Looking to build file server for business

zparsons

I am needing to build a file server for work where 5 of us can access CAD files stored on the server from each of our own work stations. Currently we have been using a Seagate NAS 110 which only has one hard drive and is a little slow to access from our workstations. The problem with this is when the single hard drive in the NAS fails, we lose the data so I need something that will be easy to use/maintain and with RAID 1 or 5 (I am not sure which). I am hoping to spend under $400. Does this need a lot of cpu power? A lot of RAM? I have been looking at freeNAS, but am not sure if this is what I need. Can anyone recommend the components needed for this build? Thanks for any input!

I'm using FreeNAS.

Depending on what type of file system you want to use (UFS vs ZFS), you will need different specs.

ZFS requires a minimum of 8GB of RAM. The rule of thumb is 1GB of RAM for every 1TB of storage you use.

ECC (Error Correction Code) RAM is preferred. Many older AMD platforms can utilize it. It costs a little ($10 or so) more than normal RAM.

UFS requires a minimum of 2GB of RAM. It doesn't matter much beyond that.

A dual core processor at 1.5-2.5GHz will be able to handle FreeNAS' capabilities fully. Any more is overkill.

You'll want a motherboard with many SATA ports, obviously. You won't need a RAID card, that's what FreeNAS does and it's the best software RAID you can get imo.

The ZFS option is preferred. It has many more options than UFS and such. Particularly the type of RAID it uses and the encryption is has available to it.

If you have any more questions, or want me to set up a possible build for it, let me know.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm using FreeNAS.

Depending on what type of file system you want to use (UFS vs ZFS), you will need different specs.

ZFS requires a minimum of 8GB of RAM. The rule of thumb is 1GB of RAM for every 1TB of storage you use.

ECC (Error Correction Code) RAM is preferred. Many older AMD platforms can utilize it. It costs a little ($10 or so) more than normal RAM.

UFS requires a minimum of 2GB of RAM. It doesn't matter much beyond that.

A dual core processor at 1.5-2.5GHz will be able to handle FreeNAS' capabilities fully. Any more is overkill.

You'll want a motherboard with many SATA ports, obviously. You won't need a RAID card, that's what FreeNAS does and it's the best software RAID you can get imo.

The ZFS option is preferred. It has many more options than UFS and such. Particularly the type of RAID it uses and the encryption is has available to it.

If you have any more questions, or want me to set up a possible build for it, let me know.

Does FreeNAS work with macs as well? Do you need a specific file system to have it compatible to back up a mac? Also, would it be possible to partition a FreeNAS system into one for backup, and one for external storage. Sorry if those are really basic questions, but I might want to build a FreeNAS system. 

Does FreeNAS work with macs as well? Do you need a specific file system to have it compatible to back up a mac? Also, would it be possible to partition a FreeNAS system into one for backup, and one for external storage. Sorry if those are really basic questions, but I might want to build a FreeNAS system.

It's fine.

FreeNAS' is built with compatibility for Linux, Macs, and Windows. You just have to set each one up separately. But the file system doesn't mean anything for what OS you use. FreeNAS talks to each OS using protocols that make the file system used by FreeNAS irrelevant. It goes beyond just treating FreeNAS as "external storage". It's truly a file server. It handles it's stuff and the communication between it and other computers.

Lifehacker has an article explaining how to do the basics of how to set up sharing between windows, which mac and linux would be very similar, I believe.

They also cover streaming video, music, and photos, though that's not what you want it for, it can do it. Not by default though, you have to install some plugins (very easy).

It's worked for me pretty spectacularly.

"for backup... for external storage" Honestly, the way it works, you could have both.

You can't partition hard drives, but having 2 hard drives will let you use each separately for different things but the only "difference" would be a name. One named "backup" and one named "storage". They'd both, functionally, be the same.

ZFS allows you to use the FreeNAS RAID. Raidz. It's basically RAID 1/5/ or 6 (depending on the number of drives and type you choose). There are 3 types. 1, 2, and 3 (appended to the end of Raidz, as such: Raidz1).

1 is just RAID1, I believe. 2 is essentially RAID5, and 3 is RAID 6.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't really know much about UFS or ZFS, but from what I have read I think ZFS is the one that I want. If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you could set up a possible build. If 5 of us are accessing the file server at once will we notice any slow speeds?

I don't really know much about UFS or ZFS, but from what I have read I think ZFS is the one that I want. If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you could set up a possible build. If 5 of us are accessing the file server at once will we notice any slow speeds?

That entirely depends on two things:

1. How much bandwidth would accessing the server require from each of you? 

2. How many drives do you intend to put in the server?

Simply put, you cannot exceed 125 MB/s, because, unless you are like Linus and have 10 Gb/s networking, you will be limited to 1 Gb/s which is 125MB/s as that's the maximum most ports can handle on routers/switches.

If there are any switches/routers between you and the server that drop to 100 Mb/s, then that will make the maximum you can get 12.5 MB/s.

Depending on the files you will be transferring and their sizes, that can be a bottleneck.

ZFS is likely the one you want. That means you need 8 GB of RAM and it needs to be ECC.

How much space do you think you will need? That's the last thing I need to know to do a build.

† Christian Member †

We really will not be transferring large files at one time so I guess that will not be a problem then. At this time 3 TB of storage will be plenty. What RAID configuration will I want to ensure no problems with data loss?

We really will not be transferring large files at one time so I guess that will not be a problem then. At this time 3 TB of storage will be plenty. What RAID configuration will I want to ensure no problems with data loss?

Well, if 5 of you are accessing it at once, a single drive would be slow as a single drive having to access 5 different files in 5 different spots on the HDD will slow it down.

If you want 3 TB of storage, you should likely get 4x1TB drives, using RAID 5. That will mean you can lose 1 drive and the RAID can be rebuilt later by replacing the drive that went bad.

Here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($70.38 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CT 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($27.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $518.28

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-24 15:08 EDT-0400)

The total price is $514. That's the best I can do while still having ECC memory supported and 3TB of Hard Drive storage space with redundancy.

I can't find a cheaper AMD motherboard that still supports ECC. I'll keep looking however.

† Christian Member †

@zparsons,

I was able to get it to $502 with a different Motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CT 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-24 17:04 EDT-0400)

But to be perfectly honest, if you or your work place has an old computer that isn't used for anything important, it could be re-utilized for this very purpose if it's an AMD system with a motherboard that supports ECC memory.

Then all you'd have to buy is the 4x1TB drives and the RAM (at least 8GB, which would be fine). Make sure the motherboard has enough SATA slots for it. What kind doesn't matter at all.

† Christian Member †