best value speakers

callmecars
Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

haha so simple, so you also say that that is better than getting a 2.1 system?

for music definitely, for movies too only real benefit for movies is well set up 5.1. 2.1 is just a way to make cheap tiny speakers sound bassy. also maybe if you have little desk space 2.1 could make sense. good old 2.0 is no compromises though.

right now I'm leaning towards a 2.1 system to provide for some shaky bass while watching movies and just casual gaming and such. oh and what I'm looking to buy right now are the Swans GT1000, they look good, allegedly sound good, and are at a good price point for me at about $170

so what would you guys recommend? I see a lot of recommendations for bookshelf speakers (and I was actually planning to go with a pair), but the lack of a subwoofer made me think if it's worth buying especially if I want some nice mini home theater experience in my little bedroom. what do you guys think? I'm also open to hearing about 5.1 or 7.1 setups if they're really worth it, and at a price point of about $200, more if it's really really worth it.

so just to mention, the purpose would be for movie watching and casual gaming with other people from a distance, since I'll be using headphones for more up close and personal gaming and video editing.

swan is good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You don't need a subwoofer for a small room. Some cheap Micca bookshelf speakers would be sufficient and are fairly bassy. Power them with a Lepai amp and use the money you save on a hot date.

You don't need a subwoofer for a small room. Some cheap Micca bookshelf speakers would be sufficient and are fairly bassy. Power them with a Lepai amp and use the money you save on a hot date.

well if I don't need a subwoofer then I'll just buy the Swans D1080 bookshelf speakers since they're pretty much the same price with the Swans GT1000, I couldn't find any Micca speakers at all at the online shops here in the Philippines, if you have any specific model in mind please tell me so that I'll ask around at stores.

well if I don't need a subwoofer then I'll just buy the Swans D1080 bookshelf speakers since they're pretty much the same price with the Swans GT1000, I couldn't find any Micca speakers at all at the online shops here in the Philippines, if you have any specific model in mind please tell me so that I'll ask around at stores.

those look sweet go for it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

those look sweet go for it.

for music definitely, for movies too only real benefit for movies is well set up 5.1. 2.1 is just a way to make cheap tiny speakers sound bassy. also maybe if you have little desk space 2.1 could make sense. good old 2.0 is no compromises though.

Spoiler

oh so the size of the 2.0 makes it have about the same bass quality as a 2.1 that doesn't really have a big subwoofer?

oh so the size of the 2.0 makes it have about the same bass quality as a 2.1 that doesn't really have a big subwoofer?

yes. those swans both have 5.25 inch drivers, that's cheapo subwoofer size.

Spoiler

yes. those swans both have 5.25 inch drivers, that's cheapo subwoofer size.

thanks for actually checking up on that, I don't really know much about what details matter and how they do matter...

now I'm planning on getting the 2.0 and adding a good subwoofer down the road to fill in the lower end gap that the 2.0 will probably have, would you recommend any?

thanks for actually checking up on that, I don't really know much about what details matter and how they do matter...

now I'm planning on getting the 2.0 and adding a good subwoofer down the road to fill in the lower end gap that the 2.0 will probably have, would you recommend any?

dayton and polk make active subs. anything above 10 inches should be enough.

Spoiler

dayton and polk make active subs. anything above 10 inches should be enough.

hey thanks a lot for the help! one last thing, would I need a DAC/AMP for this setup? if so what should I get? best for value as well, I don't care if it doesn't look sexy or whatever haha

hey thanks a lot for the help! one last thing, would I need a DAC/AMP for this setup? if so what should I get? best for value as well, I don't care if it doesn't look sexy or whatever haha

swans are active, so you don't need anything. I dunno how you would go about adding a sub.

Spoiler

swans are active, so you don't need anything. I dunno how you would go about adding a sub.

I don't' know as well haha, guess I'll have to ask around when I'm actually gonna buy one