Desktop Speakers - Around $250

zaxmazr

I currently have some Logitech Z-2300 speakers from years ago and they work great (actually some pretty good quality sound), but recently the subwoofer is pretty much unresponsive. So I think it's time to upgrade seeing I havent bought a new pair in like 4 years.

I listen to a ton of EDM, so crystal clear sound is important. I also want them to have a decent loudness. No house parties, but loud enough. I also want them for gaming as well (da!).

I know what 95% of you are going to say......Audioengine A2+. I've done a ton of research on here and that seems to fill that price range well. But honestly though, how is the sound quality of it? They look tiny and that makes me think they wont get that loud.

Are there any other nice big and box-y speakers that can pump some clear sound out?

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

I use the bose companion 2 series III and it's pretty DARN LOUD LOL (when i max the volume)

The entire table is shaking when i am blasting EDM and my neighbours pretty much complain too xD

Here's a review on the speakers! (And IT'S a $100 BOSE SPEAKERS!) http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Series-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B00CD1PTF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421456580&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+companion

(its an older version but they improved it even more!) 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Linus didn't sound too stoked about them, how do they compare with the A2's?

i personally dont own either one so i cant compare them. But i am planning to buy the listens from massdrop after i cash my check.

From the video linus seemed to like them as a desk speaker but not a room speaker for the size of them.

Blarg

i personally dont own either one so i cant compare them. But i am planning to buy the listens from massdrop after i cash my check.

From the video linus seemed to like them as a desk speaker but not a room speaker for the size of them.

I've always wondered what $500 speakers would sound like. I might give them a try. For $150, why not.

I've always wondered what $500 speakers would sound like. I might give them a try. For $150, why not.

thats my logic on it. Why not for that price.

Blarg

I'm not sure now about the listens now. I've read quite a few of negative reviews on the Massdrop discussion. 

Any other contenders? 

I actually think the YU3's are looking pretty nice at the moment