo...

Why buy a GD65!? The z87 UD4H is so much more board for the same price..

Kind of a rant.. soz.

The one I posted has everything you need to know. JJ literally goes through every step and you can follow along at the same time.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Erm.. Sorry, that thermal armor doesn't really make the sabertooth more reliable. The tiny fans will be annoying. You will have over payed for what you really got.

If that sabertooth board wasn't rated for 150c, there's no way they could of smothered it with plastic. The whole thing is a gimmick but if you like it because 'idk what all that stuff is, i don't want to see it' then buy it.

The Hero actually looks alright but... Not the best deal. No voltage read points, no legacy pci, no wireless, no rear io DVI, DP or thunderbolt. Lacks the features of most other boards.... Well, it does have Asus' software, which is nice imo...

Why buy a GD65!? The z87 UD4H is so much more board for the same price..

Kind of a rant.. soz.

to be honest i haven't done much research on which board i want yet but you make some very valid points, and i hadn't come across that gb board before, i must say it looks really nice, and seems to have all the features i need so i very well may consider it. thanks

The one I posted has everything you need to know. JJ literally goes through every step and you can follow along at the same time.

yea actually this is what i planned to do when i build my new system, i just wanted to see if anybody had done it this way, and find out how they found it compared to doing it via the UEFI. =)

yea actually this is what i planned to do when i build my new system, i just wanted to see if anybody had done it this way, and find out how they found it compared to doing it via the UEFI. =)

It got my 4670K to 47 on two cores and 48 on the other two using "Extreme Tuning", but at 1.4 volts. I didn't want the voltage that high.

I also tried "Fast Tuning" and it gave me a much lower voltage, but the overclock wasn't as high as I was aiming for; it was only about 4.2.

So I did it manually in the BIOS and got 4.6 at 1.27. I'm 100% satisfied with that.

It got my 4670K to 47 on two cores and 48 on the other two using "Extreme Tuning", but at 1.4 volts. I didn't want the voltage that high.

I also tried "Fast Tuning" and it gave me a much lower voltage, but the overclock wasn't as high as I was aiming for; it was only about 4.2.

So I did it manually in the BIOS and got 4.6 at 1.27. I'm 100% satisfied with that.

oh wow thats a big difference, nice!

I would just use AI Suite 3 as a reference overclock and after it finishes its automatic overclocking play with the voltages to get the lowest stable voltage in order to get better temps. I would test stability with AIDA64.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You can't use AI Suite 3 for permanent overclock, it will revert to bios settings at restart. Anyway you follow for OC, it will take the same time, you still have to stress test, to make sure it's reliable. If you are not willing to do that, OC is not for you, sir.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I use AI suite II and find its safe and easy, you put it into auto tunning and try selecting the fast setting (not extreeme) and see if you like it, then go to extreeme if you want.

Personally i like to keep things cool and quiet and not to push the components. stock ghz for my FX6300 is 3.5ghz with the Asus AI suite II at "Fast" setting it sets the cpu to 3.7ghz, and i am happy with it.

got to love Asus components