2 games now have said I have run out of vram

DeViLzzz

Over the last few months I haven't gamed that much on pc but when I have 2 games, Ravaged and Orion: Dino Horde have had times where they have kicked me out of the game for not having enough vram.  I have a PNY 2 GB GTX 670 which has been used for TF2 by my son without a hitch but not sure if he turned on max settings for that game.  Anyway what can I do to resolve this issue ?  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Fire up GPU-Z and see how much memory is shown. Either it's an issue with the game / drivers, or your memory is degraded / broken [partially].

What resolution are you playing on BTW?

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

What ressolution and detail are you running at?

EDIT: what Scia said, my first thought was some bad vram on that card..

you are not using the card for mining in the background or something either are you?

(Comming soon)

Turn down texture quality and/or resolution. Those two affect RAM usage the most. Also, distance of view, object detail would be common settings in RPGs that you might want to consider (I don't know what those two games are, so don't know the settings available).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Turn down texture quality and/or resolution. Those two affect RAM usage the most. Also, distance of view, object detail would be common settings in RPGs that you might want to consider (I don't know what those two games are, so don't know the settings available).

Add Anti-Aliasing to that list. I'm fairly certain it takes up a lot, depending on your resolution.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

To answer one of the questions I have played on 1920x1080.  I will try GPU-Z in a few minutes and let you know what it says.  As for anti-aliasing I had shut off mxsaa and left the other to 16x for the game Ravaged.  I am continuing to have issues even when turning down the settings. 

Update:  I used GPU-Z and it says I have 2048 MB of ram.

To answer one of the questions I have played on 1920x1080.  I will try GPU-Z in a few minutes and let you know what it says.  As for anti-aliasing I had shut off mxsaa and left the other to 16x for the game Ravaged.

You shouldn't run into that kinds of issues at 1080p if I am not mistaken. I don't know these two games personally but it sounds unusual. Check your GPU memory with some benchmarks and GPU-Z.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

It took quite a few matches but I just ran out of memory again with Ravaged. :Z  I think I am going to try some real games in the future that I know are by first rate publishers and see if I have a problem with them.  I have played other games without issue in the past with this card.  My son reported no issues with TF2 and I have played Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army without issue with this same card.

What ressolution and detail are you running at? EDIT: what Scia said, my first thought was some bad vram on that card.. you are not using the card for mining in the background or something either are you?

Nah I am not mining for bitcoins or whatever in the background.  As for the resolution I am running the game at well 1920x1080p is what I try to run everything at.  In regards to settings I turned them down quite a bit in my last play through and I didn't get the memory error but the game, Ravaged, did crash. LOL 

Starcraft 2 used to do the exact same thing to me on my Nvidia Geforce 570 GTX, 1,5 GB.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Well it is sad I like Ravaged so much with all the problems I am having with the game. :(

Scia you told me to run some benchmark tests.  Here we go ...

This was what I got for my Furmark 15 minute test full load.  It made it through with no issues.  Fan is set to go to 80% when the temps hit 40 degrees Celsius.

35513 frames, 39 FPS, 77°C

Resolution: 1920x1080 (FS) - AA:0 samples

FPS: min:40, max:41, avg:39 - OPTIONS: DynBkg

You're the second person now to report the exact same problem with a 670 on Orion.

With that game Orion: Dino Horde I think I had problems with the previous versions of it.  The game has had so many different names.  All I know is the current one ran no problem.

I'm almost positive something has to go wrong for games to tell you that you are out of VRAM.  Usually when you low on VRAM, they just automatically fix that by making stuff farther away disappear, etc.

Poorly developed games with vmem leaks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found a fix for Orion: Dino Horde and that was some sort of command that gave me as the user 3 GB of memory to work with and only 1 GB to Windows.  I guess it is usually a 2 GB/ 2 GB split without this command I used.

Here is where the fix was found:

http://spiralforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2317&start=10